LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

Jason Carr in regards to the video playing in the background, was there a specific emulator that was being used? I noticed that videos were playing in the background for Project64 and ended up removing my video snaps for the time being. However, I never reported that as it looks to be a result of how P64 opens to full screen mode and not a bug in launchbox/bigbox.

SentaiBrad said With these quick updates we're kind of taking the Philosophy from Kodi. Any release that ends in .0 is a feature release with some bug fixes, a .1, .2 or .3 release are bug fix releases almost entirely. It's kind of comforting that, even with Kodi as big as they are, no matter how many Beta's or RC's they do most bugs still get found after the official release, so in that sense are kind of adopting it so that these releases make it to everyone. It's surprising and understandable why most users don't update to Beta's. Also Cid! LOL I love that image. Yea Derek, a good bad thing. xD
You should use semantic versioning, it's pretty standard and gives the user some context about how much has changed in the new version: Given a version number MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH, increment the: MAJOR version when you make incompatible API changes, MINOR version when you add functionality in a backwards-compatible manner, and PATCH version when you make backwards-compatible bug fixes. Additional labels for pre-release and build metadata are available as extensions to the MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH format. http://semver.org/ The current version would be 6.0.2 in this scheme

Jason Carr said Hey all, I have gotten one report that VLC video playback in Big Box is still playing in the background occasionally. If anyone is still seeing this in 6.2 and has any insight into when it happens or what might cause it, it'd be great to get your feedback. Thanks guys. :)
That one appeared and disappeared for me between one of the .x beta fixes. It hasn't popped up again.

Wanted to add a general suggestion from my moderation experiences elsewhere. Hyperspin is Hyperspin. It's over there and LaunchBox is over here. It's natural for people who have had bad experiences with one or the other to indulge in kvetching (and occasional bitching). We do that. It's human. That's why on said 'other forums' we have a standing policy that users leave external grievances at the door (and warn and ban on that since it's a larger fan community). Deal with your stuff where it needs to be dealt with. Not here. I'd recommend the same general policy here. The community is a lot more polite and familiar and has a good burgeoning culture so instead of formal rules and moderation, maybe gently but firmly steering discussion away from cross-community sniping would help maintain that expectation.

Bedwyr, Given that the Hyperspin community has been super friendly and even provided Jason with the API to share all their artwork with Launchbox for free and the RocketLauncher team is working to create a plungin for Launchbox, again for free , I would say it would be really insulting to everyone making the cross over or even those of us working with both front ends to be told to take a hike. Same goes for Emumovies which is essentially the same community as Hyperspin. You cant have all our art work and enjoy the fruits of our labour and then tell us to stay over there. At this point in time, there will be a lot of crossover and a lot of people going back and forth. That's life!

Styphelus said Bedwyr, Given that the Hyperspin community has been super friendly and even provided Jason with the API to share all their artwork with Launchbox for free and the RocketLauncher team is working to create a plungin for Launchbox, again for free , I would say it would be really insulting to everyone making the cross over or even those of us working with both front ends to be told to take a hike. Same goes for Emumovies which is essentially the same community as Hyperspin. You cant have all our art work and enjoy the fruits of our labour and then tell us to stay over there. At this point in time, there will be a lot of crossover and a lot of people going back and forth. That's life!
Don't make inferences from things I didn't say. I don't suggest barring cross-discussion. I suggest barring cross-discussion of problems that should be dealt with elsewhere. Let me quote our policy directly if it helps:
Do not bring problems or flame wars from other message boards or webpages to this one, or personal issues from any other source. You have a problem with someone, DO NOT bring it in here.
The idea is to prevent people from spreading problems and rumors, poisoning the local community. As communities get larger, this happens. So I recommend getting out ahead of it and saying simply "not welcome here". Of course general discussion of EmuMovies and Hyperspin is fine. But I would suggest that people who have big chips on their shoulders about other said places should deal with that elsewhere. edit: I should add that I detected nascent angst and conflict between the services and that prompted my comment. I also don't advocate making the moderation approach at my other site the policy here. As I said, the gist of the approach here seems to be gentle steering of the subject, for the most part, and that seems appropriate for the kind of community the owners want. Also, this discussion should maybe be broken out of the beta thread as a sidebar discussion.,

SentaiBrad said
CliveBarker said I just downloaded metadata for 426 games and I want to thank everyone contributing at the Games Database because it went flawless. Not a single game with incorrect metadata and even the special and enhanced editions were identified correctly. That wasn't possible just some months ago.
Yea once we got it started I backed off moderating the Database because it would take me forever and away from other things I needed to do, but I am proud of what we've put together. It's still not perfect, there are features still to be made, functionality with LB that needs to be in place, and there are still rules that need ironing out... but what we have is super promising.
Come back to us, Brad.... there's ALWAYS more moderating to be done....ALWAYS.... MUHAHAHAHAHAHA...... Seriously though, it never ends. Kind of great. Laugh

Zeromod said Jason Carr in regards to the video playing in the background, was there a specific emulator that was being used? I noticed that videos were playing in the background for Project64 and ended up removing my video snaps for the time being. However, I never reported that as it looks to be a result of how P64 opens to full screen mode and not a bug in launchbox/bigbox.
Very good point! I didn't even think about that so I will confirm what the actual issue is for anyone who reports it. Thank you for clarifying that @Zeromod. :)

Don't think I really need to step in too much here but I would hope that everyone here has good intentions and isn't out to create drama or alienate any particular people or products. We have had occasional issues in the past where people will diss on another product (whether it's a competitor or not), and that definitely isn't the kind of environment we want to create here. So I think that's what @Bedwyr was trying to say. We've also on very rare occurrences run into people who seem to have a negative outlook on everything in the world (sometimes LaunchBox, sometimes Hyperspin, sometimes people on the forum, and sometimes everything else), and in that case we have to be careful to quickly stop it before it starts grow and spread. I don't like rules and I don't like enforcing them, nor do I like encroaching on other people. So with that, everyone is welcome and encouraged to participate, and everyone is vital to community, including any and all perspectives. As problems arise we will take care of them, but we don't need to mandate what is or is not appropriate discussion for these forums, outside of eliminating excessive amounts of negativity.

