LaunchBox Community Forums

9.2-beta-2 Released

Jason Carr

Just now, ed20910 said:

you can set joy2key to switch to a profile for a specific .exe.  i am still learning some things with it but i have a profile set up for bigbox, and one for kodi when i launch via bigbox.  when joy2key detects the kodi.exe launch, it automatically switches to the profile i have set up and when kodi closes, it switches back to the bigbox profile. To start, be sure your profile is created in joy2key.  Go to settings-Associate profiles with applications.   Select "Add", You can name the app name, chose the path of the .exe, and what profile it needs to load with that .exe.  Once added, you can select what you want joy2key to do when that particular .exe is not active.  Do nothing, it will keep that profile active, switch to last manually chosen profile, or specify a default profile to go back to.  

You can do the same with controller companion also. I think the issue he is having is he wants specific controller profiles for different dosbox games, but these programs just see the dosbox.exe, so he cant have different ones for different games in dosbox.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

You can do the same with controller companion also. I think the issue he is having is he wants specific controller profiles for different dosbox games, but these programs just see the dosbox.exe, so he cant have different ones for different games in dosbox.

Ahh, i see. i only have 1 dosbox game set up in launchbox and i am able to use joy2key to switch to a profile for that game's .exe.  i am not exactly sure how dosbox works but doesnt it load the .exe of the specific game at some point and you could point to that .exe rather than dosbox?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Belgarath said:

Xpadder can  be set to recognise different dos games, you can tell it go off the window title rather than the actual exe.

Ah, fair enough then, i have little experience with it as i found controller companion to be so much more user friendly, but i also dont use dosbox so this specific issue has never arisen for me personally.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

I tried what you suggested, hiding/unhiding mouse but this didn't make a difference, I turned off X-Mouse and another program called Dual Monitor Tools which locks mouse pointer on main monitor (seeing as they both do something with the mouse pointer) after closing these I tried Big Box again but it made no difference. I found something of the core of this problem though which makes matters worse for me personally as I used to use a work-around solution for another issue, I'll try to explain it as best as I can:

I have set Override high DPI scaling behavior for Big Box (using right click menu for Big Box icon) some time ago as my marquee monitor doesn't work otherwise. I am running this on a Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050, connecting main 4K monitor with HDMI and marquee monitor (2560x1080) from DVI to HDMI, in case it helps the analysis.

1. When set to: "System or System (Enhanced)" I have it set at this option normally, it causes the main 4K monitor to run Big Box in 1080p but with marquee monitor working, since the new 9.2 version the mouse pointer problem occurs while using this setting. Note: Big Box does actually run smoother in scrolling and text scrolling in 1080p on my system than 4K does at the moment.

2. When set to Application: When using this setting the 4K monitor runs in 4K but the marquee monitor is not being used by Big Box, I can see the marquee window minimalized when alt-tabbing in the taskbar on the main monitor but it won't activate on the marquee monitor, no matter what I do, I have tried several suggestions and logic but it doesn't work for me. This setting does not cause the mouse pointer issue.

All in all I much prefer situation 1 where Big Box runs in 1080p but the marquee monitor is working, although it's a real pain now with the mouse pointer problem as the few pixels off have become even bigger now (I think it's 200px off now) and I have to use the keyboard to navigate to the mouse options in order to revert it back. Situation 2 is a solution for the time being but I love the marquee screen as much as I love Launchbox/Big Box itself and that is a lot of love! :) Hope this problem doesn't give you a headache after all the hard work you've just done recently.

Interesting. I fixed a number of screen placement issues for this release, so please try removing all the custom stuff to see if it just works now with the marquee screen. It is possible that I still have some things to fix on the marquee screen, but I thought I caught everything and I didn't run into any issues in my testing two different monitors with different resolutions and DPIs.

