LaunchBox Community Forums

11.0-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

@Jason Carr

When LB associates an OBS file with the corresponding game is there a way for it to move the video instead of just copying it to the game's folder? As it stands, it will duplicate each recording so I have to remember to delete the original files in the OBS video folder. Also, do you know of a way to increase the recorded volume within OBS? I noticed that most of the downloaded game themes are significantly louder than my recordings which means lots of volume adjustments while browsing.

Cheers!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

It sounds like you've set it up incorrectly, I think. The OBS videos folder setting should be pointed at the folder that OBS puts recordings into, not the destination that videos should end up in. Once associated, videos will end up in the platform's videos folder for the game that was run.

You're absolutely right, I misunderstood, it's working now, thanks Jason!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

There should be no difference in performance anywhere really. Perhaps @mcfilmmakers is referring to the delays that were in the old betas?

Launchbox 11 as compared to 10.15 is massively more responsive when scrolling through the game lists. Before there was lag when scrolling, now it is smooth as butter.

I know the official version has been released, but thought maybe I should post here since it comes from changes in this beta version.

Something that would be really nice is when you are running the Media Cleanup (and it takes so long to run), you are able to minimize LB, currently you can minimize it's cleanup progress window, but it isn't doesn't minimize LB along with it as most apps do.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thornback said:

@Jason Carr

When LB associates an OBS file with the corresponding game is there a way for it to move the video instead of just copying it to the game's folder? As it stands, it will duplicate each recording so I have to remember to delete the original files in the OBS video folder. Also, do you know of a way to increase the recorded volume within OBS? I noticed that most of the downloaded game themes are significantly louder than my recordings which means lots of volume adjustments while browsing.

Cheers!

Noted the request about moving instead of copying. OBS does have volume controls, but as it's recording your system audio, it could be affected by your system volume.

2 hours ago, mcfilmmakers said:

Launchbox 11 as compared to 10.15 is massively more responsive when scrolling through the game lists. Before there was lag when scrolling, now it is smooth as butter.

I'm not sure why that would be. We haven't seen any difference between 10.15 and 11.0 in our testing.

I noticed that the new edit window only shows one value for each custom fields name.

My Steam games all have multiple custom fields named “Tags” attached to them but in the edit window only one of the "Tags" fields shows up.

To make things worse, all the other "Tages" fields that do not show in the edit dialog will be getting deleted once you save the game entry.

9 hours ago, CriticalCid said:

I noticed that the new edit window only shows one value for each custom fields name.

My Steam games all have multiple custom fields named “Tags” attached to them but in the edit window only one of the "Tags" fields shows up.

To make things worse, all the other "Tages" fields that do not show in the edit dialog will be getting deleted once you save the game entry.

Yikes, thanks Cid. Surprised that didn't come up in the betas. We're planning on fixing this and some other more minor things on Monday. Probably look to put 11.1 soon after.

26 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

If you check the box to remove rough-duplicate images, it will be slower than 10.15.

That was it.... That said, I'm importing 10 games into a new platform... over 30 minutes and it's still "saving games". Pressing Cancel doesn't seem to work (Cancel greys out but another 30 minutes and Launchbox is still "saving games"). 

I am able to close launchbox properly despite the saving games bar still showing (but the process still runs in background). I let the background process run another 30 minutes force close it.

Edited by mcfilmmakers

On the 11 release I have been seeing LB hanging on closing out an edit game window.  I have been doing a lot of platform edits on Visual Pinball over the beta cycle and no issues but on the release 11 version happened within about hour of use.   For release 11, maybe happens 1 out of every 30 times I do an edit but I haven't quite seen a pattern yet to say what triggers one edit to crash and another that is fine.  Most of the edits have been simple game details adds and game images (manually, not via LB DB).  But it is always on the close of the edit window it will hang and have to use Task Manager to kill LB process.  I didn't have the logging feature on when it was crashing initially, but today I did turn on just in case.  The crash log is attached when it hung up again.  CRASHED _Debug 2020-07-05 12-51-49 PM.log

Looking at it with uneducated eye, it appears LB is having issue with permission and path particularly related to the music playlist based on the errors in the log. It didn't seem to crash at that point for each edit immediately (i.e., error was thrown and kept on trucking).  Oddly, of all the platforms I have, VP is one where there is zero music files or anything related to it in the platform. I checked the path for VP and music in particular and it is set to default empty folder that LB generated initially.  I haven't moved anything as far as paths so not sure anything changed there. 

Anyway, not sure if the log will help but will see if can figure any pattern on when happens.  Thanks. 

