LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android New Version - Beta Testing

Jason Carr

So far so good on Galaxy Note 20.

This may not be a Launchbox problem but maybe someone with a android can help.

When I installed the launchbox app and I scrapped some android and gamecube games, all the pictures are now in my camera rolls.

Anyway to stop this?

Screenshot_20210808-120423_Gallery.thumb.jpg.15c10496aea974cf19d7ffe536e377b5.jpg

Edited by g0d53nd

I don't remember if this is how it was before, but when the desktop export is working it would be fantastic if it had an option to only export the default rom for games that have more than one version. Essentially a 1G1R type of system.

On 8/5/2021 at 6:25 AM, Jason Carr said:

For various reasons, we recently decided to get back into development on LaunchBox for Android. Google never fully followed through on the security restrictions they promised, which ultimately would get in the way of emulation frontends on Android, and while they're still moving that direction, there's no conclusive information on if and when apps will be required to switch to the new security model. We've decided to jump back into Android development and just hope that when new versions of Android are released, they don't take away our nice things.

One thing that we're doing differently this time though: we're completely avoiding Google Play. Going forward, the only way to install and use LaunchBox for Android will be sideloading it. This isn't really a major issue, because you basically have to sideload Retroarch anyways in order to get the best emulation experience on Android. Sideloading apps does not require rooting your device; it only requires enabling installing apps from outside the Play Store in your device's settings.

If you previously purchased the LaunchBox for Android app from Google Play, and would like to help us beta test the new version of the app, please email us at support@unbrokensoftware.com with the email on the Google account that you used to purchase. We'll be sending out downloads and license keys to users who have previously purchased the app.

Unfortunately we still have some website development to do for users who did not purchase the app from Google Play, so currently beta testing is only open to users who previously purchased the app on Google Play. Unfortunately, for privacy reasons, Google does not allow us to see a list of emails of people who purchased the app, so it will largely be a manual process to get people upgraded to the new licensing system (our own DRM-free licensing, instead of Google Play's).

The app itself is in pretty good shape at this point with 4 different platforms views and 4 different games views (half of them are new and include wheels and a BannerBox-style platforms view). There are still some big things that need built, like the update system, and a few bugs, but in general it works very well.

Below are some screenshots as a quick teaser. Please email us at support@unbrokensoftware.com if you've previously purchased the app on Google Play and would like to beta test.

10295323_LaunchBoxforAndroid-NintendoEntertainmentSystem-Wheel.thumb.png.4fc14ab31d76ba1ac6275995fcd0386a.png

2019078799_LaunchBoxforAndroid-Nintendo64-Banners.thumb.png.2455ad7ed6c9b7ce55e1dd998a2dea33.png

179515665_LaunchBoxforAndroid-Castlevania-Wheel.thumb.png.8b77426b7eafedeaeffdc446b7446860.png

@Jason Carr I'm really glad to see the android project back up and running. However, I sent an email about a week ago to try out the latest beta, but haven't heard back. By any chance, did you get an email from an address with this same username? 

Hi regarding the new beta I did send a message a few days ago but received no reply regarding this.is there a way for me to get a link for it,I have the older version previously for my tablet which I purchased from the play store would be great to be able to try the beta.best regards - Craig.

37 minutes ago, ALIE said:

just got time for trying it.

But when i click the link on my phone, it says at the bottom of the page.

"The page you requested could not be found"

I See I was too late

Hi @ALIE,

I'd recommend sending another email to support@unbrokensoftware.com

4 hours ago, Eiji4653 said:

I got it working now thanks but I find this version does crash a fair bit when trying to add systems to it.i guess that's how it goes with beta versions.

Same here.

Xiaomi Note 8 Pro (6GB/128GB) - Android 10 - Launchbox with full permission, roms in Launchbox/Games/Atari 2600 in zip.

I believe that now the option that was removed in Launchbox, EXPORT to ANDROID, would be ideal as many already have full packs + artworks.

Is there any chance of this happening folks?

Claudio

On 8/8/2021 at 6:15 PM, Tomkun said:

I don't remember if this is how it was before, but when the desktop export is working it would be fantastic if it had an option to only export the default rom for games that have more than one version. Essentially a 1G1R type of system.

I'll look to see how easy that is to do when I implement the new Android exporter.

On 8/8/2021 at 7:21 PM, bundangdon said:

@Jason Carr I'm really glad to see the android project back up and running. However, I sent an email about a week ago to try out the latest beta, but haven't heard back. By any chance, did you get an email from an address with this same username? 

Weird; I remember responding to you. Are you sure it didn't end up in spam somewhere? You should have two emails from us.

On 8/8/2021 at 11:29 PM, Eiji4653 said:

Hi regarding the new beta I did send a message a few days ago but received no reply regarding this.is there a way for me to get a link for it,I have the older version previously for my tablet which I purchased from the play store would be great to be able to try the beta.best regards - Craig.

Yeah, I remember responding to you as well. Please check your spam folder.

On 8/9/2021 at 9:51 AM, ALIE said:

just got time for trying it.

But when i click the link on my phone, it says at the bottom of the page.

"The page you requested could not be found"

I See I was too late

What link are you clicking? You're not too late.

On 8/9/2021 at 10:38 AM, Eiji4653 said:

I got it working now thanks but I find this version does crash a fair bit when trying to add systems to it.i guess that's how it goes with beta versions.

Yes, we're working on resolving those issues. I also have a new version coming out shortly with some new stuff and a bunch of fixes. But the point of these beta threads is to test and report any issues. So if you run into a crash, please let us know and report it to us in this thread with as much information as possible.

On 8/9/2021 at 3:13 PM, Cauptain said:

Same here.

Xiaomi Note 8 Pro (6GB/128GB) - Android 10 - Launchbox with full permission, roms in Launchbox/Games/Atari 2600 in zip.

I believe that now the option that was removed in Launchbox, EXPORT to ANDROID, would be ideal as many already have full packs + artworks.

Is there any chance of this happening folks?

Claudio

Yes, this is coming back.

• Thanks 1

Is there any way to beta test without having bought the app in the past? I would like to beta test on a Chromebook/Android phone/Android tv(shield and non shield) to help. But never bought the app (I was too late). I am a full licenced LaunchBox pc user if that helps :)

Edited by thamaster88

Hey all, I've just uploaded and sent out beta 2 of LaunchBox for Android to all of your emails. Updating to beta 2 will be a manual process, because the automatic update system had not yet been built when we released beta 1.

Here are the changes for beta 2:

• Imports are now very fast, because LaunchBox does not download all media during the initial import process; instead, media is now downloaded as needed. This can be turned off in the Options menu.
  • A new option to "Download All Missing Media" is available for each platform; this will allow you to download everything for the platform all at once, if desired
  • New automatic update system
  • New debug logging options and logs in the LaunchBox folder
  • A million bug fixes

Any testing you can do would be very much appreciated. We're looking at this beta as a release candidate for the first official release, so hopefully we can squash any bugs beforehand.

• Thanks 2

On 8/11/2021 at 10:30 AM, thamaster88 said:

Is there any way to beta test without having bought the app in the past? I would like to beta test on a Chromebook/Android phone/Android tv(shield and non shield) to help. But never bought the app (I was too late). I am a full licenced LaunchBox pc user if that helps :)

Apologies, but currently we don't have a way to handle that stuff (we're still working on the website side of things). We hope to have the official version out in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Oh, I forgot to mention, if you do run into a crash, we would appreciate if you could share the log file for it from the LaunchBox\Logs folder. Debug logs are disabled by default, but if you're on a beta release, they're currently forced on, so you should have logs no matter what. :)

• Like 1