LaunchBox Community Forums

10.2-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

6 hours ago, Stovies said:

I'm using a wired xbox controller in Windows 10 and I have switched off the controller game bar setting linked to the central silver button on the controller (to avoid conflicts).  I was hoping to bind it to the pause screen.  But it doesn't appear to be recognised by Launchbox or BigBox.  Any thoughts on how to fix this would be appreciated.

The only thing I am aware of is that there are lots of other programs that can conflict with it, such as Steam. So try closing out of every running program and see if that fixes it.

5 hours ago, Wanderer189 said:

This controller thing has been a nightmare for many of us, but I know especially for Jason and any one working on it.

I have tried to get a genuine PS4 controller to work for 2 days now using DS4W. I can't get LB or BB to recognize it period!!! I was originally running DS4W v1.4.94 (only version I can get the gyro would work in cemu and RPCS3, every time I tried to update it, I couldn't get the gyro to work).

Things I have tried:
Trying different version of DS4W from v1.4.52 all the way up to v1.5.8
deleting the InputBindings.xml in the LB data folder
deleting and reinstalling the 360ce drivers
Set up a blank copy of LB 10.1

I have a generic wireless chinese 360 controller with its own dongle, it works, I have a couple barely working official 360 controllers using the MS dongle, they work.

I am about to give up on the PS4 controller. I had just ordered 4 Switch Pro controllers to try and replace everything I am using so they would have the gyro using BetterJoyForCemu...I am scared, scared, scared. Did I say I was scared?

Of course every controller I have works as expected everywhere except in LB or BB....they work in the emulators, RA, everything.

Did I mentioned I was scared?

And added to that, I can take the exact same PS4 controller, pair it to my shield, run moonlight (course it uses it own controller stuff), it runs BB fines, now check this out, I take the same PS4 controller and pair it back to my PC, run DS4W v1.4.94, take my shield REMOTE or shield controller, navigate to moonlight, launch it, start BB (I have a shortcut to BB in moonlight) and as soon as I do, the PS4 controller PAIRED to the PC, will run BB, emulators, even the GYRO in Cemu works like I was playing on the PC. Of course it has the moonlight lag and all....

The Switch Pro controllers are suppose to be here tomorrow, maybe they will be okay, right guys???? Did I tell you I was scared??????  hahaha

I'm baffled here. Forget DS4Windows for a bit. Turn it off completely, and plug in your PS4 controller via USB. Do you get a "Wireless Controller" option to show up in the controllers list? It should show up, and should work, although it's Direct Input and not quite configured correctly.

From there, try starting the latest version of DS4Windows, while still connected via USB. Then you should have two more options show up in the game controllers list in LaunchBox.

Also make sure every other potential controller is disconnected when you run these tests, and reboot before trying them. That's a brute-force approach that should hopefully help.

12 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I'm baffled here. Forget DS4Windows for a bit. Turn it off completely, and plug in your PS4 controller via USB. Do you get a "Wireless Controller" option to show up in the controllers list? It should show up, and should work, although it's Direct Input and not quite configured correctly.

From there, try starting the latest version of DS4Windows, while still connected via USB. Then you should have two more options show up in the game controllers list in LaunchBox.

Also make sure every other potential controller is disconnected when you run these tests, and reboot before trying them. That's a brute-force approach that should hopefully help.

I tried as you asked, here is what happens:

1. Unplugged all dongles pertaining to input devices except for Logitech mouse/keyboard.
2. Plugged in PS4 using USB cable. PC recognizes and does its thing as you stated "Wireless Controller" (it was already doing that wireless), I let windows finish detecting.
3. Started DS4W (tried newest version first). Started BB. As you said, not configured correct, BB does see it as Wireless Controller (was doing that wireless, but no function at all in LB) (when it wasn't paired, LB would only show an option for 360 controller, but when paired, would show both)
4. It is working via USB, of course, as you stated not configured right.

Okay, you can take a deep breath Jason, I think I have eliminated LB as the culprit. It may be something to do with this system specific.

My main system is pretty new, the one I am having problems with, I just built it a few months back. It is a Z390 Taichi MB. Any ways, I took a mirror copy of my LB and put it on a Dell 7010 (it uses a BT dongle for BT, the Taichi BT is on the MB, not saying this is the issue, but is one of the differences (I have made sure the BT drivers are up-to-date on Taichi). The PS4 controller works just like it is suppose to on the Dell 7010 in LB using the mirror copy of files.

I might see if I can disable to onboard BT in the BIOS and try the dongle along with a few other things....anyways, I think you can relax on this one my friend....

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Wanderer189 said:

I tried as you asked, here is what happens:

1. Unplugged all dongles pertaining to input devices except for Logitech mouse/keyboard.
2. Plugged in PS4 using USB cable. PC recognizes and does its thing as you stated "Wireless Controller" (it was already doing that wireless), I let windows finish detecting.
3. Started DS4W (tried newest version first). Started BB. As you said, not configured correct, BB does see it as Wireless Controller (was doing that wireless, but no function at all in LB) (when it wasn't paired, LB would only show an option for 360 controller, but when paired, would show both)
4. It is working via USB, of course, as you stated not configured right.

Okay, you can take a deep breath Jason, I think I have eliminated LB as the culprit. It may be something to do with this system specific.

My main system is pretty new, the one I am having problems with, I just built it a few months back. It is a Z390 Taichi MB. Any ways, I took a mirror copy of my LB and put it on a Dell 7010 (it uses a BT dongle for BT, the Taichi BT is on the MB, not saying this is the issue, but is one of the differences (I have made sure the BT drivers are up-to-date on Taichi). The PS4 controller works just like it is suppose to on the Dell 7010 in LB using the mirror copy of files.

