LaunchBox Community Forums

13.9 Beta Thread

faeran

8 hours ago, Retrogamer4423 said:

I found out that the problem is caused by the launchbox default theme. When I switch to different themes, video and image transitions are faster. I think the default theme completely refreshes the game info screen every time I change the game. This causes the lag. In short, the problem is not with the launchbox but with the way the theme works. Default theme game info screen should be edited.

All themes have Platform/Game Details reload on item selection. That being said Default does have quite a few transition animations that occur that others don't that would increase the time it takes to load in. Those time are static though and shouldn't be changing with a change of drive.

14 hours ago, C-Beats said:

All themes have Platform/Game Details reload on item selection. That being said Default does have quite a few transition animations that occur that others don't that would increase the time it takes to load in. Those time are static though and shouldn't be changing with a change of drive.

I could be wrong, but I know that SSD's have different read/write speeds depending on the model, so it's possible that @Retrogamer4423 ssd's are running at different speeds. This could account for the differences in load speeds that he is experiencing. 

I too have noticed a little bit of lag when scrolling though the games on Launchbox. I also noticed that when using an xbox controller to scroll though the games that Launchbox will continue to scroll even I stop making motions with the controller. 

On 10/28/2023 at 7:18 AM, Vader said:

I could be wrong, but I know that SSD's have different read/write speeds depending on the model, so it's possible that @Retrogamer4423 ssd's are running at different speeds. This could account for the differences in load speeds that he is experiencing. 

I too have noticed a little bit of lag when scrolling though the games on Launchbox. I also noticed that when using an xbox controller to scroll though the games that Launchbox will continue to scroll even I stop making motions with the controller. 

He using m.2 gen4 ssds for 13.8 LB and they really fast 3gig/sec transfer time for file copy. And fast lb is 13.6 and used Sata SSD like 500mb/s transfer.

Older version have faster from newer update. I cause same thing too. 

Our says default theme cause slower on newer version and it's a bug. Maybe cause for storefront etc. Other themes relatively faster than default.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but just a question about the import functionality. The only storefront I'd be likely to add would be Steam (assuming it only adds locally installed games). I also use standalone installers and just add shortcuts to Steam. For instance, the games I buy from GOG I just shortcut into Steam instead of using GOG's launcher (which I like, but it's just simpler to have one unified launcher). Would the Launchbox auto-import also grab games I've manually shortcutted into Steam? I could see how scraping errors might result if a game is an exclusive to another gamefront like Epic or whatever, but that would be easy to tweak after the import.

2 hours ago, snarfo67 said:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but just a question about the import functionality. The only storefront I'd be likely to add would be Steam (assuming it only adds locally installed games). I also use standalone installers and just add shortcuts to Steam. For instance, the games I buy from GOG I just shortcut into Steam instead of using GOG's launcher (which I like, but it's just simpler to have one unified launcher). Would the Launchbox auto-import also grab games I've manually shortcutted into Steam? I could see how scraping errors might result if a game is an exclusive to another gamefront like Epic or whatever, but that would be easy to tweak after the import.

We get games lists from the Steam API, not any local library files so things manually added into Steam will not appear in the import process or be automatically imported.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snarfo67 said:

In your specific scenario, you would want to set up Steam in LaunchBox and make it import installed games. Then take your Windows shortcuts, or the game exes from other sources and drag/drop them into LaunchBox. Just make sure the files are named in a way LaunchBox can consume them: Game Name (other information)

1 minute ago, faeran said:

In your specific scenario, you would want to set up Steam in LaunchBox and make it import installed games. Then take your Windows shortcuts, or the game exes from other sources and drag/drop them into LaunchBox. Just make sure the files are named in a way LaunchBox can consume them: Game Name (other information)

That's what I've been doing for years and it works fine. I keep a 'Shortcuts For Launchbox' folder in my Games folder and just put all game shortcuts there after I install a game, then drag it to Launchbox to add. Works great, just figured I could maybe be even lazier and shave a few minutes :-P. Thanks for the clarification on the Steam import parameters btw.

5 hours ago, Merovingio said:

Please make LaunchBox and BB faster. It's getting slower and moving between games takes longer. It's not nice to wait 3 seconds for a video to start. They are taking the software in a bad direction

As you've been told several times, most of the delay you're complaining about isn't the program being slow, it's a UI animation in play put there by the theme designer. Changing the theme would drastically change your experience. Not saying there isn't room for improvement in either application, but a lot of what you've complained about in the past you already have ways of opting out of.

