LaunchBox Community Forums

10.2-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

4 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

If we can confirm that a particular image on the games db is broken, then we should probably just remove that image from the DB. I doubt there are very many though.

The pause screens can cause issues like this if they're not configured correctly for a particular emulator. Most likely you'll just need to play with the settings to get them to work correctly.

Most likely this is caused by a permissions issue on that network drive. I would expect that it's exactly as it says, that it's unable to create that folder. You'll need to check the permissions to make sure that it's able to create folders in that Z:\ROMS folder. It also may be incorrect referring to a folder that does not exist, which is why it's trying to create it in the first place.

@Jason Carr: Thank you sir for the reply. I do think it is a permissions issue, I think it is some of the later windows updates causing a lot of issues for me. I took and renamed my LB directory, created a new directory (using old name) put a blank copy in in it of v10.1 and scanned in a couple systems using the same path and could edit, clean them fine, so I thought I would copy my data files, images, videos, etc into new directory, the problem returned. So it isn't the beta version. .What is strange is the same setup has been fine for over a year. The NAS is connected to the same router that it always has been and no changes made in it, so it has to be something in the windows updates. I also noticed RA is not seeing my mapped drives anymore, but I can run a "net use" command to map a drive and it will then see them only till I reboot. If I put a script or  bat file to run the "net use" on boot (startup) it doesn't work for RA, only if I run it after system has booted up. Of course Windows see's them, but applications do not????

Even though the "net use" helps RA, it doesn't help LB. For now the only thing that seems to fix things is to delete every single system one at a time and scan them back in.

If anyone has any ideas or thoughts, please do share....

Edited by Wanderer189

4 minutes ago, Wanderer189 said:

@Jason Carr: Thank you sir for the reply. I do think it is a permissions issue, I think it is some of the later windows updates causing a lot of issues for me. I took and renamed my LB directory, created a new directory (using old name) put a blank copy in in it of v10.1 and scanned in a couple systems using the same path and could edit, clean them fine, so I thought I would copy my data files, images, videos, etc into new directory, the problem returned. So it isn't the beta version. .What is strange is the same setup has been fine for over a year. The NAS is connected to the same router that it always has been and no changes made in it, so it has to be something in the windows updates. I also noticed RA is not seeing my mapped drives anymore, but I can run a "net use" command to map a drive and it will then see them only till I reboot. If I put a script or  bat file to run the "net use" startup it doesn't work for either, only if I run it after system has booted up. Of course Windows see's them, but applications do not????

Even though the "net use" helps RA, it doesn't help LB. For now the only thing that seems to fix things is to delete every single system one at a time and scan them back in.

If anyone has any dideas or thoghts, please do share....

I would think that the issue would have more to do with your NAS device than anything on your Windows PC. I don't know anything about your NAS, but maybe file system permissions got messed up on the NAS.

44 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I would think that the issue would have more to do with your NAS device than anything on your Windows PC. I don't know anything about your NAS, but maybe file system permissions got messed up on the NAS.

I really don't know at this point to be honest, if it were permissions on the NAS I would think I might have issues with Nvidea Shields, but they are all fine using the same roms. Then I thought maybe it was the permissions in LB Data folder may have gotten messed up on the PC or at least the files within Data directory, since I can delete the a system, scan them back in and the work fine. When they are newly created, they work. I tried pulling the Data directory from a backup done a week ago, they have the same issue, maybe I can see how far my backups go and try checking that...

1 minute ago, Wanderer189 said:

I really don't know at this point to be honest, if it were permissions on the NAS I would think I might have issues with Nvidea Shields, but they are all fine using the same roms. Then I thought maybe it was the permissions in LB Data folder may have gotten messed up on the PC or at least the files within Data directory, since I can delete the a system, scan them back in and the work fine. When they are newly created, they work. I tried pulling the Data directory from a backup done a week ago, they have the same issue, maybe I can see how far my backups go and try checking that...

Keep in mind that the error is showing up because it's trying to *write* to that folder on the NAS. In that case, anything would be able to read it without issues, hence the Shield being able to read the ROMs. The permissions issue is happening when LaunchBox tries to create a directory, which basically means writing to the folder. Local permissions most likely have nothing to do with it.

10 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Keep in mind that the error is showing up because it's trying to *write* to that folder on the NAS. In that case, anything would be able to read it without issues, hence the Shield being able to read the ROMs. The permissions issue is happening when LaunchBox tries to create a directory, which basically means writing to the folder. Local permissions most likely have nothing to do with it.

I know this is a stupid question, but why would LB be trying to write to where the roms are stored? LB/BB, the themes, images, videos everything but roms are on the PC???? If it is trying to write to a folder on the NAS drive, what is it trying to write??? Especially trying to do a clean up???

Just now, Wanderer189 said:

I know this is a stupid question, but why would LB be trying to write to where the roms are stored? LB/BB, the themes, images, videos everything but roms are on the PC???? If it is trying to write to a folder on the NAS drive, what is it trying to write??? Especially trying to do a clean up???

Look at the exact error message you posted. It's trying to create that folder, because something in your collection is referring to it. It's that simple.

