LaunchBox Community Forums

Updating MAME every month

wallmachine

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Tackett1980 said:

Honesty I have no idea why you would want to go through all that every single month.  

because each iteration adds something new I'm interested in, same reason you update LaunchBox.

Must be a simpler way than always having to delete/re-add it...

Edited by wallmachine

8 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Take a look at Dos’s post at the end of this thread from Wed. This might be a method you can try.

Thanks, just read the post about TorrentCheck but what about updating them in Launchbox? still need to either delete/re-add everything or search manually through your LaunchBox list and delete/re-add?

6 hours ago, Tackett1980 said:

I mean do you not have to redownload and reload every single rom every month?

no, you can use clrmamepro or TorrentCheck but the question is how do we update MAME every time in LaunchBox without having to either delete/re-add everything or search manually through your LaunchBox list and delete/re-add?

Also another question on MAME if I manually delete/re-add MAME every month how do I know when @Jason Carr or @C-Beats has updated the MAME database? For instance I might delete/re-add MAME before they update the database which defeats the purpose.

Edited by wallmachine

6 minutes ago, wallmachine said:

Thanks, just read the post about TorrentCheck but what about updating them in Launchbox? still need to either delete/re-add everything or search manually through your LaunchBox list and delete/re-add?

Just re-run the importer and uncheck media downloads.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/16/2020 at 7:47 AM, neil9000 said:

Its not advertised when it is updated, its a manual process.

As this is a personal preference and to avoid @Jason Carr having to manually update the database, an in built tool be created for users to decide if they want to import a new database? as the MAME.xml file in my Metadata folder says the last modified date is ‎Saturday, ‎22 ‎June ‎2019, ‏‎7:51:04 AM (I deleted it to see if LaunchBox will give me a newer version upon launch).

Maybe the inbuilt feature can be something like select the latest mame.exe to update the MAME.xml to the latest version, as the XML seems to be already customised for LaunchBox I assume you have a tool already? This could leave the LaunchBox team to update the database on every major release of LaunchBox and then allow users to make the choice when to update in between?

Edited by wallmachine

4 minutes ago, wallmachine said:

As this is a personal preference and to avoid @Jason Carr having to manually update the database, an in built tool be created for users to decide if they want to import a new database? as the MAME.xml file in my Metadata folder says the last modified date is ‎Saturday, ‎22 ‎June ‎2019, ‏‎7:51:04 AM (I deleted it to see if LaunchBox will give me a newer version upon launch).

Maybe the inbuilt feature can be something like select the latest mame.exe to update the MAME.xml to the latest version, as the XML seems to be already customised for LaunchBox maybe allow it for users to make the choice when to update?

My MAME metadata file was updated yesterday.

image.thumb.png.22065b92e5e8aff83b44c57c1731ba62.png

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

My MAME metadata file was updated yesterday.

image.thumb.png.22065b92e5e8aff83b44c57c1731ba62.png

Just opened LaunchBox and updated to the latest beta and mine still displays that date of above, maybe to avoid being a tedious process for the LaunchBox team to manually update and have a thread like the beta be hijacked to get the database updated put this back on the user with the suggestion tool above? 

Did you do anything different other than updating to the latest LaunchBox version?

A few threads appearing now about when/what version is the MAME database at, so maybe a revisit to this?

Edited by wallmachine

Playing around with this after I looked at my MAME.XML date stamp and it was 5/12/2020 even though I had literally just downloaded the LB newest release (10.15 release).  However, I noticed if I forced an update via Help, Force Update Games Database Metadata it was date stamped today.  The problem is either way, you cannot tell what version of MAME is included in the XML. The XML doesn't have any header to indicate and nothing in LB indicates version.  For example, Version 221 was released today but the XML is not 221 after checking a few of the new machines. No biggie, but date of XML isn't good indicator.  Now, I am not saying the LB team has to jump on Day 0 to update the XML when the MAME team literally just released the EXE, but it would be much clearer if somewhere it indicated the MAME version. That way if it is a glitch where need to force update (i.e., the XML was updated and not on my system) or if just need to be patient and wait to next update via LB then so be it.  So if like @wallmachine noted it isn't something that can be automated then it would be great to indicate version in the Fullset importer interface. 

• Like 1

Glad this topic is being talked about. Mame is the main reason most people got into emulation. Each release either has new games added or fixed games that were marked not working. Would be great to see what database is being used on LB. Or better yet a tool for us to create it ourselves that works on LB. 

Edited by Joe35car

Hey all, I've updated everyone in the above thread. For consistency though, and to eliminate some confusion, I'll copy some important info here.

LaunchBox has a much more involved algorithm for MAME imports. It's impossible to provide all of the options that we provide with just the MAME XML. The MAME XML does not have all the data needed in order to do the filtering and such.

The MAME XML that comes with LaunchBox is heavily processed and uses data from literally five different sources in order to provide the accurate data and filtering that the MAME full-set importer uses. It's not as simple as just using the MAME.xml file that comes with MAME.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Because of the above, the user would have to hunt down this data from five different places in order for any kind of a tool like this to work. We do have an internal tool that we use, but we make heavy use of SQL Server in order to process the data correctly. So that's not really feasible.

-------------------------------------------------------------

We do need a good way to communicate with users what the current supported MAME version is, yes. The hardest thing that we have to deal with is the fact that we rely on several other data sources (such as catver.ini from Progetto-Snaps) and these are all manually updated by humans, after each MAME release. Some of them are updated sooner than others (some of them take a week or more to update, for instance).

What I generally do is wait a day or two after the official MAME release each month, and then update all the files that are available. It is possible to just update the data from MAME itself, and then the rest of the data can be updated when they're available. This means that for new games, the new games may be available, but might be missing some metadata until after the third-party sources update their files.

I know this seems like a big mess (and it is), but trust me, I put tremendous amounts of research into this when I built it; it's really the best option for accurate MAME data, and the code that we built to combine it all together is gold.

Oh, also, no, you can't look at the date/time on the MAME.xml file in the Metadata folder to have any clue on when the MAME metadata was last updated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2