LaunchBox Community Forums

9.2-beta-2 Released

Jason Carr

Hey Jason, after going through all the emulators I can say the startups work really well. The only issue I had on mine was when I exit Xenia; it looks like the emulator switches from fullscreen (I launch with the -fullscreen parameter) to windowed for a second, and then it exits properly. It's very minor, otherwise everything looks very good. Thanks again!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

New option to disable the shutdown screen in emulator settings

Can this be added as a global option (in the Options -> Startup panel)? The stuff where they're being problematic for me are ones that aren't actually using an emulator to begin with. An optional disable specifically for games that aren't using an emulator would be even better, but short of that a global disable would still work.

I am replacing my rocketlauncher fade in and out sccreens with the launchbox versions.  I understand it is not a priority to make LB work with RL, but for informational purposes, I am having the following issues after turning off RL fades.

I use RL bezels. Every time I start a game (mame for example) the bezel shows up and game screen is black/blank/hidden.  If I cycle the bezel (del key) the game screen show like normal.

The mouse is hidden when games start, but if I use my spinners for a game, the mouse cursor reappears. Some type of conflict trying to hide the mouse that was not there before.

9 hours ago, alissongamer said:

Is there any intention of adding support for Bezels as well? Because if you add Bezels support you will no longer have to use the Rocket Launcher.

Bezels are being considered for a later date, but they're immensely more difficult to accomplish (and also immensely more error prone). The proper way to do bezels is for the emulator to implement them instead of the frontend. For the frontend to do it is a serious hack and will require separate implementations for each and every emulator. Between MAME and Retroarch, most systems should already be covered I think, so I'm calling bezels the least important of the three Rocket Launcher features: startup screens, pause screens, and bezels. Pause screens will be implemented next, and then bezels will be considered at a later date.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheNewClassics said:

Hey Jason, after going through all the emulators I can say the startups work really well. The only issue I had on mine was when I exit Xenia; it looks like the emulator switches from fullscreen (I launch with the -fullscreen parameter) to windowed for a second, and then it exits properly. It's very minor, otherwise everything looks very good. Thanks again!

Great to hear. Have you tried checking the "hide all non-exclusive fullscreen mode windows" box for that emulator?

5 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

Can this be added as a global option (in the Options -> Startup panel)? The stuff where they're being problematic for me are ones that aren't actually using an emulator to begin with. An optional disable specifically for games that aren't using an emulator would be even better, but short of that a global disable would still work.

Game-specific options are planned, so that should take care of it. I plan to get those implemented next week.

1 hour ago, Bumfight214 said:

I am replacing my rocketlauncher fade in and out sccreens with the launchbox versions.  I understand it is not a priority to make LB work with RL, but for informational purposes, I am having the following issues after turning off RL fades.

I use RL bezels. Every time I start a game (mame for example) the bezel shows up and game screen is black/blank/hidden.  If I cycle the bezel (del key) the game screen show like normal.

The mouse is hidden when games start, but if I use my spinners for a game, the mouse cursor reappears. Some type of conflict trying to hide the mouse that was not there before.

If you're using Rocket Launcher, I can imagine we're probably going to run into a lot of conflicts. You may just have to turn off the LaunchBox startup screens completely in that case. I figure if you already have Rocket Launcher configured, why use the LaunchBox startup screens?

Great work! It would be great if we could set the fade screens configurations for steam games as we can for emulatores.

If I run street fighter 5, for example, the launchscreen stay on for 1 second, return to launchbox or bigbox and than the game begins.

15 minutes ago, Álvaro Maia said:

Great work! It would be great if we could set the fade screens configurations for steam games as we can for emulatores.

If I run street fighter 5, for example, the launchscreen stay on for 1 second, return to launchbox or bigbox and than the game begins.

Steam is particularly nasty to deal with because of the way that it launches games. I will play around with it a bit yet, but all in all it may honestly be impossible to do well for every game.

