LaunchBox Community Forums

9.10-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

I really hope the Pinball stuff could at least be on hold or something and not totally given up on. I like the idea of it being handled the same as Arcade where you may have to use different Emulators, Apps, Programs & etc for different ones..yet still are Categorized under Pinball. I really hope with all these great minds of those who have dealt with Pinball on this level in various ways can manage to make this a dream come true. I guess if you really think about it..there really isn't as big of a fan base within Pinball this way as we would like as much as anything else that gets Emulated..and ever there were times when some Emulation probably had its difficulties in getting itself right too which mainly took time and many brilliant minds to come together in making it work better and better. I just hope the same will come of Pinball where things eventually get figured out as a community while more demand is behind it to be pushed to be easier to deal with too. If things just stay divided and frustrating about getting Pinball right while some behave as they do who work on it then it will only run off those who even thought it to be a really cool thing only to find more frustration than fun in it. I really don't wanna see it take several more years for the community to finally come together and give us a drama-free Pinball on a digital landscape.

You know the Pinball community is bad if you got @Jason Carr giving up on it now when all he wanted to do is bring together something cool to it and make things so much easier for all the gamers in the world. At this point I don't know I can express enough on how upset this has got me after knowing something that already has frustrated me is found to have a messed up side within a community that should be about having fun with Pinball simply on your PC or even GPD Win or whatever without Codes. Egotistical "Rights", and so on. I swear it seems more and more easier to buy the real Pinball Machines than it is to play it on a digital scale as I read on about all this. Again I know we have some great minds here in there Forum and I know eventually you all will figure it out, and with knowing that I can feel a little more hopeful and chill about making Pinball so much easier to get up and playing through LaunchBox

Edited by RULLUR

4 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I'm so sorry guys, but I'm giving up on pinball for now. It's just too much of a mess. It's of course already possible to use LaunchBox just fine with pinball, but with so many roadblocks in place towards making it easy, I don't really see the point in optimizing it all. Unless we can make it a straightforward process, it's not really worth the effort, and as best I can tell there really isn't a way to make it a straightforward process at all.

Well I'm sorry (to you and everyone else) if I discouraged you from tackling pinball. If anyone could figure it out, it would be you. Maybe you can move on to something else and let this perk in the back of your mind for a while. Maybe you'll have an epiphany moment!

19 hours ago, Suhrvivor said:

I like the default image idea!

Can you please add default images for "cart - back" and "fanart cart - back", since those usually look the same for all games it's a good idea to just have the same default image for all titles of a platform.

I agree, I think it's the perfect use case for this feature. I've never used cart back images, but I totally would if they had this feature.

Edited by Omen

11 minutes ago, Drodrick said:

I Have a little question, what is the use for the Device in the add platform image context menu? Can i see the device of every platform inside bigbox?

image.thumb.png.1e7d7e0c98456aa4b6d3f651b7164aa6.png

Its a image of the platform, like in your case you can see the image of the GBA behind those lists. It can be shown in Bigbox themes if they are coded to use it.

20 hours ago, JaysArcade said:

Well I'm sorry (to you and everyone else) if I discouraged you from tackling pinball. If anyone could figure it out, it would be you. Maybe you can move on to something else and let this perk in the back of your mind for a while. Maybe you'll have an epiphany moment!

Honestly, I really appreciate your bluntness and honesty. There are still a million other great features to tackle, and the more time I spend spinning my wheels on something that isn't really going to work out, the longer it takes to be productive.

Per the backs of carts and generic boxes, it seems pretty strange to me to want to look at the blank back of a cart or box. I can add that to my list, but I probably won't be prioritizing it for this release.

I'm currently working on prioritizing ideas and new features and such for the next poll. I'm also trying to decide if we should put a new poll out either before or after the next release; I may just add a bunch of quality of life things in for this release and then focus on the poll afterwards. Either way, I plan on announcing and having a live stream discussion as far as what to put on the poll.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Unusual Gem 1

I'm a huge digital pinball fan (the real ones are hard to maintain and move around). I'm actually glad the resources are being pulled for something more productive as well. Just adding to the discussion that I agree with the decision to move on.