I might see if I can disable to onboard BT in the BIOS and try the dongle along with a few other things....anyways, I think you can relax on this one my friend....

Could it be that the device ID is passed to the OS differently if it is on the motherboard compared to how it is via a Plug & Play USB device?

21 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Could it be that the device ID is passed to the OS differently if it is on the motherboard compared to how it is via a Plug & Play USB device?

@neil9000Well, I was about to get into the BIOS and disable the onboard BT but you gave me an idea to try first and it fixed it, well sorta.

Since I had everything removed/unplugged concerning input devices, I went into the control panel, removed everything that had to do with controllers. Rebooted machine, paired the PS4, started DS4W (any version) and wallah, all is working again. So it had to be something to do with windows and maybe the device ID or controller # Windows is assigning or something (don't know enough about it to say)???

So I plugged back in the generic 360 controller and guess what, it no longer works in LB/BB, which is fine. I am not sure if has something to do with the device ID's or not, but I am assuming it is something with how Win10 is saving each device and then LB/BB is then trying to use them, whether is be controller#, device id or what?

I did a little reverse engineering, if I  delete/remove everything again in the control panel. Plug in the dongle for the generic 360 before pairing the PS4, the generic 360 works in LB, but the PS4 will not,

if I pair the PS4 before I introduce the generic 360, the PS4 controller works and the 360 won't in LB/BB (only after removing everything in the control panel first in both cases).....maybe this will help a bit for others and Jason. Try removing all controllers from windows control panel, reboot and then re-pairing them.

20 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Per version numbers, yeah, it's not ideal, but it's also not that big of a deal. I do my best not to run these forums with a bunch of over-bearing rules.

Fair enough. I only bring it up because it was the tradition of the 9 series releases and we're now 3 versions beyond the title of the thread.

7 minutes ago, mcfilmmakers said:

Fair enough. I only bring it up because it was the tradition of the 9 series releases and we're now 3 versions beyond the title of the thread.

Speaking for myself and my issue, the problems started in 10.? beta and continued through the 10.5 release, thus I would think it was in the appropriate location, ya know?

53 minutes ago, Wanderer189 said:

Speaking for myself and my issue, the problems started in 10.? beta and continued through the 10.5 release, thus I would think it was in the appropriate location, ya know?

That’s not the point. Your issue isn’t going to be fixed in beta 10.2, is it? That’s my point.

I said what I had to say. As others have already said, move on.

• The Cake is a Lie 1

On 9/30/2019 at 7:42 PM, Jason Carr said:
On 9/30/2019 at 6:56 PM, sagaopc said:

@Jason Carr please, suport to gif cover like steam beta!

?

Ha, that's pretty cool. We can add that here soon, hopefully.

Sorry i just wanted to correct Sagaopc, as the new Steam UI does not use gif covers, it uses standard and animated png files.  Now i do not have any understanding of software or the programming that goes into it, but would you be required to add that as a feature, i mean if someone just adds an animated png (which only shows up as a png file), then would it not just still work, though i know that the Steam Ui seems you have a file size limiet of around 12mb per png file, anything larger and it struggles to play the animations correctly.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RetroMonster said:

Sorry i just wanted to correct Sagaopc, as the new Steam UI does not use gif covers, it uses standard and animated png files.  Now i do not have any understanding of software or the programming that goes into it, but would you be required to add that as a feature, i mean if someone just adds an animated png (which only shows up as a png file), then would it not just still work, though i know that the Steam Ui seems you have a file size limiet of around 12mb per png file, anything larger and it struggles to play the animations correctly.

Cool Kodi has a similar feature with animated covers.  Not sure who makes them or where Kodi pulls them from ?... Curious does steam provide them in this case 

Edited by ALIE

23 hours ago, ALIE said:

Cool Kodi has a similar feature with animated covers.  Not sure who makes them or where Kodi pulls them from ?... Curious does steam provide them in this case 

It is down to the software developers, , a couple have made them, otherwise i have seen them being placed on reddit, but like the standard covers, not many people are making a standard size, they just seem to upload any size they want, as i think the dimensions shold be 600x900. But one drawback to the animated covers, or via the Steam Ui, is that it makes everything too busy on the screen. Image launchbox, just using video snaps all laid out together on the screen and all playing at once, you would end up going bonkers hahahahahahah

Launchbox with retroarch also suffers from another problem which in the end was accentuated, ie it is the FIRST launch of the game after the initial start. The upload goes intermittently while the bigbox animations continue until the game is started.

On 10/3/2019 at 10:43 AM, dov_EL said:

@Jason Carr

have you decided how to do with the volume? A solution could be to add in the options the possibility to choose whether to select only if to increase or decrease the volume in BigBox or even in Game, so they are all happy (maybe).

I haven't really come up with a solution yet. I still haven't figured out what on earth Retroarch is doing in that regard, or how it could be a new issue. I do plan to look into it soon.

3 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I haven't really come up with a solution yet. I still haven't figured out what on earth Retroarch is doing in that regard, or how it could be a new issue. I do plan to look into it soon.

probably the problem lies between retroarch and windows and video drivers. I am sure that MS also offers other ways for volume commands, you should look for a group of developers, they will certainly offer different solutions than those used.

3 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@dov_EL That can be fixed by adjusting the startup screen timing settings in the emulator settings.

I tried, the problem is not solved. Also because it is only the first start that causes this "problem", because thanks to the Windows superfetch, at the second start of the software the times are halved considerably and therefore the problem disappears.