LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

Also, it's important to note that the platform images can be named anything as long as they're in the right folders. So unfortunately overwriting will never work anyways. In the future I'll solve this by adding support for image packs (and sound packs). I also hope to allow people to integrate the images into the custom themes.

Jason Carr said Ah yeah, I forgot about that bug, @Zombeaver. LaunchBox doesn't care and I hardcoded the extension that it writes out without thinking about it a long time ago. I'll put a fix for this on my shortlist. But yeah, sadly, people's existing files won't automatically get fixed when I do.
Gotcha. I figured it was something along those lines. It's no biggie - I just wanted to make it as easy for people as possible Wink
Jason Carr said Also, it's important to note that the platform images can be named anything as long as they're in the right folders.
Interesting. I didn't realize that.
Jason Carr said In the future I'll solve this by adding support for image packs (and sound packs). I also hope to allow people to integrate the images into the custom themes.
Oh, I definitely like the sound of that! Thanks for all your hard work as always!

Jason Carr said Also, it's important to note that the platform images can be named anything as long as they're in the right folders. So unfortunately overwriting will never work anyways.
Actually... I don't quite understand this bit. I get that they can be named anything as long as they're in the right folder, but why would this prevent overwriting from working? If my files are named identically to the only other files that are in the existing clear logo folders (which should, by default, be named identically to the name of the platform)... then why wouldn't it work? The only thing that's stopping it currently is the fact that mine are named [platform name].png instead of [platform name].jpg I mean, even in the current state - once the default logo files are deleted - the filename/folder structure in the pack is setup so that people can swap between normal and scanline versions by overwriting (because the files are named identically) - you just copy the scanline -> images folder into the Launchbox folder to overwrite the normal versions and vice versa. ...does that make sense? haha You'll open it up and see this: Pack-Folder-Structure.jpg If you go into either "Normal" or "Scanlines" folders you'll then have a folder structure of Images -> Platforms -> [individual platform folders for each platform covered in the pack] -> Clear Logo -> [platform name].png If you want to swap from one version to another you just drag the "Images" folder from either version and merge/overwrite. That would even work with the default files... if they had the same file extension haha. Sorry, I'm probably wasting time on minutia here Confused

Yeah, that's true; it's predicated on people having either the default files or new files that are named identically to the default ones. I guess I had just assumed that that would be true for everyone because, prior to now, I had been under the impression that these image files needed to follow the same strict naming convention as other images that LB looks for. Hmm... oh well; not a huge deal!

Hey all, I just rushed out the 6.5 release because we were dealing with more annoying Kaspersky false positives with 6.4. I added searching with an on-screen keyboard functionality to Big Box and somehow magically that fixed the Kaspersky false positives, so I decided to go ahead and put out the official release. Hopefully nothing is broken; let me know if anyone finds any new or critical bugs.

Hi Jason. I just discovered that the fields in LaunchBox (desktop mode) List View can now be moved about. However, if I switch to Image View and then return to List View, the fields are reset to their default order. The same applies if I exit and restart LaunchBox. I can't find a way to save the sorted fields.

Hey Jason LB reports an error when I pick the search. I tried posting the error not sure if it worked since I got another error when trying. Question after the latest beta console videos was on. so I turned them of, now I see my consol banners has changed into some 3d consoles from the device folders I think . They look nice a little small but they don't appear on all systems and the ones that don't have this style my old art isn't showing.

I am getting this error when using the new search function with my xbox 360 controller but this error does not happen when I use my keyboard. Also are you planning on adding a feature so we can map a key to be able to pull up the search menu so we do not have to go into the options menu in order to search for a game? I am already loving this new search feature but being able to map it to a key to pull up the search on screen keyboard would be awesome!! Error.png

Jason Carr said Hey all, I just rushed out the 6.5 release because we were dealing with more annoying Kaspersky false positives with 6.4. I added searching with an on-screen keyboard functionality to Big Box and somehow magically that fixed the Kaspersky false positives, so I decided to go ahead and put out the official release. Hopefully nothing is broken; let me know if anyone finds any new or critical bugs.
Dream come true with Search!!! Thank you, Thank you!!! Of course, you give us a little and we will always want more. Is there any way we can map a key/button to bring up the search dialog from anywhere within BigBox? This would be the icing on the cake.

Thanks all, just put out 6.6 to fix the Search via controller bugs as well as a couple others. @ALIE, I'm not fully following your second paragraph there about the console images. Can you reiterate? Per mapping a key/controller button for the search, that is certainly something we can add, but I haven't added it yet. Keep in mind though that you can get to the search from the games views already by pulling up the alphabetical index. There is a new search icon in the index that will pull up the search. When searching in the games list for a particular platform, for example, it will only show the search results for that platform. Thanks guys; let me know if you see any further issues.

Jason Carr said Thanks all, just put out 6.6 to fix the Search via controller bugs as well as a couple others. @ALIE, I'm not fully following your second paragraph there about the console images. Can you reiterate? Per mapping a key/controller button for the search, that is certainly something we can add, but I haven't added it yet. Keep in mind though that you can get to the search from the games views already by pulling up the alphabetical index. There is a new search icon in the index that will pull up the search. When searching in the games list for a particular platform, for example, it will only show the search results for that platform. Thanks guys; let me know if you see any further issues.
Normaly i used the Consol banners those that look like old pictures. But after the update the images from the folder console images is used not the ones from the banner folder. Edit-search works now

Thanks for the search functionality, i love it! With HyperSpin i had to use a 3rd party application (HyperSearch) for it, but i never got it to work properly. However, i could use some tweaking. Right now the search results are also showing games with the thing you searched for in the developers, publishers, source etc. so when i search for lets say Pacman, it shows the pacman games, but other games as well because the source is pacman.ccp. But i am sure you guys already noticed that. Nevertheless, i have fully replaced HyperSpin with BigBox now!

Hey Jason, There seems to be an issue with Background Game videos when you get to a Game that does not have an associated video. If you move over that game, an Image (Title Screen in this case) shows up below the box art, since there is no video for this game, no video plays in the background. This is expected. However, as soon as you move down to a game that does have a video, the image under the box art remains, even though the game has now changed. Also, there seems to be an issue if you chose not to have Game Background Videos where the only art that shows up is the Clear Logo in the background. So the clear logo is stretched over the background...and yes I have this option unchecked in the Big Box settings to use clear logos as backgrounds. It doesn't seem to make a difference.

Jazzphone said Also, there seems to be an issue if you chose not to have Game Background Videos where the only art that shows up is the Clear Logo in the background. So the clear logo is stretched over the background...and yes I have this option unchecked in the Big Box settings to use clear logos as backgrounds. It doesn't seem to make a difference.
I've noticed this as well for a while now. I'm not sure how to turn it off but I really would like to be able to... it looks completely horrendous when it happens. I don't think clear logos should ever be considered as applicable as a game background. I can't imagine that ever looking good.