Really excited to see what will be on the next poll!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ZeSystem said:

I'm a huge digital pinball fan (the real ones are hard to maintain and move around). I'm actually glad the resources are being pulled for something more productive as well. Just adding to the discussion that I agree with the decision to move on.

I agree with you. Pinball is such a different animal. It almost needs it's own frontend, separate from Launchbox. Although its still great that we can launch tables if we want to go through the trouble of figuring it out.

@Jason Carr, since Pinball is still an interest for some of us, would it be a good idea to have a separate forum category for it? Maybe call it the Unofficial Pinball Support or something like that? I'm sure there are plenty of us that could step in and answer set up questions since it is not exactly a straightforward process. Just a thought. No big deal either way.

• Like 3

Just now, Evil_Orko said:

Is there any way you can look into importing individual Windows games?  It's such a pain right now choosing a random emulator and then removing the emulator after the import with batch edit.  

There are many better ways to do that these days, the easiest of which is to just drag the EXE over and select "None of the Above" on import.

3 hours ago, JaysArcade said:

I agree with you. Pinball is such a different animal. It almost needs it's own frontend, separate from Launchbox. Although its still great that we can launch tables if we want to go through the trouble of figuring it out.

@Jason Carr, since Pinball is still an interest for some of us, would it be a good idea to have a separate forum category for it? Maybe call it the Unofficial Pinball Support or something like that? I'm sure there are plenty of us that could step in and answer set up questions since it is not exactly a straightforward process. Just a thought. No big deal either way.

Certainly; we can add a forum category here shortly. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Evil_Orko said:

Is there any way you can look into importing individual Windows games?  It's such a pain right now choosing a random emulator and then removing the emulator after the import with batch edit.  

This has been implemented for a long long time, drag the file onto Launchbox and choose the "none of the above" option.

Ok i never noticed that you could just drag them into LB.  That works for now but will be really slow to do unless I only need one or two.  Can you add an option under the "import Windows games" that is like the "import roms from files wizard" so we can add multiple games in and have them search the database, get artwork, etc?

11 hours ago, Evil_Orko said:

Ok i never noticed that you could just drag them into LB.  That works for now but will be really slow to do unless I only need one or two.  Can you add an option under the "import Windows games" that is like the "import roms from files wizard" so we can add multiple games in and have them search the database, get artwork, etc?

You can drag a whole folder full of shortcuts/.exe's onto Launchbox and import/scrape them all in bulk.

901149542_Screenshot(197).thumb.png.06f78cf6fbf7fe5787f22a8f44ab0d4e.png1057432924_Screenshot(198).thumb.png.6686e14df8dd6ebb28d28bc120faac45.png477286649_Screenshot(199).thumb.png.b8f46ba53a6338788a29d80a8df77528.png

22 hours ago, Evil_Orko said:

There is an import Windows games option in the wizard, and it's pretty much as good as importing random Windows games can get. You can always search the file system for EXE files and import those though instead.

10 hours ago, wallmachine said:

when on Platform View if press the Up Arrow then Down Arrow or sometimes double press Down Arrow and then press Enter the game launches from the Platform View...

This is a known issue and happens when Big Box custom themes use the views that contain the favorites and recent boxes from the default view, but don't have them in the theme. As of yet, I haven't figured out a way to disable this for themes that don't have the boxes displayed.

1 hour ago, Crush said:

Visual Pinball doesn't need anything special to add it to Launchbox...

The command-line parameters are: -minimized /exit /play

Capture.PNG

Yeah, it's probably not difficult to set up from that perspective. Imports with metadata and media are the main issues.

Beta 2 is out now with the following:

• Improvement: Added Viking's new Colorful 4K platform videos to the platform video downloader; they are highly recommended, give them a shot and then give Viking some thanks on the forums.
  • Improvement: Added default emulator settings for Cemu, PPSSPP, and Redream

Also, I just released Music Box Alpha 0.18 with metadata/tag editing: https://forums.musicboxalpha.com/topic/186-music-box-alpha-018-released/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2