LaunchBox Community Forums

11.0-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

Just now, oblivioncth said:

Nope.

Just D:\LaunchBox on an NVMe drive.

How long are you waiting for the initializing extraction process? It can take a while after the ThirdParty folders are deleted. Beyond that, it might be worth running chkdsk on the drive to make sure that there's no file system corruption or anything of that nature.

The Logs folder is only populated if debug logging is turned on. Debug logging would help in this case, but it can't easily be turned on without being able to start the app. Still, if you have 11.1 working, then perhaps you could turn on debug logging under Tools > Options > Debugging and that will give us a bit more information.

6 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

How long are you waiting for the initializing extraction process? It can take a while after the ThirdParty folders are deleted. Beyond that, it might be worth running chkdsk on the drive to make sure that there's no file system corruption or anything of that nature.

The Logs folder is only populated if debug logging is turned on. Debug logging would help in this case, but it can't easily be turned on without being able to start the app. Still, if you have 11.1 working, then perhaps you could turn on debug logging under Tools > Options > Debugging and that will give us a bit more information.

I don't have the machine at the moment. I will ask the friend who does to leave the process go for like 30 minutes to see if anything happens. As I said previously I let it go for a few under 10.

If nothing happens I'll get a debug log.

• Like 1

Not sure if it's my own fault or not, but I'm kinda noticing some clips showing up on the wrong Platform now. Like I'm getting Lynx clips seen on some 7800 games such as Mrs. Pac-Man and then I seen the Game Gear version of Samurai Shodown seen on the 3DO version of it, All are directed from my own video directory and not from LaunchBox\Videos\...

7 hours ago, Pixel said:

With multiple videos, I think it's time for multiple manuals and music, which were left off in the media tab.

Both are kind of already in. Music file supports a m3u (playlist) and you can have pdf additional apps that show as a manual in Big Box. I understand where you are getting at though.

Ok after reverting to 11.1 stable and then enabling debug logs, I reinstalled 11.2 stable and started LB again while watching for the Logs folder to be populated. As you guessed previously, the initial entry that was last in the log while the it was stuck initializing was "Libraries Initialization: Extracting ThirdParty folder...". Deleting the folders as you suggested doesn't seem to allow it to get any further.

Not sure exactly what the hold up was (I did mess with the ScummVM folder previously, though I thought I had reverted all my changes), but I then tried deleting every folder under the ThirdParty folder except for 7-Zip, and that ultimately allowed it to start.

On 7/13/2020 at 7:16 AM, Pixel said:

I think this is already on the list. I won't hold more additional apps, and I want to attach magazines, more manuals etc. It won't hold everything. For example:

I cleared and refformated the names, but adding doznes of documents here, which randomly mix among the apps would definately mess things further.

dd.png

You mean the right-click menu is getting too big? Not quite sure what you mean.

4 hours ago, Pixel said:

Guys,

Beta 11.2.

Screen capture stopped working completely for me. I tried everything already.

Just not working at all.

3 hours ago, Mr.Laor said:

Same, can't take screenshots with keyboard hotkey

Just tested with 11.2 official and MAME and it worked fine. What emulators are you testing with?

3 minutes ago, oblivioncth said:

Ok after reverting to 11.1 stable and then enabling debug logs, I reinstalled 11.2 stable and started LB again while watching for the Logs folder to be populated. As you guessed previously, the initial entry that was last in the log while the it was stuck initializing was "Libraries Initialization: Extracting ThirdParty folder...". Deleting the folders as you suggested doesn't seem to allow it to get any further.

Not sure exactly what the hold up was (I did mess with the ScummVM folder previously, though I thought I had reverted all my changes), but I then tried deleting every folder under the ThirdParty folder except for 7-Zip, and that ultimately allowed it to start.

Good to hear. This seems to be a rare issue, but we'll be restructuring the way this works before the next official release, so it shouldn't be an issue going forward.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pixel said:

Yes. If I add documents there, it will be very long. It will be mixed with roms, and it can be difficult to find them etc.

Good idea would be to do the same what you did with multiple videos, I think. Maps, cheats, guides, manuals, magazines etc. It's on the list, but I don't know how you want to implement it in the future. Maybe there is a better way to open them than going into the edit menu.

I tried FS-UAE and Steam. Both worked a week ago.

Separate lists like the add to playlist option makes simplest sense to me.

I'm really hoping in the next Beta or so the Video Paths get fixed to where they used to be before all these capture features were added in. I'm finding out it was no accident on my end that some games are showing the wrong Platform versions of themselves as a clip. Like I'm seeing the Lynx version BasketBrawl playing as a clip for the 7800 version & etc. It's getting more and more frustrating and I'm trying to hold out until things actually get fixed instead of going ahead and trying to reorganize everything all over again.

Having a serious problem - Launchbox crashing consistently.

Background  - Added a bunch of games today . Tried adding some images manually by placing them in the correct folder and renaming the files to match the game.