Okay..so I thought all was well with video clips, but just like someone else said, it appears the same issue with using the same clip for multiple games is still a problem. Like after I add in a clip, it then renames it to something encrypted at the end of the name, but when you try to use that same renamed clip, it'll rename itself again to where other games using it can't because the file name got changed, which means for now we have to make copies of a clip and waste hard dive space again until this is fixed. Why can't clips be used in more than one title like they used to? Seems the untouched games with clips that I added many versions of LaunchBox ago are fine though and likely are being able to be used more than once without this issue though.

Also once I Edit a game. it still takes a while for things to get done from loading to what at times feels like it might crash or get unresponsive.

23 hours ago, mcfilmmakers said:

That was it.... That said, I'm importing 10 games into a new platform... over 30 minutes and it's still "saving games". Pressing Cancel doesn't seem to work (Cancel greys out but another 30 minutes and Launchbox is still "saving games"). 

I am able to close launchbox properly despite the saving games bar still showing (but the process still runs in background). I let the background process run another 30 minutes force close it.

It may be still saving other platforms at that point, so it might require just waiting. A debug log might help to figure out what's going on though.

18 hours ago, sundogak said:

On the 11 release I have been seeing LB hanging on closing out an edit game window.  I have been doing a lot of platform edits on Visual Pinball over the beta cycle and no issues but on the release 11 version happened within about hour of use.   For release 11, maybe happens 1 out of every 30 times I do an edit but I haven't quite seen a pattern yet to say what triggers one edit to crash and another that is fine.  Most of the edits have been simple game details adds and game images (manually, not via LB DB).  But it is always on the close of the edit window it will hang and have to use Task Manager to kill LB process.  I didn't have the logging feature on when it was crashing initially, but today I did turn on just in case.  The crash log is attached when it hung up again.  CRASHED _Debug 2020-07-05 12-51-49 PM.log

Looking at it with uneducated eye, it appears LB is having issue with permission and path particularly related to the music playlist based on the errors in the log. It didn't seem to crash at that point for each edit immediately (i.e., error was thrown and kept on trucking).  Oddly, of all the platforms I have, VP is one where there is zero music files or anything related to it in the platform. I checked the path for VP and music in particular and it is set to default empty folder that LB generated initially.  I haven't moved anything as far as paths so not sure anything changed there. 

Anyway, not sure if the log will help but will see if can figure any pattern on when happens.  Thanks. 

It looks like the error is related to "The given path's format is not supported." That means that somehow there's an invalid path in there somewhere (at least that's my best guess). It could also be that somewhere there's a path that is longer than 255 characters, which could be causing the problem. Unfortunately diving in deeper to find the exact path that is problem likely isn't going to be easy. The error appears to be happening with images though. Are you using any super-long paths for images? Are they on a network path or a local path?

4 hours ago, Pixel said:

Does screen capture work with Rockstar Launcher? It is not working for me.

Honestly we haven't tested it with the Rockstar Launcher at all. If it's working with other games/apps and not that one, it is possible that there's an incompatibility. We use Windows' built-in screenshot capture functionality though, so unfortunately if there's an issue with a particular game, there's not likely anything we can do about it (though that should certainly be rare).

@Jason Carr LB and all media/games are on a local "G Drive".  So don't see any permission /path issues, particularly for media since that is being pulled direct from "G:\Launchbox\Images\ level of folder.  I rolled back to 10.5 and those errors show but it never crashed on any prior LB versions and nothing has changed as far as setup or drive location.  Will work with 10.5 for awhile and see if something I am no aware of altered locally.  Oddly, it didn't have any issues up through 11 beta 5 and I was doing quite a bit of edit changes that would have likely triggered. So not sure it is related to the path issues in the log as far as the crashing.

Interestingly, I tried a completely vanilla install of LB 11 Release using all LB defaults to my C: Drive SSD (User directory), no media, or platforms installed. It is throwing similar errors about paths that were on my G Drive.  I am on Windows 10 Pro 2004 edition (which has been a headache for other things). This debug log is from simple open, and then close of LB (no edits, actions, etc)  Debug 2020-07-06 12-22-56 PM.log

1 minute ago, Pixel said:

Must be incompatible. I launched a Uplay game afterwards, and it wanted to attach a screenshot to RDR2 instead. I had to restart LB and the game etc.

Could just be that Launchbox isnt aware the game has exited, so you dont get a prompt. I have this all the time with XBOX Gamepass games as they are technically fullscreen windowed games and not exclusive fullscreen, Launchbox is unaware of you exiting the game. This can also happen with launchers, as it may be the launcher Launchbox see's and not the actual game.

17 minutes ago, Pixel said:

Must be incompatible. I launched a Uplay game afterwards, and it wanted to attach a screenshot to RDR2 instead. I had to restart LB and the game so that it could reset itself etc.

LaunchBox should try to auto associate screenshots to the last game you launched via LaunchBox (or Big Box), regardless of whether it is still open or not.