• Like 1

I'm still dealing with the issue where things bounce back to the previous game on LaunchBox. Thought it had to do more with when I hit Random and don't wait for the new details to update, but even going over to the next game by the one you just Edited or played will sent you right back to what you were previously on if you go from it too soon. Any chance of that ever getting fixed somehow @Jason Carr?

Edited by RULLUR

Are you trying to make RL obsolete? I can understand why as they dont seem to be updating RL anymore. Most of the official emulator modules are massivley out of date, there are new ones in the forums of you search hard enough but officially it seems like a dead project. 

Are you eventually planning to add all of the RL features? Modules etc??

18 minutes ago, nikeymikey said:

Are you trying to make RL obsolete? I can understand why as they dont seem to be updating RL anymore. Most of the official emulator modules are massivley out of date, there are new ones in the forums of you search hard enough but officially it seems like a dead project. 

15 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Bezels are being considered for a later date, but they're immensely more difficult to accomplish (and also immensely more error prone). The proper way to do bezels is for the emulator to implement them instead of the frontend. For the frontend to do it is a serious hack and will require separate implementations for each and every emulator. Between MAME and Retroarch, most systems should already be covered I think, so I'm calling bezels the least important of the three Rocket Launcher features: startup screens, pause screens, and bezels. Pause screens will be implemented next, and then bezels will be considered at a later date.

So no not a complete replacement for RocketLauncher, some of its features will, or have already been implemented but its not going to be a replacement. If you want all that extra configuration and complexity you will be better off sticking with RocketLauncher. And no i dont believe there is going to be a module system like in RocketLauncher, the idea is to make it simple to use for everyone and keeping up to date with emulator updates with modules defeats the point of this. If that is what you want then of course RocketLauncher is still there for those people.

• Like 1

@Jason CarrThe loading and end end screens are cool and I am looking forward to the pause screen.

I have one question. Could you add a "completed" button to the game details view. I don't want to switch back to Launchbox to mark a game as completed after finishin it. It would be cool if you could implment it.

Edited by deliyuerek85

45 minutes ago, deliyuerek85 said:

I have one question. Could you add a "completed" button to the game details view. I don't want to switch back to Launchbox to mark a game as completed after finishin it. It would be cool if you could implment it.

There is a Toggle Complete plugin that adds that functionality to Big Box, here:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

So no not a complete replacement for RocketLauncher, some of its features will, or have already been implemented but its not going to be a replacement. If you want all that extra configuration and complexity you will be better off sticking with RocketLauncher. And no i dont believe there is going to be a module system like in RocketLauncher, the idea is to make it simple to use for everyone and keeping up to date with emulator updates with modules defeats the point of this. If that is what you want then of course RocketLauncher is still there for those people.

It s a shame that RL seems to dead update wise, it could of been beneficial if Jason and the RL folks has worked together.

Just now, nikeymikey said:

It s a shame that RL seems to dead update wise, it could of been beneficial if Jason and the RL folks has worked together.

There is a difference in philosophy though, Launchbox aims to be easy to use for everyone out of the box, while RocketLauncher aims for wide configuration so therefore complexity. The two don't go well together unfortunately.

15 hours ago, ZeSystem said:

If you search for a game on LaunchBox, the counts don't update unless you click on each platform

Yeah, I'm aware of this issue. It's on my list so hopefully I can get it fixed before the official.

5 hours ago, RULLUR said:

I'm still dealing with the issue where things bounce back to the previous game on LaunchBox. Thought it had to do more with when I hit Random and don't wait for the new details to update, but even going over to the next game by the one you just Edited or played will sent you right back to what you were previously on if you go from it too soon. Any chance of that ever getting fixed somehow @Jason Carr?

I still haven't been able to replicate this and I don't believe I've heard about it anywhere else either, so I'm kind of lost with it. Can you maybe record a video of it happening?

3 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

No, the intention is not to completely replace the design of Rocket Launcher. We do have plugin support of course, but for the startup screens, the goal is to make it simple and "just work", not to make it scriptable and endlessly complicated. I very much doubt we'll ever take that route.

• Like 1