1 hour ago, C-Beats said:

As you've been told several times, most of the delay you're complaining about isn't the program being slow, it's a UI animation in play put there by the theme designer. Changing the theme would drastically change your experience. Not saying there isn't room for improvement in either application, but a lot of what you've complained about in the past you already have ways of opting out of.

I think we are all here to help Jason and the developers make Launchbox and Bigbox the best it can be. I don't know how many times Merovingio has brough this issue up but looks like it's gotten to the point of frustration. I do agree with him that there seems to be some scrolling lag on Launchbox which looks like it has to do with how the images are rendered. I have switched themes and have noticed similar results with other themes. For me Bigbox seems to render images better as there is hardly any lag. However, I haven't added any videos yet, so we'll see if anything changes after those are added. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vader said:

I think we are all here to help Jason and the developers make Launchbox and Bigbox the best it can be. I don't know how many times Merovingio has brough this issue up but looks like it's gotten to the point of frustration. I do agree with him that there seems to be some scrolling lag on Launchbox which looks like it has to do with how the images are rendered. I have switched themes and have noticed similar results with other themes. For me Bigbox seems to render images better as there is hardly any lag. However, I haven't added any videos yet, so we'll see if anything changes after those are added. Keep up the good work.

I do not believe any one is discounting what is being experienced (I understand that is not really what you mean in your post) it is just that complaining about it several times, in multiple threads, and not actually providing any useful feedback are 2 different things. The users started a thread about it and even posted a video (good way to provide feedback). In that thread information was provided as to what is likely going on and some advice given on things to try yet no response if any of that was done. 

I recommend @Merovingio try what was recommended in that original post and respond there to keep discussion going. We can take it out of the Beta thread. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 2:59 PM, TheNewClassics said:

Hey everyone. Is anyone having issues with controller bindings working in Manuals/Additional App PDFs in BB? I believe I first noticed it in this beta. I can only scroll through the pages using the Pg Up and Pg Down keys.

Can you give a screenshot of what your PDF viewer looks like when you open it? I know when we first started developing this version we had a similar issue, but I'm fairly certain we had it resolved by now.

EDIT: Disregard... I was able to rep. I had already corrected internally but it hasn't made it into the release yet. Should be corrected in beta 2.

• Thanks 1

I've been getting a lot of .NET crashes / errors when importing games, scraping media, editing playlists, and even just exiting BigBox with 13.9 Beta 1.

The .NET error screen with the REPORT button - I'd use the heck out of that if I didn't have to lookup my bitbucket username/password everytime on my cabinets.  Anyway you can allow anonymous error reporting to bitbucket?  Or maybe a token generated by the license associated with LB/BB install that bitbucket accepts?

6 minutes ago, Fursphere said:

I've been getting a lot of .NET crashes / errors when importing games, scraping media, editing playlists, and even just exiting BigBox with 13.9 Beta 1.

The .NET error screen with the REPORT button - I'd use the heck out of that if I didn't have to lookup my bitbucket username/password everytime on my cabinets.  Anyway you can allow anonymous error reporting to bitbucket?  Or maybe a token generated by the license associated with LB/BB install that bitbucket accepts?

Those reports do get anonymously sent to us (just the text inside gets sent, no personal or identifying information) if connected to the internet. Do you have any examples?

It is possible that this issue is unrelated to Launchbox. However, I have been experiencing difficulties updating Launchbox hosted on my local network via the auto-downloader. Specifically, when attempting to install version 13.8, the installation process stops midway and fails to save the Metadata/Metadata.xml file. A similar issue occurred with version 13.7, but with a different file. On the other hand, when I download the installer directly from the Launchbox website, the installation process completes successfully. Has anyone else encountered anything similar?

Edited by Kevin_Flynn

On 11/5/2023 at 1:34 PM, Drybonz said:

Not sure if this started with this beta or before, but I noticed that if you have a playlist, then add an auto-populate rule to not include a platform in the playlist, it does not remove those games from the playlist.

Along these same lines... I removed about half of the rom files in a platform directory, but when I run the "scan>for removed rom files" LaunchBox found no missing files.

I still have 13.8. Updating Retroarch via Launchbox overwrites important personal configurations.
I am forced to always do the update via native Retroarch with which I have set the option to always keep the same MAME core . Instead via Launchbox the core is updated to the latest version despite the fact that in the official Retroarch options I specifically set not to update that stuff

I don't know what other configurations I have overwritten, luckily I had a full backup on nas
Has this been corrected in subsequent betas?