LaunchBox Community Forums

9.2-beta-2 Released

Jason Carr

19 hours ago, horse said:

problem with themes is im a novice and cant really code or know where to start, i mean if there was a onscreen gui type thing to allow easy theming then i would spend the time and place where i want say my console logo , what png/jpg to use for what platform and where i would like to place my launchbox 2d cover, clear art and loading symbol/text on screen.

pehaps maybe in the future that aspects of customizing be made easy for novice''s and noobs liek myself who want to standout and make there own vision but without the tech know how of some of these coding gods who reside on the forums :)

I'm also dumb as a bag of bricks, but even I noticed words and terms in the xaml, so very very slightly edited the default and released my own. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just tested the newest beta and getting the following issue in Bigbox / launchbox.  I have a rocketlauncher setup , using retroarch  as emulator through rocketlauncher, with fade in , and bezels. 

1)  in both bigbox and launchbox when I load a game I get the launchbox startup screen, then the rocketlauncher screen, and then a black screen over my emulator (can hear sound in the background) (In BigBox I can actually see the emulator for 2 seconds without any bezels and then the blackscreen)

Disabling the new startup screens in launchbox fixed this issue for me, however in bigbox the issue still persists (it ends up showing the rocketlaucher startup and then a blackscreen over my emulator when I disable the new startups) ( did I not disable something properly in Bigbox? I looked through all the options and unclicked enable startup screen)

2) In Bigbox if i press escape I can sometimes get out of the emulator, however launchbox is now not the primary window, causing me to have to press the mouse to get it to the primary window

3) I then Tried disabling fadein screen through rocketlauncher, and through BigBox, I am now able to get into the game in BigBox with Bezels.

4) With fadein disabled in rocketlauncher,  and startup screens enabled in BigBox = can get into game but only see my bezels and no emulator /sound ( I notice the BigBox startup screens don't transition as niceley as the rocketlaucher ones (eg. the bezels appear after the startup screen finishes)

5) With Fadein and bezels disabled in rocketlauncher, and startup screen enabled in BigBox = working

Does anyone  have Rocketlauncher fadein enabled, bezels enabled, and Bigbox startup disabled working? I am hoping I can at least  find a solution to have rocketlauncher running in the background in BigBox , as Its still awesome for bezels and joytokey per game profiles. However after testing it seems like the new startup screens even when disabled are still interfering with rocketlauncher fadeins.  So either I choose  no fadins or no bezels or no bigbox right now. 

Edited by elements604

33 minutes ago, elements604 said:

Just tested the newest beta and getting the following issue in Bigbox / launchbox.  I have a rocketlauncher setup , using retroarch  as emulator through rocketlauncher, with fade in , and bezels. 

1)  in both bigbox and launchbox when I load a game I get the launchbox startup screen, then the rocketlauncher screen, and then a black screen over my emulator (can hear sound in the background) (In BigBox I can actually see the emulator for 2 seconds without any bezels and then the blackscreen)

Disabling the new startup screens in launchbox fixed this issue for me, however in bigbox the issue still persists (it ends up showing the rocketlaucher startup and then a blackscreen over my emulator when I disable the new startups) ( did I not disable something properly in Bigbox? I looked through all the options and unclicked enable startup screen)

2) In Bigbox if i press escape I can sometimes get out of the emulator, however launchbox is now not the primary window, causing me to have to press the mouse to get it to the primary window

3) I then Tried disabling fadein screen through rocketlauncher, and through BigBox, I am now able to get into the game in BigBox with Bezels.

4) With fadein disabled in rocketlauncher,  and startup screens enabled in BigBox = can get into game but only see my bezels and no emulator /sound ( I notice the BigBox startup screens don't transition as niceley as the rocketlaucher ones (eg. the bezels appear after the startup screen finishes)

5) With Fadein and bezels disabled in rocketlauncher, and startup screen enabled in BigBox = working

Does anyone  have Rocketlauncher fadein enabled, bezels enabled, and Bigbox startup disabled working? I am hoping I can at least  find a solution to have rocketlauncher running in the background in BigBox , as Its still awesome for bezels and joytokey per game profiles. However after testing it seems like the new startup screens even when disabled are still interfering with rocketlauncher fadeins.  So either I choose  no fadins or no bezels or no bigbox right now. 

The startup and shutdown screens will not be compatible with Rocket Launcher for the time being, so a hybrid approach isn't supported, at least not yet. That said, you should be able to turn them completely off in Big Box, and there should be no difference to how it launches now than before the startup screens were added in. You can turn them completely off under Options > Game Startup > Enable Startup Screen. I just tested this and confirmed that it is turning it off. Can you re-check to make sure that that setting is off? There are separate settings for both LaunchBox and Big Box to disable the startup screens.