Most of the images are fine - but some are not showing up in LB. So - I click on the preview icon (the magnifying glass)

I get the following message - Your system is running out of memory (RAM) and Launchbox cannot continue.

Then is closes/crashes the program.

This doesn't happen with every game - only the ones where the cover art isn't showing up. I def. have enough RAM (16g) and nothing else running.

Ideas?

I'm still having crashing problems.

Tried switching an image - now when I click on the magifying icon I get the following message:

Unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application. If you click Continue the application will ignore the error and attempt to continue. Out of memory.

image.thumb.png.0663f06f88366b59bd13cc015cb73d0c.png

@Jason Carr Also just meant to let you know that starting with 11.1 beta 1 (it may have been 11.0 beta 1) the speed of any filtering (i.e. searches, changing platforms, changing views) became painfully slow, often taking up to 20 seconds for the scroll view to refresh, but now at 11.2 official the speed is the fastest its ever been, with searches for example often being returned after just 1-2 seconds or so. This is with a collection of 60,000+ titles.

So if this isn't a coincidence and you did make changes in the backend related to populating the games view, note that for me at least the current implementation is stellar.

Edited by oblivioncth

On 7/17/2020 at 1:09 PM, RULLUR said:

I'm really hoping in the next Beta or so the Video Paths get fixed to where they used to be before all these capture features were added in. I'm finding out it was no accident on my end that some games are showing the wrong Platform versions of themselves as a clip. Like I'm seeing the Lynx version BasketBrawl playing as a clip for the 7800 version & etc. It's getting more and more frustrating and I'm trying to hold out until things actually get fixed instead of going ahead and trying to reorganize everything all over again.

I'm lost as to why you have videos that would be showing up on incorrect games, but I'm confident that that isn't happening for other users, so I'm not sure what's going on there. Any chance you had that video duplicated across multiple games before?

On 7/17/2020 at 3:44 PM, Mr.Laor said:

Having a serious problem - Launchbox crashing consistently.

Background  - Added a bunch of games today . Tried adding some images manually by placing them in the correct folder and renaming the files to match the game.

Most of the images are fine - but some are not showing up in LB. So - I click on the preview icon (the magnifying glass)

I get the following message - Your system is running out of memory (RAM) and Launchbox cannot continue.

Then is closes/crashes the program.

This doesn't happen with every game - only the ones where the cover art isn't showing up. I def. have enough RAM (16g) and nothing else running.

Ideas?

On 7/18/2020 at 11:27 AM, Mr.Laor said:

I'm still having crashing problems.

Tried switching an image - now when I click on the magifying icon I get the following message:

Unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application. If you click Continue the application will ignore the error and attempt to continue. Out of memory.

image.thumb.png.0663f06f88366b59bd13cc015cb73d0c.png

Hmm, that error is very weird, because that doesn't even appear to be a LaunchBox error. Are you using any plugins, by chance?

On 7/19/2020 at 2:31 PM, oblivioncth said:

@Jason Carr Also just meant to let you know that starting with 11.1 beta 1 (it may have been 11.0 beta 1) the speed of any filtering (i.e. searches, changing platforms, changing views) became painfully slow, often taking up to 20 seconds for the scroll view to refresh, but now at 11.2 official the speed is the fastest its ever been, with searches for example often being returned after just 1-2 seconds or so. This is with a collection of 60,000+ titles.

So if this isn't a coincidence and you did make changes in the backend related to populating the games view, note that for me at least the current implementation is stellar.

Welp, zero changes were made across any of those versions that should affect the speed of filtering or populating games. So all I can figure is that there was some kind of outside influence there.

5 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I'm lost as to why you have videos that would be showing up on incorrect games, but I'm confident that that isn't happening for other users, so I'm not sure what's going on there. Any chance you had that video duplicated across multiple games before?

I have now made Subfolders and even thought everything isn't Titled exact to the game with a -01 at the end of it I have found that it seems to detect keywords similar to the game titles. So when I didn't set a game to a video clip I guess it automatically found one, and it was for the wrong platform? Before then I just had one larger folder filled with video clips of Gameplays and Commercials/Trailers without any Subfolders added in.

So basically my Atari 7800 Ms. Pac-Man ended up using a Lynx Ms. Pac-Man clip just because I didn't go in and set it to the 7800 clip, so instead it kinda found whatever had Ms. Pac-Man in the title I guess and just kept with that clip only? Same with my 3DO version of Samurai Shodown didn't have clip set to it, so it just automatically ended up using the Game Gear version of  it instead?

I'm hoping now that I have made Platform Subfolders in my custom Video directory that this won't happen again. Just gonna be such a pain to manually get all these videos set to how they're supposed to be again. I had to make copies of some clips that were a commercial that mentioned several other Platforms in them just so they don't play tug of war over the same clip. My only thing now is trying to make sure I don't have the wrong clip playing for a Regionally different version.

Edited by RULLUR