I have some new information! Ok, tried a few more tests. - First I tried changing the Ultima VI video to another one (UN Squadron, Actraiser, and a few others). The error ("video not found"... thanks for the new error handling btw, it helps speed up testing) persisted. So that further indicates that the video itself isn't the problem. - Then I tried deleting the entry and manually re-adding it. Again the error persisted under the exact same conditions. - I made a mistake though. I accidentally left the platform name "Super Nintendo Entertainment System", the new default rather than the old one I have been using: "Super Nintendo (SNES)". This was unrelated to the problem, but was serendipitous. I kept the new platform entry and added another version of the game under the old platform name (same error). "Huh," I thought to myself. "I wonder what would happen if I added a game that I know works as a new entry under this new platform?" So I added Actraiser under the new platform (Super Nintendo Entertainment System). So now I have the main platform with most of the games (Super Nintendo (SNES)) with a copy of Actraiser that works consistently and another platform (Super Nintendo Entertainment System) with two entries including Actraiser and Ultima VI. Guess what? The error affects both of them. Curious, I tried running both games in desktop mode. After exiting I clicked on both entries and the video did not load in the details sidebar (just a grey blank space). "Well how about that" I said to myself. I clicked on another platform and then clicked back. The videos resumed play. From my end, I think what I'm seeing is that games added after the initial folder search and entry may have some kind of linking problem to the video playback. Some condition keeps getting hit after entering and exiting the emulation environment and LB/BB temporarily loses track of the video. As an observation, I think I see that playback handling in LB must execute some kind of refresh (like when I clicked on a different platform and back) that BB isn't. Though maybe I should try navigating to a new platform after exiting the emulator and then coming back to see if the error persists or whether the video will load this time. Hope this helps. If nothing else, I'm eliminating potential causes.

Jason Carr, acknowledged. You know your community best, of course. Just as one part-time, occasional community manager to another, keep your eyes peeled for signs that the size and, shall we say, "boisterousness" is getting beyond your ability to handle it. It happens as businesses grow and it's bittersweet, but it is a thing. I'll stop now. :)

Though maybe I should try navigating to a new platform after exiting the emulator and then coming back to see if the error persists or whether the video will load this time.
Just tried it. The error persists no matter what navigation I do in BB. The videos will refresh and play if I exit and reenter BB. LB won't play the videos as long as I remain on the same platform page but will refresh and play if I click on another platform and then click back.

Jason Carr said everyone is welcome and encouraged to participate, and everyone is vital to community, including any and all perspectives.
Jason Carr said eliminating excessive amounts of negativity.
Jason Carr said There are jerks everywhere, that's for sure. We're just good at weeding them out and sending them packing.
SentaiBrad said I don't think we've banned anyone yet, but we're certianly not against it!
As a paying customer, I just want to point out that some of these comments not only seem to contradict, but also make it sound like you are, in a subtle and round-about way discouraging people from expressing critical opinions. Compared to other forums I have seen there are almost no "jerks" that I have seen here. I worked in customer service for 6 years and was pretty good at it... I can say that, when you choose to be a company and sell a product, part of what you have to deal with is negativity and complaints from customers. The reality is that you have to get used to it, and get good at it.

I don't think that reporting problems and saying you don't like how things are working ie performance issues are necessarily what they mean about negativity its more of the attitudes that people display when expressing their problems because they are some times straight up belligerent and rude beyond the point of tolerance and I believe that is the negativity which was being addressed also if I am recalling correctly that by sending him packing he was offered a refund to deal with his unhappiness. This isn't a huge corporation and at this time Jason can choose just not to deal with someones issues if they don't want to be amicable and try to work out the problem without being an asshole about it.

Complaints are one thing; unnecessary and excessive negativity is another, especially when a solution has been provided but is being ignored. I would like to mention though that this discussion actually did *not* stem from any particular recent events in this thread, so don't get me wrong there. But let's move on if we can and stop hijacking the beta testing thread (my fault just as much as anyone else's). :P

We're not controlling anyones opinions, or what they have to say about the product at all, but when we get personally attacked or someones claims are unfounded, or they become belidgerant (all happens more than you might think), then at a certain point we can choose to not deal with it. All business at some point have a line that they will stop a customer at, regardless of the job type. If someone has critical opinions, we love to hear them, but they can tell us their opnions in a less destrucive way. We want the criticisms, competition, people to ask questions, people to suggest things that can make LaunchBox better or when we take a step in the wrong direction. When Jason was working on the My Collection Social features, people told him (polietly) that what he was working on was not at all what they wanted and we listened. There is a fine line between passion and being a jerk (which has happened in the past, and even I have had to try and fix in myself). I can't speak for Jason, but at least we're not getting death threats, and that is SADDLY very common in the gaming industry. I feel horrible for Hello Games (they're making No Man's Sky) and the threats they've received because they delayed a game by 6 weeks. The internet, especially in annonimity can get toxic fast, we just want a place where people can enjoy coming to. If you think we're going to far about it Drybonz, then please tell us like you just did, I didn't get mad at it nor will Jason.