LaunchBox Community Forums

10.2-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

Hey all, the first 10.2 beta is out now with the #3 most-voted item from the last poll: backup and restore options for data and settings.

Here's the change log:

• New Feature: New options for "Create Data Backup" and "Restore Data Backup" are available under the Tools menu in LaunchBox. These options will backup and restore your LaunchBox and Big Box data, sans for game and media files.
  • Improvement: Automatic data backups now use the new data backup engine, which should make things significantly easier in disaster scenarios, as it's now one file per backup instead of a bunch of random XML files

I went ahead and revamped the automatic data backups system as well, since it was confusing for a lot of users due to all the XML files being separate. Automatic data backups now happen on both startup and shutdown of LaunchBox and Big Box, if enabled in the LaunchBox options (should be enabled by default).

The new backup system simply creates a 7-zip backup file of the LaunchBox\Data folder, which handles everything sans for game and media files. It should be really convenient now to make a backup and then experiment however you like, with the ability to go back easily if needed.

Next up on the list is the #1 feature from the poll: Xbox controller and PS4 controller home button support.

• Like 10

Hey Jason since the last thread is closed, I continuing the discussion of the "Launch With..." feature.

You mentioned you'd need to create a new type of interface element for it, but couldn't you just use what you're using it already?
When you select "Launch With" from the game details screen, it opens up a selectable menu for all available options I added. I just want a keybinding to open up this very menu from the game wheel view. :D 

4 hours ago, ZeSystem said:

Hey Jason since the last thread is closed, I continuing the discussion of the "Launch With..." feature.

You mentioned you'd need to create a new type of interface element for it, but couldn't you just use what you're using it already?
When you select "Launch With" from the game details screen, it opens up a selectable menu for all available options I added. I just want a keybinding to open up this very menu from the game wheel view. :D 

There's a bunch of complications here, including that the existing themes don't easily support it. We have a bunch of themes currently with no text menus built into the wheel views, amongst other things. There are ways to make it happen, but none of them are quick or easy. It's really just the difference between transitioning to another screen or not, and unfortunately at this point in time the amount of work required to add something like that wouldn't really be worth the effort.

On 9/12/2019 at 10:28 PM, ZeSystem said:

There's a bunch of complications here, including that the existing themes don't easily support it. We have a bunch of themes currently with no text menus built into the wheel views, amongst other things. There are ways to make it happen, but none of them are quick or easy. It's really just the difference between transitioning to another screen or not, and unfortunately at this point in time the amount of work required to add something like that wouldn't really be worth the effort.

this as messed with my system y change things that aint broken ???????????????

hey everybody! has anyone else had an issue where the mouse began rapidly drift downward once the beta update was for 10.2 Beta 1?

I unplugged the mouse thinking it would sync the problem, but it did the same with just the touch pad. I am using a Lenovo Thinkpad X230 Laptop Tablet | Core i7- with 2.90 Ghz Quadcore |  8GB Ram | 1 TB SSD Harddrive | The mouse is a wired 2.0 - 6D Optical Mouse.

Also when I try to rollback the beta, to the stable version...I get the error pictured below. Any ideas or suggestions? 

Rollback Error message.JPG

Edited by SCOTTEDWARDLOGAN@GMAIL.COM

35 minutes ago, SCOTTEDWARDLOGAN@GMAIL.COM said:

hey everybody! has anyone else had an issue where the mouse began rapidly drift downward once the beta update was for 10.2 Beta 1?

I unplugged the mouse thinking it would sync the problem, but it did the same with just the touch pad. I am using a Lenovo Thinkpad X230 Laptop Tablet | Core i7- with 2.90 Ghz Quadcore |  8GB Ram | 1 TB SSD Harddrive | The mouse is a wired 2.0 - 6D Optical Mouse.

Also when I try to rollback the beta, to the stable version...I get the error pictured below. Any ideas or suggestions? 

Rollback Error message.JPG

Most likely this is caused by a stray game controller, not a mouse device. Also, it sounds like you're trying to use the new data restore feature to go back to a previous version of LaunchBox, which isn't going to work. You shouldn't need to go back to a previous version currently, as I'm almost certain you'd have the same issue. Just need to figure out which game controller is causing issues.

Alright! Beta 2 is out now with a huge game controller overhaul:

• New Feature: Game controllers have been completely overhauled in both LaunchBox and Big Box! See below.

• New Feature: Xbox 360 and Xbox One controller guide buttons can now be used anywhere (from the poll)

• New Feature: Multiple controller bindings can now be used everywhere

• New Feature: All controller bindings can now be a button combination if desired (and the opposite, controller automation bindings that used to require a button combination can now be mapped to a single button)

• New Feature: Left stick, right stick, and trigger axes can now be bound to actions, and buttons can now be bound to navigational movement

This stuff will need some significant testing. Let me know if anyone runs into any issues.

Also, those of you who have PS4 controllers, if you can test them, I would appreciate it, especially support for the "guide" button in the bottom center. My understanding is that this button only works in XInput simulation mode, but I'm finding DS4Windows to be a bit finicky and couldn't get it to work (might be conflicting with my Xbox One controllers).

• Like 9
  • Unusual Gem 1

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

I'm finding DS4Windows to be a bit finicky and couldn't get it to work (might be conflicting with my Xbox One controllers).

I have the same issue getting DS4Windows to work with AHK, I think it’s a DS4Windows issue.