LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

Jason Carr said
shinra358 said With skipping details on with a button that can go into details (which is a feature I asked for years ago xD ), backing out of the details screen results in the music not playing. If the details has a video, the video turns off when you press the back button and then you have to press the back button again to get out of the details screen. Video still doesn't play when ur back in the games view. But actually it does, just the first millisecond of the vid then a couple secs pass and then that first millisecond of the vid plays again. The millisecond from that vid can be heard even on other games that dont have video periodically.
Hi @shinra358, is this happening with both the Windows Media Player engine and VLC? Which one are you using?
Hello. I haven't tested the wmp one. Just the VLC one. Edit: Just tested. Seems to be VLC only. Edit2: After the update, seems like when on details screen, I can press back and it will go back to the game page liike it's supposed to but while back on the game page from this, the video sometimes doesn't start up again. And you can't back out back into the platforms again and there's a slight chance of bigbox crashing when trying to do so. Edit3: Lastly, I have all transitions on fade. When going to the details screen, it slowly fades out showing an ugly gray background before the details screen. But when I back out of the details screen, it doesn't show the ugly gray background, it maintains to show the background image which is good. Being able to see the gray when going to the details screen is not good.

Thanks all, new beta is out with fixes for the German translation. I also increased the size of the wheel thumbnail images as well. That's about it for this beta though. I'll be wrapping up everything I can here for the next couple days to prep (once again, hopefully for real this time) for the official 6.4 release. :)

Thanks a ton @Jason! I can totally notice the difference on the clear logos. I think that even the 150% scale scanline versions of the logos I made are just a touch small to achieve the effect I'm going for, but 250% looks pretty decent with the new resolution; and as an added benefit the normal versions look better too! Thanks again!

Jason Carr said
CriticalCid said LB already downloads the artwork for all available regions. @Jason maybe LaunchBox should now automatically use the corresponding artwork based on the region in order to get the full potential out of this new feature? Because as of now it seems completely random which region cover LaunchBox shows me. Region priorities for ROMs which are multi-region or the World region would be nice as well.
Agreed, Cid. We should definitely do that.
Just pulling this up so that it doesn’t get forgotten. ;) Because that was also a part of the region scrape ticket (and the reason why I voted for it in the first place) I hope that it will get added very soon :)

Alright all, new beta is out. Made some excellent unexpected progress today with the VLC videos, thanks to @veltaius in the live stream. He pointed out that there were some important new fixes available for the Meta.Vlc library, which is working wonders for us. VLC videos now support transitions and everything. The issues with the VLC videos not playing when going back should be fixed now as well. Any testing you guys can do with the VLC and/or the WMP video engines would be appreciated. I think WMP videos should be fine but it is possible that they were affected so that would be good to test as well. Also, this morning I implemented the shiny new logos that are now available for downloading from EmuMovies. Yay @circo! :) The error that showed up on imports for non-premium EmuMovies members is also fixed, per the live stream. Thanks all; I'm hoping this is a good release candidate, ultimately.

Zombeaver said Thanks a ton @Jason! I can totally notice the difference on the clear logos. I think that even the 150% scale scanline versions of the logos I made are just a touch small to achieve the effect I'm going for, but 250% looks pretty decent with the new resolution; and as an added benefit the normal versions look better too! Thanks again!
Great to hear! Those wheels should look pretty boss. @Zombeaver's putting together some killer wheel images, guys.

CriticalCid said
Jason Carr said
CriticalCid said LB already downloads the artwork for all available regions. @Jason maybe LaunchBox should now automatically use the corresponding artwork based on the region in order to get the full potential out of this new feature? Because as of now it seems completely random which region cover LaunchBox shows me. Region priorities for ROMs which are multi-region or the World region would be nice as well.
Agreed, Cid. We should definitely do that.
Just pulling this up so that it doesn’t get forgotten. ;) Because that was also a part of the region scrape ticket (and the reason why I voted for it in the first place) I hope that it will get added very soon :)
This is still on my plate, @CriticalCid. Sadly I won't get it into the 6.4 release, but hopefully we can tackle it shortly after.

knewlife said Hello with beta 4 i try to import zinc games using MAME metadata. Uncheck all option to avoid skipping any game. Launchbox import 56 games out of 71. Importing without using name data works but no metadata is imported.
Ah, thanks for noting that @knewlife. It sounds like it's just skipping any games that don't exist in the current metadata. I won't be able to fix this for 6.4; can you put in a ticket for it to improve the metadata and/or import them anyway even if they don't have metadata?

Jason Carr said
shinra358 said vlc vids still don't play after backing out of the details section.
Just fixed this in this beta. :)
There's still an issue. It plays BUT, the vid in the games wheel view keeps it's position (meaning if you go to detail screen and then come back, it'll start where it left off instead of starting over). While the details view vid always starts over. And also, when going into details, it still fades to a grey background (no image) before going to details. But when you come from details, there's always a background image present.

shinra358 said There's still an issue. It plays BUT, the vid in the games wheel view keeps it's position (meaning if you go to detail screen and then come back, it'll start where it left off instead of starting over). While the details view vid always starts over. And also, when going into details, it still fades to a grey background (no image) before going to details. But when you come from details, there's always a background image present.
The video keeping its position is by design. Let's see how everyone else feels about it and we can change it if people don't like it this way. The fading to black thing when opening up details is because a new model is being generated, whereas going back is just using the existing model that is already open. This is probably fixable but will take some work and unfortunately I can't make it a priority for this release.

yeah but the issue is details vid doesn't but game vid does. doesn't make sense for one to do it but one doesn't. no need to see how ppl like it. just have 'keep vid position' in videos section in options to let the user choose. that way you can move on without wait time.

beta 6, back button on controller does not work for most menus anymore only place it still works is in the games details menu when you press back it goes back to the systems games list but you can't back out of the games list or if your on the systems menu you can't back out to the options menus etc

Jason Carr said
knewlife said Hello with beta 4 i try to import zinc games using MAME metadata. Uncheck all option to avoid skipping any game. Launchbox import 56 games out of 71. Importing without using name data works but no metadata is imported.
Ah, thanks for noting that @knewlife. It sounds like it's just skipping any games that don't exist in the current metadata. I won't be able to fix this for 6.4; can you put in a ticket for it to improve the metadata and/or import them anyway even if they don't have metadata?
Will do it, but probably gonna download the last beta, and test with other non mame arcade system (Sega Model 3) to see if the problem is still there, if is not present there I will create the Bitbucket as a Zinc specific problem. thanks

emko said beta 6, back button on controller does not work for most menus anymore only place it still works is in the games details menu when you press back it goes back to the systems games list but you can't back out of the games list or if your on the systems menu you can't back out to the options menus etc
Hi @emko, I just put out beta 7 which I'm hoping will fix this for you. I couldn't replicate it so I'm not 100% sure what might be going on. I'm hoping to put out the official release later today if possible, so if you can test this to see if it fixes it I'd appreciate it. :)

Hi @Jason Carr Minor annoyance... When you load Launchbox, if there is a dialog for a new beta, but if the "Welcome" dialog is showing neither are easy to access. You can't close the "Welcome" as the update dialog is dominant, but that is hidden behind the Welcome dialog.