11 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Look at the exact error message you posted. It's trying to create that folder, because something in your collection is referring to it. It's that simple.

I know my friend, I know. But if I have absolutely have everything to do with LB on the PC except for the roms, say for example Atari 2600, I open LB and the path to the roms is:  \\Zizzlezazzle\nas-1\ROMS\Atari 2600 in the audit or xml file. I can right click on the system and choose edit and it immediately throws that error and crashes. I can then re-open LB, right click on the same system, and choose delete. It delets it without error. Then I can go right into import, choose the exact same path to the same folder on the NAS. It will import the games as it is suppose to. When finished, I can again right click on the newly created Atari 2600 system and it is fixed, goes right into the edit as it is suppose to.

This is why I am confused.  What part of this would LB be needing write permissions to the location of the rom files, is not everything by default saved within the primary LB directory (which on the internal drive of the pc) (I don't know anything about where game save states and all that  are saved, I have never used them)

I have no clue why it is throwing a write error period, simply by clicking on edit of a system, I would think it would only need to read the info until a change was made where it would need to then write something, but again, back into the LB directory, not on the NAS.

And if I try to clean a system, should it not go look for the roms that are in the path, match to the xml file in LB then simply remove missing items from the xml file, again, why would it throw write errors using the NAS path, when all the files are on the PC (D:\Gaming\Apps\Launchbox\ to be exact.)

I know you know tons more of this stuff than I. Let me ask you this. If I create a new system, leave everything default in LB (D:\Gaming\Apps\Launchbox\), except choose a path to roms on the NAS (\\Zizzlezazzle\nas-1\ROMS\New System), does LB ever write anything to the directory where the roms are????

Like I said, you know way more than I, It has me totally stumped. I really don't mind deleting and re-importing everything, well, suppose I don't have a choice right now...hahaha The error message is confusing to me, because why would the procedure(s) I am trying to do, be writing to a path where LB is not even stored, but I can delete a system, re-create it the exact same way and the problem is gone??? I know this is changing no permissions on the NAS or any of the rom files stored on it., Ya know.

Again, thanks Jason for the replies, means a lot to all us users

1 hour ago, Wanderer189 said:

I know my friend, I know. But if I have absolutely have everything to do with LB on the PC except for the roms, say for example Atari 2600, I open LB and the path to the roms is:  \\Zizzlezazzle\nas-1\ROMS\Atari 2600 in the audit or xml file. I can right click on the system and choose edit and it immediately throws that error and crashes. I can then re-open LB, right click on the same system, and choose delete. It delets it without error. Then I can go right into import, choose the exact same path to the same folder on the NAS. It will import the games as it is suppose to. When finished, I can again right click on the newly created Atari 2600 system and it is fixed, goes right into the edit as it is suppose to.

This is why I am confused.  What part of this would LB be needing write permissions to the location of the rom files, is not everything by default saved within the primary LB directory (which on the internal drive of the pc) (I don't know anything about where game save states and all that  are saved, I have never used them)

I have no clue why it is throwing a write error period, simply by clicking on edit of a system, I would think it would only need to read the info until a change was made where it would need to then write something, but again, back into the LB directory, not on the NAS.

And if I try to clean a system, should it not go look for the roms that are in the path, match to the xml file in LB then simply remove missing items from the xml file, again, why would it throw write errors using the NAS path, when all the files are on the PC (D:\Gaming\Apps\Launchbox\ to be exact.)

I know you know tons more of this stuff than I. Let me ask you this. If I create a new system, leave everything default in LB (D:\Gaming\Apps\Launchbox\), except choose a path to roms on the NAS (\\Zizzlezazzle\nas-1\ROMS\New System), does LB ever write anything to the directory where the roms are????

Like I said, you know way more than I, It has me totally stumped. I really don't mind deleting and re-importing everything, well, suppose I don't have a choice right now...hahaha The error message is confusing to me, because why would the procedure(s) I am trying to do, be writing to a path where LB is not even stored, but I can delete a system, re-create it the exact same way and the problem is gone??? I know this is changing no permissions on the NAS or any of the rom files stored on it., Ya know.

Again, thanks Jason for the replies, means a lot to all us users

The error says it's looking for a Z:\ drive, which I assume was a mapped network drive that you had at least at one point. Most likely you have a game or a platform that points to that Z:\ drive. If it no longer exists, you should find and change that path in your collection. LaunchBox will automatically try and create any missing folders when it looks for files. That's the reason for the error. No, LaunchBox does not write to ROM folders unless you ask it to.

15 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

The error says it's looking for a Z:\ drive, which I assume was a mapped network drive that you had at least at one point. Most likely you have a game or a platform that points to that Z:\ drive. If it no longer exists, you should find and change that path in your collection. LaunchBox will automatically try and create any missing folders when it looks for files. That's the reason for the error. No, LaunchBox does not write to ROM folders unless you ask it to.

I FOUND it Jason!!! I started by checking the individual platform.xml files looking for anything with Z:\ROMS in the path, nothing there. But when I looked in the Platforms.xml file. It was showing Z:\ROMS in many places. I made a copy of the file, did a search and replace in notepad++ and replaced all the Z:\ROMS with \\Zizzlezazzle\nas-1\ROMS and every is working perfect again. Your last reply got me pointed to it. Thank you much Jason, You're awesome!!!

