LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

I note that when deleting a platform there still isn't an option to delete the ROM. Wondering if it would be good to get this consistent before 6.4. I guess a dialog as per the below is a step too far ;) https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/1224/delete-roms-images-when-deleting-platforms

Thank you Martin. I've seen that popup issue before, stupid Windows. It's kind of a problem with the Windows interface in general. There are fixes for it, but I keep delaying the official 6.4 release, so I won't get that fixed before the official release as I want to (finally) get it out. Same goes for deleting platforms; that's planned but isn't the highest of priorities right now.

Just put out another new beta. Been going through Bitbucket and fixing as many bugs as I can. I fixed the Scrape As default platform bug as well as a bunch of other random more obscure ones. I'm hoping this can be the final release candidate and we can put out the official release later this afternoon. Primarily, though, I need to receive confirmation from @emko that the issue with the controller Back button is fixed. Thanks guys, any testing anyone can do in the next few hours would be much appreciated. :)

Absolutely Jason - totally agree. These release are so solid in general and frequent that it's not a panic if things get pushed back until the "next release". OT - enjoyed watching your Billy & Jay song earlier. Interesting to see your musical tastes. Saw Shinedown with Black Stone Cherry, Halestorm and Highly Suspect earlier this year on the Carnival of Madness tour here in the UK. Seeing Alter Bridge in November and buying tickets tomorrow to take my two little girls to Avenged Sevenfold and Disturbed in January. They have been well raised ;)

That is awesome, Martin. You have excellent musical tastes. ;) Per testing, pretty much everything is worth testing, but Big Box is probably the best thing to focus on. Specifically between the two video engines and background videos vs. non-background videos, as well as making sure that the controller back button is working properly. Thanks again, Martin. :)

No problem - away from home, but trusty external drive of games and controller with me :) Both video engines seem to play videos fine in all screens. Only comments are that: a) Some videos seem stretched to wide-screen. Not a big deal, and probably no better option, just a comment. b) No video in coverflow view which makes sense c) No video in console list in the below view, just background image. Should there be? http://imgur.com/a/SW2Jy

Do you have background videos turned on, Martin? The videos should only show up in that view if background videos are enabled. The video stretching is unfortunately just the only thing we can do to show the videos fullscreen in the background, of course. And yeah, haven't added it to CoverFlow because I think it makes sense to keep that view clean.

Weird issue when updating images and metadata. If I select all the games in one platform, for example "MAME" and then go to Tools, Download Metadata and Images and chose to have it overwrite all the Metadata and Images to re scrape that platform it will create the Original LaunchBox platform of "Arcade" which is to be expected since it is overwriting the Metadata. However, if I select all in the newly created platform "Arcade" and then to a Bulk edit to switch the platform of those games back to "MAME", none of the newly downloaded Media movies with it. So I have to move all the media in the folders manually, which can be time consuming. Is this normal behavior?

Jason Carr said Do you have background videos turned on, Martin? The videos should only show up in that view if background videos are enabled.
Yes, all 3 video options switched on. Tried switching off and no videos, and back on and same result. Videos show fine in all other views with both media players

Jazzphone said Weird issue when updating images and metadata. If I select all the games in one platform, for example "MAME" and then go to Tools, Download Metadata and Images and chose to have it overwrite all the Metadata and Images to re scrape that platform it will create the Original LaunchBox platform of "Arcade" which is to be expected since it is overwriting the Metadata. However, if I select all in the newly created platform "Arcade" and then to a Bulk edit to switch the platform of those games back to "MAME", none of the newly downloaded Media movies with it. So I have to move all the media in the folders manually, which can be time consuming. Is this normal behavior?
Thank you @Jazzphone, it's good to see that whole scenario. I never thought about overwriting metadata actually changing the platforms for the games; I guess it's arguable either way whether or not that should happen when you overwrite metadata. Per the media not moving, that is a known issue that I have on my list to fix. Unfortunately it won't be an easy fix so I won't get a fix for that in before 6.4, but hopefully I can tackle it soon after.

Jason Carr said
emko said beta 6, back button on controller does not work for most menus anymore only place it still works is in the games details menu when you press back it goes back to the systems games list but you can't back out of the games list or if your on the systems menu you can't back out to the options menus etc
Hi @emko, I just put out beta 7 which I'm hoping will fix this for you. I couldn't replicate it so I'm not 100% sure what might be going on. I'm hoping to put out the official release later today if possible, so if you can test this to see if it fixes it I'd appreciate it. :)
What ever you did fixed it, Thanks

martinconroy said
Jason Carr said Do you have background videos turned on, Martin? The videos should only show up in that view if background videos are enabled.
Yes, all 3 video options switched on. Tried switching off and no videos, and back on and same result. Videos show fine in all other views with both media players
Ah, yes, I am confirming this in my tests as well. I didn't realize it but I did forget to add the background videos to the text list view for platforms. I am going to push the fix for this off past 6.4 though, but again, I'll put it on my shortlist. Thanks Martin. :)

Jason Carr said
Jazzphone said Weird issue when updating images and metadata. If I select all the games in one platform, for example "MAME" and then go to Tools, Download Metadata and Images and chose to have it overwrite all the Metadata and Images to re scrape that platform it will create the Original LaunchBox platform of "Arcade" which is to be expected since it is overwriting the Metadata. However, if I select all in the newly created platform "Arcade" and then to a Bulk edit to switch the platform of those games back to "MAME", none of the newly downloaded Media movies with it. So I have to move all the media in the folders manually, which can be time consuming. Is this normal behavior?
Thank you @Jazzphone, it's good to see that whole scenario. I never thought about overwriting metadata actually changing the platforms for the games; I guess it's arguable either way whether or not that should happen when you overwrite metadata. Per the media not moving, that is a known issue that I have on my list to fix. Unfortunately it won't be an easy fix so I won't get a fix for that in before 6.4, but hopefully I can tackle it soon after.
Sounds great! Maybe add a check box on the screen where you select Yes, Overwrite Metadata and Images to keep the Platform the same? As things change in LaunchBox Database, I plan on doing this periodically to make sure I have good information.

@Jason I'm getting close to releasing the first set of platform clear logos so I'm getting the zip setup with existing Launchbox folder structure so that all you have to do is drag and drop in the base Launchbox folder and then merge the folders. One thing I noticed, however, is that most (maybe all?) of the default platform clear logos are incorrectly named with a .jpg file type when in reality they're actually .pngs. Beyond the fact that this is... well kinda weird... this presents a problem for quick installation of my pack because they're all .pngs; this means that it's not going to prompt people to overwrite the existing clear logo files, it's just going to put them in the same folder, and then people will have to go through and delete all the old ones. .jpg format doesn't have transparency support so anything that's named "blahblah.jpg" and has transparencies... you can be certain isn't, in fact, a .jpg. Any idea why this is how they're coming in by default through LB and if that can be corrected in the future? I have the feeling this won't even help existing users to be honest, because I don't think any change you would make would have any impact on the extension of people's existing files, but it would help for future users I suppose. My guess is people are just going to have to delete their old files when they install the pack, but I'm trying to cut down on the work required as much as possible. I guess it's also possible that my default image files are just older and this issue has since been corrected... I'm not sure. Incorrect-File-Extension.jpg

Ah yeah, I forgot about that bug, @Zombeaver. LaunchBox doesn't care and I hardcoded the extension that it writes out without thinking about it a long time ago. I'll put a fix for this on my shortlist. But yeah, sadly, people's existing files won't automatically get fixed when I do.