LaunchBox Community Forums

9.8-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

Hey all, the first 9.8 beta is out. I do plan to tackle pause screens for this release, but I wanted to get at least one thing out of the way first. This first beta adds the ability to bind up to four different keys to each function in Big Box, primarily so that up to four players can control Big Box at once from keyboard-based arcade controller boards.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Any chance of a overview about the type of pause mode your thinking of

ie/   like a video pause so you can awnser a doorbell etc.

or jump to a whole menu screen with options

a simple overlay for controls / maps / protection sheets etc

and if one of the latter two , will there be scrapper options

10 hours ago, salyangel said:

I would like an easy add bezel like adding donwload images/media :)

If/when we do tackle bezels, they will require Retroarch or MAME, and will tie into those emulators, as that is the only proper way to do bezels without horrible hacks (they need to be handled by the emulator itself). There is a bezel project out there right now (simply called "The Bezel Project") that is basically doing everything already though, so I don't look at it as a high priority. It may still end up on the next community poll.

5 minutes ago, drphobus said:

Any chance of a overview about the type of pause mode your thinking of

ie/   like a video pause so you can awnser a doorbell etc.

or jump to a whole menu screen with options

a simple overlay for controls / maps / protection sheets etc

and if one of the latter two , will there be scrapper options

The plan is for pause screens to jump to a Big Box-type interface with options, similar to the way that Rocket Launcher currently works. Not promising all Rocket Launcher features, however. I'm not sure what you mean by "scrapper options".

• Like 1

Beta 2 is out now with the following:

- New Premium Feature: Big Box now has "Keyboard Automation" features similar to the existing Controller Automation features, primarily for keyboard-based arcade boards that are lacking in buttons. You can enable and configure the keys in the Big Box options under Keyboard Automation; this will allow you to use key combinations instead of individual keys for closing games, focusing Big Box, or turning the volume up or down.

- Improvement: LaunchBox screenshots in the game details sidebar are now in order based on your screenshot priority settings

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

The plan is for pause screens to jump to a Big Box-type interface with options, similar to the way that Rocket Launcher currently works. Not promising all Rocket Launcher features, however. I'm not sure what you mean by "scrapper options".

Sorry  thought I would get away without a spelling checker ( I never seem to learn).

I just meant a scraper  similar to getting manuals, for maps, walkthrough’s (not that i need them ? much) and  a notes for old retro computers that need keyboard input to run games .

2 minutes ago, garbanzo said:

Will pause screens be able to display per-game images? It would be great to be able to look up moves while learning new fighting games, or to check maps in massive Metroidvania style games. Or even just to view pics of controls for MAME games (https://emumovies.com/files/file/684-mame-control-panels-pack/)

Yes, that is the plan. I plan to use the same theming engine as the rest of Big Box.

• Thanks 2
  • Game On 1

Just now, drphobus said:

Sorry  thought I would get away without a spelling checker ( I never seem to learn).

I just meant a scraper  similar to getting manuals, for maps, walkthrough’s (not that i need them ? much) and  a notes for old retro computers that need keyboard input to run games .

I don't currently plan to add a bunch more image types, at least not for this release. I can see that being a great opportunity going forward though, for sure. For now, one of the existing image types can be adapted.

Just now, DOS76 said:

yeah best if that comes up is to just cancel and take a few heartbeats then try to start the program again.

I admit I get pretty impulsive about all this Ha!Ha!Ha! So little time I have in which I work on making all these games right. Even my Fiancee thinks I need to chill