• Like 1

Okay, so another Pause Menu issue happened with KEGA Fusion when I played Gauntlet for SEGA MasterSystem and what happens is the pause screen looks cropped off into the upper left which leaves the rest of the screen to look black, but when you return is where the game looks shoved over to the left with the game now looking several shades of green

6 hours ago, RULLUR said:

Okay, so another Pause Menu issue happened with KEGA Fusion when I played Gauntlet for SEGA MasterSystem and what happens is the pause screen looks cropped off into the upper left which leaves the rest of the screen to look black, but when you return is where the game looks shoved over to the left with the game now looking several shades of green

This sounds like an issue with the screen resolution changing. That can cause issues, so I would suggest changing the emulator settings to always use the native resolution, if possible.

4 hours ago, Android16 said:

Control is working for me again today. Wasn't yesterday before this new update. But bigbox is always soft crashing when pressing BACK button on the controller (circle) for the past maybe 4 versions. DS4 controller with DS4windows. 1 controller setting.

Edit; Scratch that, randomly works, randomly doesn't.

Also, using ScrollBeginDelay breaks horizontal scrolling (watch until it nears the end to see the bug)

There are several issues here that will need separate troubleshooting. Per Big Box "soft crashing", what does that mean? Also, what Big Box theme are you using?

Per the controller issues, I'll need more details on that. What happens when it's randomly not working?

Is the ScrollBeginDelay issue a new issue with the betas?

6 hours ago, RULLUR said:

7 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

This sounds like an issue with the screen resolution changing. That can cause issues, so I would suggest changing the emulator settings to always use the native resolution, if possible.

Agreed, @RULLUR have you tried right clicking the emulator exe and overriding the dpi settings in the compatibility tab?

EDIT: 

Or the disable full screen optimization toggle i mean.

42 minutes ago, Android16 said:

@Jason Carr
soft crashing means it just disappears without any error messages.

Happens with any theme.

When it's randomly not working, nothing happens. Any controller press just doesnt do anything in bb.

Scrollbegindelay has always been an issue to me. Just started using it 2 weeks ago so beyond that, unknown.

Wow, I have never heard of the Back button on controllers causing crashes for Big Box. Are you sure you don't have it mapped that way somehow, either with a controller mapping in Big Box or an external application?

It sounds like there's something wonky going on somewhere. By now with all the beta testing we've done, I'm pretty certain those controller issues are unique one-off issues.

It might help to know if you see those same issues in 10.1.

1 hour ago, Android16 said:

100% sure.

Win7u

Backing out with controller doesn't crash BB in 10.1 and doesn't seem to be any controller connection issues either. The horizontal scrolling issue with the delay is still there though.

Have you checked your controller mappings to make sure that nothing is bound to Exit?

Okay so the KEGA Fusion issue is still going as far as the Pause Menu and coming back shades of green..even after doing what @Jason Carr & @neil9000 both recommended. Thing is I found out what seems to kinda help is when you come back from the already cropped to the upper-left cornered Pause Menu is to just switch between ALT+1 or ALT+2 for Normal or Double and things will look back to normal. Not sure why this seems to be the only way around this for now on my end though.

I kinda hate being somewhat late in testing the Pause Menus for each Emulator I have..but was waiting until I could be able to do it all via the Guide/Home button. Not sure if that one thread for testing the Pause Menu per each Emulator is dead or not..but would like to maybe add some more input since maybe this thread isn't exactly proper to keep mentioning these types of errors I'm coming across as far as that goes

1 minute ago, RULLUR said:

Okay so the KEGA Fusion issue is still going as far as the Pause Menu and coming back shades of green..even after doing what @Jason Carr & @neil9000 both recommended. Thing is I found out what seems to kinda help is when you come back from the already cropped to the upper-left cornered Pause Menu is to just switch between ALT+1 or ALT+2 for Normal or Double and things will look back to normal. Not sure why this seems to be the only way around this for now on my end though.

I kinda hate being somewhat late in testing the Pause Menus for each Emulator I have..but was waiting until I could be able to do it all via the Guide/Home button. Not sure if that one thread for testing the Pause Menu per each Emulator is dead or not..but would like to maybe add some more input since maybe this thread isn't exactly proper to keep mentioning these types of errors I'm coming across as far as that goes

To be honest it will probably be a while before I get back to making any changes or fixes to the pause screens. As I've stated before, both pause and startup screens are finicky at best, due to the fact that you literally have to fight against Windows to implement them, which is why I held off from tackling them for years. There are compatibility issues with the pause screens for sure, but they are working better than I even thought would be possible at first, so I'm happy with them currently as they stand. Feel free to report issues, but honestly I won't be making any changes to them for quite a while.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Android16 said:

Bindings are default. I havent touched controller bindings. But if a button was bound to exit, it would exit on any version.

No, it wouldn't, because bindings were completely overhauled and use different data in the new version. Can you please just check your bindings?