LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox 13.13 - Beta Thread

faeran

41 minutes ago, The Papaw said:

Thx @JoeViking245 I'll have to check that out, but if as you say, doesn't change the default path, I doubt the Auto Import would work by doing that way, correct??

Ahh...  Ya, probably not.  But I think you'd still need to do the option I mentioned for existing games.  Unless the method you tried has the option change the path of the existing games too (if it doesn't lock up on you).

3 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

Ahh...  Ya, probably not.  But I think you'd still need to do the option I mentioned for existing games.  Unless the method you tried has the option change the path of the existing games too (if it doesn't lock up on you).

I had already edited the xml (Sony Playstation 3.xml). But the way you just showed me is sure going to be handy to use in the future 'fer sure!

• Game On 1

I'm having a problem with "scan for added [platform name] roms" with this build. I'm testing it with the NES No-Intro set. It detected about 10 new roms (after around 30 seconds), but then when I click OK to import it seems to get stuck on "Initialising import process...".

Been going for around 20 minutes now. Normally LB is pretty snappy.

image.thumb.png.d59b86099ce04c013119400b38ee4722.png

Don't know if it's related, but I continued doing some work on the NES platform and then it threw an error:

image.thumb.png.fe5addae89e024d4d64a9b27fcf167b3.png

Edited by Retrofrogg

On 3/31/2024 at 11:29 PM, Retrofrogg said:

I'm having a problem with "scan for added [platform name] roms" with this build. I'm testing it with the NES No-Intro set. It detected about 10 new roms (after around 30 seconds), but then when I click OK to import it seems to get stuck on "Initialising import process...".

Don't know if it's related, but I continued doing some work on the NES platform and then it threw an error:

Got the same Problem

The ability to update platforms is a huge help and I just updated my MAME from .263 to .264  After the update I noticed that I now have a new folder "MAME 0.264" (my default folder was just "MAME"). Upon inspection I noticed a discrepancy in the total file count.  Quickly poking around I see I have files in my "MAME/artwork" folder but nothing in the newly created "MAME 0.264/artwork" folder.  As this and other folders are typically blank maybe make an option to copy existing data/folders to the new install or have an option to allow you to select the install folder so we can opt to re-use a prior one or name one specifically (maybe both options).

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 5:29 PM, Retrofrogg said:

23 hours ago, stensgaard said:

this also happens for Mame games with the latest beta .. never seen this problem before!

14 hours ago, cheguewara said:

Got the same Problem

Thanks for the report. We'll get this fixed up for the next beta.

2 hours ago, 1quicksi said:

The ability to update platforms is a huge help and I just updated my MAME from .263 to .264  After the update I noticed that I now have a new folder "MAME 0.264" (my default folder was just "MAME"). Upon inspection I noticed a discrepancy in the total file count.  Quickly poking around I see I have files in my "MAME/artwork" folder but nothing in the newly created "MAME 0.264/artwork" folder.  As this and other folders are typically blank maybe make an option to copy existing data/folders to the new install or have an option to allow you to select the install folder so we can opt to re-use a prior one or name one specifically (maybe both options).

We'll look into this as well.

• Like 2

Hi when i load Launchbox and select Tools and then Emulators i get the following error message:-

I was just trying to add an emulator. It appears it is searching for a file that is not on my computer, how can i reset/change that please? Thanks for your help

Launchbox Error.JPG

3 hours ago, erdybirdy53. said:

Hi when i load Launchbox and select Tools and then Emulators i get the following error message:-

I was just trying to add an emulator. It appears it is searching for a file that is not on my computer, how can i reset/change that please? Thanks for your help

Launchbox Error.JPG

This should be resolved in next beta. In the meantime you can close LaunchBox then go to \\LaunchBox\Data\Emulators.xml and look for that application path in that file and remove it and then save the file and open LaunchBox.

• Like 1

Beta 3 is out with the following changes:

• Improvement: "View 3D Box Model" option is now available in the game context menu
  • Improvement: Updated the MAME metadata file that's included with LaunchBox
  • Fixed: Big Box memory leaks have been addressed, allowing it to run smoother and for extended periods
  • Fixed: Searching for games with colons (':') should now yield expected results
  • Fixed: Various potential null reference errors that could occur within LaunchBox have been squashed
  • Fixed: The manual scan for added games no longer gets stuck during the initialization process
  • Fixed: Updating MAME now correctly installs the new version to the same folder (introduced in 13.12)
  • Fixed: Fixed an issue that caused an error to sometimes appear when retrieving the version information within the Manage Emulators window
  • Fixed: Improved stability to prevent the app from crashing when canceling an emulator download

We have some major Big Box stability improvements in this one, and any help with long term Big Box stability testing would be much appreciated. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • The Cake is a Lie 1

5 hours ago, faeran said:
  • Improvement: "View 3D Box Model" option is now available in the game context menu

This is great but the default shortcut CTRL + B closes LB and opens BB, instead of displaying the 3D box model.

Am I missing something obvious?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cineaste said:

This is great but the default shortcut CTRL + B closes LB and opens BB, instead of displaying the 3D box model.

Am I missing something obvious?

<CTRL+B> has always been the default to switch from LB to BB and still working. @Cineaste is correct, the new beta is showing <CTRL+B> in the context menu to "View 3D Box Model"

On 4/10/2024 at 5:23 PM, faeran said:

Beta 3 is out with the following changes:

• Improvement: Updated the MAME metadata file that's included with LaunchBox

What is the change with this?  Does it include more categories for the metadata?

7 minutes ago, Drybonz said:

What is the change with this?  Does it include more categories for the metadata?

That file is only used if you decide to import MAME games using our ROM Import wizard. It's essentially a fallback file for when we can't use MAME itself to generate the exact information based on the version you are trying to import.

• Like 1

I noticed a quite odd/interesting issue when upgrading to 13.11.  LB/BB appeared to be launching additional applications over and over again after launching once.  Specifically, after launching a game using the Sinden light gun software as additional app, LB/BB attempted to start the Sinden software again and again during gameplay, rendering play impossible.  My troubleshooting efforts led to downgrading back to 13.9, where behavior finally subsided.  Any chance this kind of behavior has been addressed in this latest beta, or perhaps with 13.12?

Not sure if this is beta related, but I was updating media via Missing Media Tool. When looking for missing videos, if I select, turn on the Steam Trailers as an option, it cripples LB and errors on about every video (took almost 2 hours trying to download 38 videos)

They are all coming from the same base URL of http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/.....

Untitled2.thumb.jpg.bcf6f51907f5675ead6fcc6cd5b8a535.jpg

Untitled.thumb.jpg.87b40c637231567c61689857fac2992f.jpg

Edited by The Papaw
added screenshot

Probably not introduced in the latest beta, but thought I'd leave this here anyway. The "Multiple Version" badge doesn't show when combining two GOG games together. It's also impossible to split them apart since LaunchBox doesn't recognize them as "combined".

Do with this information as you see fit.

• Thanks 1

Another observation/bug:

Let's say I have a Windows game, which is not bound to a storefront (just an exe from a local folder), and that I combine it with either a GOG game or an EPIC game (with the gog/epic game being an additional app, and the local exe being the default application). If I manually set the "installed" flag to "True", then launch the game, upon exiting, the installed flag will be set to False (probably because the gog or epic version is not installed). It doesn't seem right. Confirmed as happening in the latest beta, although I noticed it a few build back.

• Thanks 1