LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

just successfully imported all my US SNES games. all are correctly now north america in LB. one error came the first game always seems to fail but a solo import of that game worked. interesting note i just imported all my EU games no issues all games was moved and imported. but the same error came "super baseball 2020" which isn't a EU game and wasn't in my folder. so this game gives an error no matter the import apparentlyWink

Putting out a new beta now that resolves the error that always showed up with the region importing, as well as allows you to cancel the process if an error comes up while deleting ROM files. The error now pops up with OK and Cancel buttons; Cancel will abort the process. This doesn't solve Martin's problem, though; I looked at the code and all I can figure is that the ROM paths are incorrect...nothing else seems to make sense. Let me know what shows up in the ROM path for those games, Martin.

ALIE said just successfully imported all my US SNES games. all are correctly now north america in LB. one error came the first game always seems to fail but a solo import of that game worked. interesting note i just imported all my EU games no issues all games was moved and imported. but the same error came "super baseball 2020" which isn't a EU game and wasn't in my folder. so this game gives an error no matter the import apparentlyWink
wait..what?!? current beta allows me to say import my ROM folder all with varying regions and LB will sort out for me now?

LB already downloads the artwork for all available regions. @Jason maybe LaunchBox should now automatically use the corresponding artwork based on the region in order to get the full potential out of this new feature? Because as of now it seems completely random which region cover LaunchBox shows me. Region priorities for ROMs which are multi-region or the World region would be nice as well.

Hi everyone ! I'm not sure to understand the new LB "Region" feature. If I have a NES Roms Fullset for example and if I imports all files of this set, I can choose what region I want in my LB or all my roms are imported in differents folders and I can choose what game I want to play (Us or Japan...) ? In my 6.3 LB I have 2 Platforms : Super Famicom for my Japan games and Super NES for my US games. With 6.4 b1 Can I have one platform with every regions and play US games or Japan games whan I want ? Sorry for my bad English... Best whishes from France (Marseille)

CriticalCid said LB already downloads the artwork for all available regions. @Jason maybe LaunchBox should now automatically use the corresponding artwork based on the region in order to get the full potential out of this new feature? Because as of now it seems completely random which region cover LaunchBox shows me. Region priorities for ROMs which are multi-region or the World region would be nice as well.
Like a selection 'What region would you like to scrape?' I've also been in the start of updating the DB. Just waiting to get them approved

CriticalCid said LB already downloads the artwork for all available regions. @Jason maybe LaunchBox should now automatically use the corresponding artwork based on the region in order to get the full potential out of this new feature? Because as of now it seems completely random which region cover LaunchBox shows me. Region priorities for ROMs which are multi-region or the World region would be nice as well.
Agreed, Cid. We should definitely do that.

Gius3ppe said Hi everyone ! I'm not sure to understand the new LB "Region" feature. If I have a NES Roms Fullset for example and if I imports all files of this set, I can choose what region I want in my LB or all my roms are imported in differents folders and I can choose what game I want to play (Us or Japan...) ? In my 6.3 LB I have 2 Platforms : Super Famicom for my Japan games and Super NES for my US games. With 6.4 b1 Can I have one platform with every regions and play US games or Japan games whan I want ? Sorry for my bad English... Best whishes from France (Marseille)
Hi @Gius3ppe, welcome. The only thing the new region feature does right now is populate the Region field on the games based on the region part of the file name. Then you're able to filter and arrange by the regions.

Jason Carr said This doesn't solve Martin's problem, though; I looked at the code and all I can figure is that the ROM paths are incorrect...nothing else seems to make sense. Let me know what shows up in the ROM path for those games, Martin.
Thanks for investigating @Jason Carr - I will look to replicate with an empty DB this morning.

On a separate note @Jason Carr - when deleting a platform (Tools... Manage platforms... Delete) this does NOT provide an option to delete the ROM files as per deleting a game. Personally I think it makes sense to add this option here as well for consistency. If you choose not to, I would advise changing the message to be clear that this will not happen, and to delete the games manually if this is what you want.

Jason Carr said This doesn't solve Martin's problem, though; I looked at the code and all I can figure is that the ROM paths are incorrect...nothing else seems to make sense. Let me know what shows up in the ROM path for those games, Martin.
Aargh - can't replicate and I cleared out my ROMS and reimported after this issue. Will cancel the BitBucket for now, and if it happens again will check all the details and then log how to replicate. Sorry for the distraction.

martinconroy said On a separate note @Jason Carr - when deleting a platform (Tools... Manage platforms... Delete) this does NOT provide an option to delete the ROM files as per deleting a game. Personally I think it makes sense to add this option here as well for consistency. If you choose not to, I would advise changing the message to be clear that this will not happen, and to delete the games manually if this is what you want.
I think this is a bad idea. Last thing you want is someone deleting an entire platform of games by accident. Just browse to that platforms rom folder in Windows Explorer and Right-click>delete.

imdavid555 said I think this is a bad idea. Last thing you want is someone deleting an entire platform of games by accident. Just browse to that platforms rom folder in Windows Explorer and Right-click>delete.
Agree that this may be the case, I just think that it may be that the message on the dialogue could be clarified or improved given the new option to delete ROMs elsewhere.

SentaiBrad - I'm referring to the actual ROM files. When deleting a platform, whilst you are told that games will be deleted there is NO prompt relating the deletion of the ROM files themselves, and no deletion takes place. I am of the opinion that you should either be asked if you want to delete the ROM files or (if not) advised that this will not delete the ROM files themselves and that there are other ways to do that. Personally I think you should be asked about deleting the files as well for the sake of consistency. Also, it's frustrating that when you do this all platform related media remains. Surely images etc relating to the games should also be deleted?

I totally agree with the above. I think everything related to a platform should be deleted and given a fresh, clean slate to work with when deleting platforms. Things tend to get a little messy and perhaps even a bit confusing when things are left behind. At very least a pop up box telling the user these things (ROM files, Images, Videos, etc.) will be left behind and have to be deleted manually.

Ah, I see you meant the files. Yea potentially, but the more dialogue and popups we make the more confusing it can be. If you are removing everything already just delete the LB entries and then the games. Most of the time users are not getting rid of ALL of their roms though, I honestly don't see that being the case most of the time, and even if it is it's super easy to just delete your rom folder. The reason why Media is not removed, is because of downloading. We do have lots of users who have slow internet, bandwidth caps, or can't afford EmuMovies premium and have a daily bandwidth cap from them. Removing these manually is also very easy, but there is also an image clean up option in LaunchBox already too. We need to expand this to video, music and manuals as well at some point, but the option does exist. If a user just wants to re-import games for testing, then as long as the platform name stays the same all their media still exists. The import goes way way faster if you don't need to download media, and I've even done this myself a few times. Once you've re-imported you can use the clean up option to have LB remove any excess art that is no longer in use too.