Sounds like there may have to be various controller apps for various PC-based games in order to get that console feel all the way. I also found another called Antimicro when I was trying to figure out why Joy-to-Key wasn't working with my copy of Quake 4. I really wish if anything we get something like this built-in with LaunchBox / BigBox though. Not sure how far-fetched that concept can turn reality, but I'm sure most of us would sure love it without all the complications. I would almost think of it as a way DOSBox is kinda built-in with LaunchBox would be about the same on such a Controller App for it all that we can simply import a PC-based game, and just put whatever key or mouse command in place next to the controller commands. Any chance that may become a thing on down the line @Jason Carr?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RULLUR said:

Sounds like there may have to be various controller apps for various PC-based games in order to get that console feel all the way. I also found another called Antimicro when I was trying to figure out why Joy-to-Key wasn't working with my copy of Quake 4. I really wish if anything we get something like this built-in with LaunchBox / BigBox though. Not sure how far-fetched that concept can turn reality, but I'm sure most of us would sure love it without all the complications. I would almost think of it as a way DOSBox is kinda built-in with LaunchBox would be about the same on such a Controller App for it all that we can simply import a PC-based game, and just put whatever key or mouse command in place next to the controller commands. Any chance that may become a thing on down the line @Jason Carr?

It may; I have thought about it. We can probably put something like that on the next poll.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's Awesome! I haven't been checking the polls much, but hope the optional Random button placement idea is kinda doing okay. I know in the Forum it doesn't seem the most popular, but I use that thing all time so I can find a game I may've never considered trying out. Above all, Thank you for everything and knowing there is likely some hope in that happening too

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

Interesting. I fixed a number of screen placement issues for this release, so please try removing all the custom stuff to see if it just works now with the marquee screen. It is possible that I still have some things to fix on the marquee screen, but I thought I caught everything and I didn't run into any issues in my testing two different monitors with different resolutions and DPIs.

I tried what you suggested, turned off X-Mouse and Dual Monitor Tools, unchecked DPI scaling, set the default Big Box theme back and rebooted (still have fore mentioned third party software disabled). In Big Box settings when I switch the monitor settings it only shows activity on screen 1, nothing is happening for screen 2, even when I choose main monitor to screen 2 the image is only displayed on the main monitor, I do see a resolution switch of the main monitor from 3840x2160 to 2560x1080 (which is the native resolution of screen 2 the marquee monitor) so it does recognize the right res but on the wrong screen. As for the mouse pointer I narrowed it down when the pointer starts changing, this is at the moment the startup screen kicks in, the pointer changes quickly to a more blackish like loading icon, hard to explain the looks of it but when it changes it seems to be stuck on this change after and during big box.

Edited by Mr. RetroLust

So for the time being it works like it did before by disabling the startup screens and switch on the DPI system settings for the marquee to work and the main monitor in 1080p, me happy but maybe something for you to iron out, let me know if I need to try out things for testing.

Edited by Mr. RetroLust

51 minutes ago, RULLUR said:

That's Awesome! I haven't been checking the polls much, but hope the optional Random button placement idea is kinda doing okay. I know in the Forum it doesn't seem the most popular, but I use that thing all time so I can find a game I may've never considered trying out. Above all, Thank you for everything and knowing there is likely some hope in that happening too

What poll are you referring to? I don't think a random game button was on the last poll: https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-V9D22LCH8/

We can certainly put it on the next one though.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mr. RetroLust said:

Windows 10 64 bit latest updates

Can you explain your specific monitor configuration? Screenshot me this screen if you can:

image.thumb.png.b26dc4884f160f4af7df9efe61992920.pngAlso, I need to know the resolution and DPI scaling setting for each monitor. I tested this like crazy in what I thought was every possible configuration before the 9.2 release and thought I fixed all the issues. It could just be differing video card drivers though. Are you running AMD or nVidia?

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

What poll are you referring to? I don't think a random game button was on the last poll: https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-V9D22LCH8/

We can certainly put it on the next one though.

It was such a long while ago I can't remember if I even added a suggestion in to be voted on properly or not, but glad to know you'll see about making it for the next or so. So much here and there I'm trying to gather on so I can have more helpful input on things as much as possible, but I'm sure I'll eventually get the hang of it all in time

3 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Can you explain your specific monitor configuration? Screenshot me this screen if you can:

image.thumb.png.b26dc4884f160f4af7df9efe61992920.pngAlso, I need to know the resolution and DPI scaling setting for each monitor. I tested this like crazy in what I thought was every possible configuration before the 9.2 release and thought I fixed all the issues. It could just be differing video card drivers though. Are you running AMD or nVidia?

I'll pm you the screenshots and info in about 10 minutes from now 

• Like 1

Not really, I remember writing in a suggestion about the random button being placed on the dash instead if having to go in through Tools like a few months ago, and it was way less than a year ago I'm sure. I missed out on the one you're talking about, which also sounds like a fun idea too on a BigBox level of things though