LaunchBox Community Forums

11.0-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

So I need to report this bug as I feel it is a HUGE one but I went out to do some stuff today and decided to run the cleaning media tool since I knew I had duplicates and stuff. Process was done when I came back, I told to delete what it found based on the 2 or 3 I saw at the start which were legitimate. When I then went to edit some game, I was surprised to find out it had NO images at all only to then realise my images were essentialy wiped clean and I now have to redownload them all because nothing is left. I have NO idea why it happened the way it did but even when I checked my folders, they were gone too.

I put in an image of my images folder. Keep in mind I took this screenshot after I had redownloaded some files so some platforms folders were back but I also put an image of my vid folder which was thankfully intact to show there should be more

unknown.png

unknown (1).png

@Xirvet Very sorry to hear. I'm currently trying to reproduce this so that I can get it fixed, but I haven't been able to reproduce it yet. Would you be willing to zip up and PM me your LaunchBox\Data folder so that I can test with it?

Edit: Also, do you remember which boxes you checked when you ran the clean up media process?

7 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@Xirvet Very sorry to hear. I'm currently trying to reproduce this so that I can get it fixed, but I haven't been able to reproduce it yet. Would you be willing to zip up and PM me your LaunchBox\Data folder so that I can test with it?

Edit: Also, do you remember which boxes you checked when you ran the clean up media process?

I cannot remember which I checked off my head but I remember having checked all but 1, I'll check later once my mass redownload is done. Also here's my data folder. The only thing to know is that my Launchbox is installed on my D:/ drive (dunno if that has an impact on it)

1 minute ago, Xirvet said:

I cannot remember which I checked off my head but I remember having checked all but 1, I'll check later once my mass redownload is done. Also here's my data folder. The only thing to know is that my Launchbox is installed on my D:/ drive (dunno if that has an impact on it)

Thanks, will test with it. I deleted the data file for security reasons after downloading it.

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

Thanks, will test with it. I deleted the data file for security reasons after downloading it.

No problem I understand it! Thankfully I am a "compulsive" submitter to the database so most of my images were already there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xirvet said:

No problem I understand it! Thankfully I am a "compulsive" submitter to the database so most of my images were already there

By chance, do you remember if the items that showed up in the list to delete said that they were "not in use" or "duplicates"?

Just now, Jason Carr said:

Thanks. Do you happen to recall about how long the process took? Was it quick (less than 10 minutes), or did it take a long time?

That I genuinly cannot say because I started the process as I was leaving to do some errands in town figuring it would take a while and I was gone for 2 hours, it was done by the time I got back but for how long? can't say

Just now, Xirvet said:

That I genuinly cannot say because I started the process as I was leaving to do some errands in town figuring it would take a while and I was gone for 2 hours, it was done by the time I got back but for how long? can't say

Gotcha, thanks. By chance, are you running any anti-virus or anti-malware software other than Windows Defender?

Gotcha, thanks. By chance, are you running any anti-virus or anti-malware software other than Windows Defender?

Malwarebytes if anything but otherwise no, just regular Windows defender. My PC is in french if that has any bearing

5 minutes ago, Xirvet said:

Malwarebytes if anything but otherwise no, just regular Windows defender. My PC is in french if that has any bearing

Wow, okay. I have reports of this happening to both @Xirvet and @sialivi, both of whom have been very helpful in figuring this issue out, and I really appreciate it. It turns out that both users are running MalwareBytes, which is (yet again) throwing false positives and murdering a bunch of processes during the image scanning operations, which is causing this issue.

My apologies to you both and anyone else who might run into this. I will have to tweak the code to handle this situation more gracefully. There's really nothing I can do to prevent MalwareBytes from ruining things, but I can stop the process at that point and tell the user not to continue, now that I know what's going on.

Wow, okay. I have reports of this happening to both @Xirvet and @sialivi, both of whom have been very helpful in figuring this issue out, and I really appreciate it. It turns out that both users are running MalwareBytes, which is (yet again) throwing false positives and murdering a bunch of processes during the image scanning operations, which is causing this issue.

My apologies to you both and anyone else who might run into this. I will have to tweak the code to handle this situation more gracefully. There's really nothing I can do to prevent MalwareBytes from ruining things, but I can stop the process at that point and tell the user not to continue, now that I know what's going on.

Hold up, I checked cause I wasn't sure if this new PC I had for a year (which is the one I run LB on) had Malwarebytes and turns out it does not so that dosen't seem to be the case for me

1 minute ago, Xirvet said:

Hold up, I checked cause I wasn't sure if this new PC I had for a year (which is the one I run LB on) had Malwarebytes and turns out it does not so that dosen't seem to be the case for me

Okay, well that throws a wrench in the mix...

11.2-beta-1 is out now with a hopeful fix for the issues that @Xirvet and @sialivi were having with Clean Up Media. As it turns out, it was not MalwareBytes, but rather the differences in number formatting between the US and other countries. Countries/systems that use a comma instead of a decimal point were the culprit. Hopefully this beta fixes it, and then I can put out another official release.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

11.2-beta-1 is out now with a hopeful fix for the issues that @Xirvet and @sialivi were having with Clean Up Media. As it turns out, it was not MalwareBytes, but rather the differences in number formatting between the US and other countries. Countries/systems that use a comma instead of a decimal point were the culprit. Hopefully this beta fixes it, and then I can put out another official release.

Could be something particular with my install but after updating to 11.2 beta 1 LB never gets past the Initializing splash. I've let it go for about 10 minutes; however, I suspect that no amount of time will result in anything as the process shows no CPU or disk utilization, with the only noteworthy detail being that it has a 7-zip console as a child process that also shows no activity.

20 minutes ago, oblivioncth said:

Could be something particular with my install but after updating to 11.2 beta 1 LB never gets past the Initializing splash. I've let it go for about 10 minutes; however, I suspect that no amount of time will result in anything as the process shows no CPU or disk utilization, with the only noteworthy detail being that it has a 7-zip console as a child process that also shows no activity.

Most likely, it's having trouble updating the library folders. Try deleting the LaunchBox\ThirdParty\CefSharp and LaunchBox\ThirdParty\VLC folders. They should be recreated on startup (but for some reason something is probably interfering with the deletion process).

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

try going into your updates folder and running the last installer again. make sure you install it right over top of your current install and not nested inside of your current folder.

Unfortunately this didn't change anything.

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

Most likely, it's having trouble updating the library folders. Try deleting the LaunchBox\ThirdParty\CefSharp and LaunchBox\ThirdParty\VLC folders. They should be recreated on startup (but for some reason something is probably interfering with the deletion process).

After doing this I watched as the program re-deleted and re-re-created those two folders upon startup as they should. This did make it so the 7-zip process was no longer present but LB still hung at "Initializing" on the splash screen. When the 7-zip process is running it does do some work for a few moments before becoming inactive.

The installer for 11.2 final seems to have just gone up (just one beta?) and that too results in a stuck startup for me.

Using the 11.1 installer to revert to that non-beta version has allowed me to start it again. Not sure what the issue is, but both my Logs folder and error.log are empty (I'm assuming these are only populated if an actual error occurs and there is no verbose logging) so I'm not sure how I can provide much more information other than anything you'd request specifically.