3 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

The startup and shutdown screens will not be compatible with Rocket Launcher for the time being, so a hybrid approach isn't supported, at least not yet. That said, you should be able to turn them completely off in Big Box, and there should be no difference to how it launches now than before the startup screens were added in. You can turn them completely off under Options > Game Startup > Enable Startup Screen. I just tested this and confirmed that it is turning it off. Can you re-check to make sure that that setting is off? There are separate settings for both LaunchBox and Big Box to disable the startup screens.

Hi Jason, Sorry for wasting time, I just checked again and disabling enable startup screen in BigBox options is now working for me with rocketlauncher fadeins and bezels.  Not sure what was going on before. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Go Tools > Options > General > Updates and check the box to Update to Beta Releases. Then just restart and it should update (it might download in the background if you have Backup Updates checked).

Thanks! Got it.

• Like 1

So I went to HDMI my Laptop to my Projector setup for BigBox and seems for some reason my Demul stuff isn't opening up to play any Naomi, Naomi 2, Atomiswave, Hikaru. or any other Non-Dreamcast stuff. Keep in mind I don't have any Dreamcast stuff going though this since I use that on my actual console, so I have no idea if any of that also fails to work in Demul. Also Mednafen speeds up so much and has no sound now as I run Atari Lynx though it.

Not sure if this is due to the newer Beta or somehow something weird when I go to HDMI things as it already seems to have problems when I use RetroArch through my Projector in the past even when I went through all the mrror settings within RetroArch as some had suggested too.

I know @Jason Carr was saying he worked on some Demul related issues earlier..but I think I'll update and see how it all goes in a non-HDMI way with the same stuff or not. I'm also thinking some of my Demul settings aren't set all the way correctly either in a way that seem to kinda work on some ROMs, but failed on others to now seems none of them are working as I HDMI through BigBox for it all

Just went to the normal non-HDMI route for everything again and seems all is well unless I hook it up to my Projector. Not sure why things with Mednafen speed up with no sound and why I'm unable to run Demul stuff or even RetroArch via LaunchBox or BigBox when using HDMI. I'm able to do RetroArch manually through HDMI though, so I'm really unsure as to why it gets kinda screwy that way, and as to what all may needed to make this work the same in both HDMI and non-HDMI setups for me.

Edited by RULLUR
  • Like 1

When connected to the projector, check your monitor refresh rate in your graphics settings and see if it is different from your non-HDMI settings. Either way, this is not beta related in my opinion so you can create a topic in the Troubleshooting section if you have further issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charco said:

When connected to the projector, check your monitor refresh rate in your graphics settings and see if it is different from your non-HDMI settings. Either way, this is not beta related in my opinion so you can create a topic in the Troubleshooting section if you have further issues.

True..and will do.

16 minutes ago, deliyuerek85 said:

Ok, there is no response to my last comment ?

I will no longer bother you with my requests, which seem to not interest any other person. Sorry.

I think so many here have various ways they have things set and some may not seem the most popular in looking more into. I'm sure we all at times have an idea on a feature to be put in LaunchBox and/or BigBox, but from my understanding is it tends to get voted on and if the community at most agrees on it, then it gets worked in later on when @Jason Carr can get through the almost endless list of things he's constantly working on to make things as awesome as can be in hopes to satisfy all types tastes of gaming setups to each in how they feel is best for them. So basically don't shut yourself out on things even if they aren't the most popular to others because one day an idea actually might get put in all this. Like I'm just being patient on hoping the Random button can also be placed optionally on the LaunchBox dash without having to drag down from "Tools" and maybe give BigBox one as well. Just don't give up hope

Edited by RULLUR
  • Like 1

Yeah of courso you are right. But my frustration is because that I have so many "additional applications" for most of my games now. For example, it is weird that the a game startup screen appears if I open an article/pdf or play a commercial video of that game and it closes with a "game over" screen. For my understanding, the "additional apps" section meant not only for alternate versions of that specific game. If that is so, than I obviously misunderstood the concept of that section.

Please don't get me wrong. I am wery much appreciating the hard work that Jason is putting into this project. I'm only a little bit frustrated, that something that I was completely satisfied with, is changed now. ?

Edited by deliyuerek85
  • Like 1

Steam doesn't work for me, whenever Steam's "Launching Game" window appears, the fade goes away  and sends you back to the frontend once that pesky window disappears. Then the game launches after a while.

