LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

Haelstrom I think that joke went over your head just a little. LaunchBox works great on Windows 10 if not I would have never been able to use it since I've been running 10 on all of my computers since before I discovered LaunchBox.

No one really cares, Brad; they only like me for my software. :P Just put out a new beta with sound effects. You can, of course, turn them off in the General options. I'm not sold on these particular sound effects (other than the startup sound I created). If anyone finds anything better, please speak up. Of course we can't use it unless it's royalty free. The sound effects can be replaced just by overwriting the files in the Sounds subfolder. LaunchBox already needed DirectX for game controllers, but now Big Box uses it for the sound effects as well. I'm thinking I might need to put that requirement into the setup, as well as the .NET framework. It feels less portable that way, but oh well. Also, unfortunately, I've been noticing crashes come up around once a day or so. They're heap corruption errors, which are a royal pain to resolve, and they don't give you any kind of error information. Has anyone else seen these? They seem to be happening primarily on slower systems or when the system is busy doing something else while in Big Box.

Lol. Another new beta is out. I think I've finally addressed the remaining stability issues; please let me know if anyone runs into any additional crashes or errors. Also, still need feedback on the sounds. I'm off to add the updated translations.

Hi @Jason Carr. I am testing the sounds, the intro sound is delayed for me, it starts when is already in Big Box main screen. The other sounds are working great. Do you think that, in the future, will it be possible to personalize the sounds? I know you can have problems if you distribute LaunchBox with non royalty free sounds so, what if the user can select the sounds by himself and that way you can free yourself of those issues. Also, are you changing something in the forums, if I try to go to https://www.launchbox-app.com it ask me to login at archive.org...

Ugh...that's not good. No, I haven't changed anything on the site. Anyone else seeing that archive.org thing? Ick. Good to know on the intro sound. Wonder what I can do about that one, hmm. You can actually already personalize the sounds just by overwriting the wav files in the Sounds subfolder.

Do you think my PC is infected or something? I am browsing to a lot of sites to see if the problem repeats elsewhere but everything seems normal... Great to know about that Jason, I will search for more sounds to personalize my Big Box. Anyway I think the default sounds are great because they kinda match with each other.

Hi Jason. The new sound effects play fine in BigBox and I can replace them ok with custom ones. However, if I disable a sound effect (untick it's checkbox), then when I quit and restart BigBox, the sound effect is re-enabled. Edit: The Startup sound stays disabled, but the other 3 automatically re-enable themselves on BigBox restart.

Reporting 2 errors when opening my images in full screen at Big Box: http://i.imgur.com/tYGSwcK.png http://i.imgur.com/Bt4dYNA.png Also, the sound and animations stutters a lot sometimes, this wasn't an issue in the beta 37-38 but I noticed in this latest beta (39). Maybe its just me...

Thanks guys, just put out a series of betas while fixing a bunch of bugs. @CliveBarker, hopefully I've fixed those bugs you just reported; let me know if not. @scree, I've fixed the issue with saving the sound settings as well. The sound stuttering should be pretty rare, but it's driving me nuts as well. I've already put a ton of time into fixing it, but haven't gotten anywhere. I'll have to keep researching that one.

Another new beta is out with some more transitions and transition options (sliding horizontally and vertically). Game details, platform details, and platform game boxes now slide by default. This beta also has an updated setup; let me know if anyone has issues with it. The installer now checks for the .NET framework 4.5 and will download and install it if necessary. Also, Big Box (and actually LaunchBox too for a while now) require DirectX, so the installer will install any necessary missing DirectX libraries as well. However, DirectX is only installed on initial install, not on upgrades (due to the system admin requirements for the DirectX installer).

Hi Jason, everything is working for me and the last two errors that I posted are solved now. There are some overlapped translations at the Big Box options but if you want, leave them until everything before the release its translated. That way I can check everything and send you screenshots of all the issues.