LaunchBox Community Forums

10.2-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

6 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Eventually I'm planning on adding controller-specific configurations (different bindings for each controller). When we tackle that, I'll make sure to cover this. As for right now, though, doing that properly would require tracking controllers separately, and currently they're all combined, so I can't really make that happen until we do that restructuring.

Trackball support is completely separate code than game controllers, so unfortunately no, it's not something I can slip in right now. I actually have a version of the code in progress for trackball support for Big Box, but it proved to be more extensive than I had originally thought, and sadly it hasn't seemed to garner a whole lot of interest so I haven't been back to it as of yet.

thanks for the reply. I can wait

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheNewClassics said:

I'm still not getting any inputs working for when I try to remap the controller with DS4 in Big Box. Using DS4Windows. 

I looked into this; DS4Windows will give you options for three different controllers in LaunchBox:

1. XInput (Xbox 360/Xbox One)
  2. Controller (XBOX 360 for Windows)
  3. Wireless Controller

#3 is there and works properly via DirectInput even with DS4Windows not running. #1 works properly via XInput simulation, which is the one I would recommend using. #2, however, does not work properly. It's apparently simulating an Xbox controller via DirectInput, and something isn't working as expected. The issue is that if you select to Use All Controllers, it attempts to use all three. It should work fine if you uncheck that and select one of the other two. I'll see if I can just disable #2.

Beta 4 is out now with a hopeful fix for PS4 controllers with DS4Windows, when "Use All Controllers" is checked. Everything is working properly for me now in that case, in my testing.

This may also possibly fix the issues with controller input over the Steam Link, but I'm not sure about that. If anyone uses that scenario and can test, I'd appreciate it. As far as I am aware at this point, controller input over the Steam Link is the last remaining issue with the controller overhaul.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I'll need more information. What controller are you using?

9d7c9a71-48a6-4df7-8ab8-5cb254f1a025_2.aa9c396f6ace98fc97594a4a9861c349.pngThis Wireless PS3/PC Afterglow Controller. On PC it reads off the buttons the same as a 360 or XBO Controller though. I have 2 of them say my Wife @Haydee can play along with me too. Funny how the triggers and shoulder buttons look straight off an XBO Controller too. I feel it's like the best controller ever made and the only thing that would make it better is if it had 6-Buttons for things like N64, Saturn, Genesis, and so on. I also have a Wired HORI Fight Commander for PC/360/XBO too that looks like an upgraded Genesis Controller

24 minutes ago, RULLUR said:

9d7c9a71-48a6-4df7-8ab8-5cb254f1a025_2.aa9c396f6ace98fc97594a4a9861c349.pngThis Wireless PS3/PC Afterglow Controller. On PC it reads off the buttons the same as a 360 or XBO Controller though. I have 2 of them say my Wife @Haydee can play along with me too. Funny how the triggers and shoulder buttons look straight off an XBO Controller too. I feel it's like the best controller ever made and the only thing that would make it better is if it had 6-Buttons for things like N64, Saturn, Genesis, and so on. I also have a Wired HORI Fight Commander for PC/360/XBO too that looks like an upgraded Genesis Controller

Okay, thanks. Do you have "Use All Controllers" checked? What is the name of the controller in the drop-down list?

Also, have you tried beta 4?

16 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Okay, thanks. Do you have "Use All Controllers" checked? What is the name of the controller in the drop-down list?

Also, have you tried beta 4?

Yes to all that..and I have it always set to "XInput Xbox 360/Xbox One". The other options are 2 sets of "Controller (Afterglow Wireless Controller for PS3)". Seems to be no change to where I'm still unable to get things Remapped..especially with the Home/Guide button

Edited by RULLUR

2 hours ago, RULLUR said:

Yes to all that..and I have it always set to "XInput Xbox 360/Xbox One". The other options are 2 sets of "Controller (Afterglow Wireless Controller for PS3)". Seems to be no change to where I'm still unable to get things Remapped..especially with the Home/Guide button

Okay, the problem is that the DirectInput version is causing issues when you have Use All Controllers checked. Not sure what we're gonna do about that at this point.

Ah, so you're right. I unchecked it and set it to Xinput. It now works with the input mapper. But when I recheck it, it doesn't. I have a device called Blissbox (https://bliss-box.net/) which has 4 separate ports ("4 PLAY PORT.1, 2, etc.) and I was under the impression it functioned as a DInput. Guess I'm a little confused why it's interfering. The device has always worked with LB/BB to this point.

Edited by TheNewClassics

6 minutes ago, TheNewClassics said:

Ah, so you're right. I unchecked it and set it to Xinput. It now works with the input mapper. But when I recheck it, it doesn't. I have a device called Blissbox (https://bliss-box.net/) which has 4 separate ports ("4 PLAY PORT.1, 2, etc.) and I was under the impression it functioned as a DInput. Guess I'm a little confused why it's interfering.

Ugh, okay. So the issue is that DirectInput-based devices are horribly inconsistent with how they report their status. In order for me to be able to detect when a stick or a trigger is moved, I have to know when it's not being touched, and when it's being moved (of course). Unfortunately, there are apparently some DirectInput devices that don't behave as expected. For example, no movement for one device might be 0, while 0 might mean pressing up with another device, so it's somewhat of a nightmare.

I wanted to avoid making the user have to calibrate every single device, but at this point I don't really know what else to do. It's possible that I can still make it all work by disabling the triggers and the right stick for DirectInput devices, as those are what seem to cause issues, but then of course DirectInput devices won't work at all with the right stick or triggers.

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

The reason why XInput was developed by Microsoft in the first place was because of these horrible inconsistency issues with DirectInput. But if we only supported XInput, people probably wouldn't like that too much.

Yeah, the fact that they standardized that was a great boon and help to people who play PC games with controllers. I personally only use xinput, i have a couple of controllers that will do xinput and dinput, but i always use xinput as "it just works" on Windows.

Makes sense. I appreciate you looking into it, fortunately it's a minor inconvenience and just about everything else still works. 

To add to this, I figured out a fix for my problem. I had a GC controller plugged into my blissbox. I unplugged it and then tried the mapper, and it works well. An easy workaround!

Edited by TheNewClassics
  • Like 1

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but I have a strange Problem with DS4Windows now. When I disconnect my controller and reconnect it, BigBox doesn't recognize the controller any more. Even if I restart BigBox. I need to restart my computer to get it work again. Despite that, everything is working fine so far. I am using an standard PS4 controller.

Edited by deliyuerek85