By the way, I started experimenting with the startup themes and ended up making one for myself, It's in the download section in case anyone wants to check it out. 

3 hours ago, deliyuerek85 said:

Yeah of courso you are right. But my frustration is because that I have so many "additional applications" for most of my games now. For example, it is weird that the a game startup screen appears if I open an article/pdf or play a commercial video of that game and it closes with a "game over" screen. For my understanding, the "additional apps" section meant not only for alternate versions of that specific game. If that is so, than I obviously misunderstood the concept of that section.

Please don't get me wrong. I am very much appreciating the hard work that Jason is putting into this project. I'm only a little bit frustrated, that something that I was completely satisfied with, is changed now. ?

Additional apps is meant to be used to run an app WITH the game (such as joy2key), that's why you're getting startup and game over screens... you're supposed to be playing the game. To do what you want, you should be launching the game through rocket launcher with hyperpause and look at the articles/commericals through the pause screen while in game.

That is, until pause screens become a thing in launchbox, assuming Jason allows us to access pdf files and videos through it.

Launchbox will eventually be replacing the need for rocketlauncher altogether and you don't need to update launchbox. So keep you settings as is, use an odler version of launchbox and when launchbox features replace the need for rocketlauncher altogether, take the time and make the effort to update at that point if you feel you need to.

But as was stated before, the issue isn't that no one cares, it's that you're posting in the wrong place.

Edited by mcfilmmakers

5 minutes ago, mcfilmmakers said:

Additional apps is meant to be used to run an app WITH the game (such as joy2key), that's why you're getting startup and game over screens... you're supposed to be playing the game. To do what you want, you should be launching the game through rocket launcher with hyperpause and look at the articles/commericals through the pause screen while in game.

That is, until pause screens become a thing in launchbox, assuming Jason allows us to access pdf files and videos through it.

Launchbox will eventually be replacing the need for rocketlauncher altogether and you don't need to update launchbox. So keep you settings as is, use an odler version of launchbox and when launchbox features replace the need for rocketlauncher altogether, take the time and make the effort to update at that point if you feel you need to.

But as was stated before, the issue isn't that no one cares, it's that you're posting in the wrong place.

That the feature is meant to run an app WITH the game makes no sense, because if you don't activate one of the options that launches the app before or after the game it starts seperately.

I have never used rocketlauncher and don't ever want to use it. Why should I launch a game to read an article about it or to watch a comercial. That makes no sense neither. It only makes sense for manuals or guides.

Anyway, I don't want to bother the thread with this topic.

1 minute ago, deliyuerek85 said:

That the feature is meant to run an app WITH the game makes no sense, because if you don't activate one of the options that launches the app before or after the game it starts seperately.

I have never used rocketlauncher and don't ever want to use it. Why should I launch a game to read an article about it or to watch a comercial. That makes no sense neither. It only makes sense for manuals or guides.

Anyway, I don't want to bother the thread with this topic.

Then please explain what "additional" means.

25 minutes ago, mcfilmmakers said:

This is incorrect. You can put literally anything you want in there - it doesn't have to be launched in tandem with the game. I have, for example, stuff like this as an additional app for games where relevant (in this case for Neuromancer):

http://www.classicgaming.cc/pc/neuromancer/codewheel

You can literally just paste a URL in there and it'll work (in the above case it just pulls it up in my browser). You can put anything in there. All "additional" means is... in addition to the base game. Doesn't necessarily mean with the base game (although it can be that too). Unless you tell it to "launch before/after main application" it's literally just treating it like any other shortcut on your computer.

I will admit that I wouldn't want a startup/shutdown for something like that codewheel. It's not exactly an emergency though either. Jason's already answered this - it's something that'll need to be done but probably won't be for this release.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zombeaver said:

This is incorrect. You can put literally anything you want in there - it doesn't have to be launched in tandem with the game. I have, for example, stuff like this as an additional app for games where relevant (in this case for Neuromancer):

http://www.classicgaming.cc/pc/neuromancer/codewheel

You can literally just paste a URL in there and it'll work. You can put anything in there. All "additional" means is... in addition to the base game. Doesn't necessarily mean with the base game (although it can be that too).

I will admit that I wouldn't want a startup/shutdown for something like that codewheel. It's not exactly an emergency though either. Jason's already answered this - it's something that'll need to be done but probably won't be for this release.

Please take the time to read what I say correctly. I said the feature is MEANT to launch ADDITIONAL apps in tandem with the game. That does not exclude the ability to launch any app without a game. The question at hand is what the INTENDED PURPOSE of the feature is, not what the feature can do.