LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

New Beta looks great. Still having an issue with some of my platform Logos shrinking to very small. Ive tried removing the logos for these specific platforms and still having the same result (default logo very small). Great job Jason! Loving the direction LB is going!!!Laugh

Thank you all; @Nickjs my guess would be that it's because the clear logos have blank space in the images themselves. We'll be looking to tweak all those images going forward (most likely we'll pull the Hyperspin images). @wallmachine I bet I know what's going on. With every new release of Microsoft Windows, MS does a lot to improve the performance of WPF and related graphics on Windows. I've read a lot about it and there are huge differences between the performance of WPF (the graphics engine that Big Box uses) on Windows 7 vs. Windows 8 and Windows 10. So I can't promise anything, but I'm willing to bet that upgrading your OS would make a significant difference there. Otherwise, it seems like your system specs should be decent enough to run everything fairly well. Another potential culprit could be a slow hard drive, so an SSD upgrade might really help too. Alright guys, I am ready to put out the official release, so I'm going to jump on it and get it out ASAP tonight. Shout if you know of any deal breakers of course. :)

Jason Carr said Thank you all; @Nickjs my guess would be that it's because the clear logos have blank space in the images themselves. We'll be looking to tweak all those images going forward (most likely we'll pull the Hyperspin images).> .
In the original beta when the wheels were introduced the logos were the correct size. In my particular setup its the Neo Geo and the Neo Geo Color logos that have shrunk

Nickjs said
Jason Carr said Thank you all; @Nickjs my guess would be that it's because the clear logos have blank space in the images themselves. We'll be looking to tweak all those images going forward (most likely we'll pull the Hyperspin images).> .
In the original beta when the wheels were introduced the logos were the correct size. In my particular setup its the Neo Geo and the Neo Geo Color logos that have shrunk
Did you already try to refresh your image cache in the options menu?

Nickjs said
Do you mean the Neo Geo Pocket?

kmoney2315 said
Nickjs said
Did you already try to refresh your image cache in the options menu?
Yeah Ive refreshed multiple times. Ive even deleted the default Neo Geo platform image and its still stuck with the same really small clear logo. Yeah Brad, I meant the Neo Geo Pocket Color Laugh

Jason Carr said @wallmachine I bet I know what's going on. With every new release of Microsoft Windows, MS does a lot to improve the performance of WPF and related graphics on Windows. I've read a lot about it and there are huge differences between the performance of WPF (the graphics engine that Big Box uses) on Windows 7 vs. Windows 8 and Windows 10. So I can't promise anything, but I'm willing to bet that upgrading your OS would make a significant difference there. Otherwise, it seems like your system specs should be decent enough to run everything fairly well. Another potential culprit could be a slow hard drive, so an SSD upgrade might really help too.
WPF performance was a major focus in the .net 4.6 versions of the framework. Launchbox is obfuscated which can lead to decreased performance and false positives from antivirus software.

Well that's cool; sounds like we might get an automatic performance upgrade when we move to .NET 4.6 then. Unfortunately we were forced into the obfuscation when pirates and crackers started running wild with 5.7 and earlier versions, so unfortunately there's not much I can do about that. That said, I've run many performance tests and performance has not been negatively affected by the obfuscation in this case; I'm confident in that. However, yes, some of the anti-virus false positives may be partially due to the obfuscation. I recently changed some of the Big Box obfuscation to help prevent this for 6.0 though.

Yea, they spent a lot of time on the .net core and UWP stuff and finally got back to putting some work into WPF in the last few versions of .net. Not much you can do about the obfuscation stuff if you don't want it to be super simple to pirate it.

That is KILLER. And great to hear since WPF gets a bad rap so often lately. I still feel like I made the right decision using it for Big Box, especially since it's also going to enable us to have custom views and themes without a ton of additional effort.

It's the best choice currently IMO and how I was planning on doing it until I found LB. I was considering doing a plex like architecture rather than the kodi style one though. Even if you want to switch to some other UI framework down the road it's relatively easy with the MVVM pattern anyway. At least its not silverlight.

Hey all, just so everyone knows what's going on, I just put out 6.1 to fix a bug that was plaguing a small minority of people, only people who had not previously upgraded to 5.10. Basically, their Metadata.xml file was outdated and wasn't being immediately updated on installation, and so we were running into conflicts. The new metadata updates were designed to download from the LaunchBox Games Database, but we were mistakenly not updating the old file on startup if it was out of date from previous versions.

wallmachine Unfortunately there's only so much I can do to improve performance, especially with an operating system that's 7 years old and isn't optimized like more modern versions of Windows. If I knew how to improve the performance for you I certainly would, but like I said, I very much expect that Windows 7 is your issue. I've also put lots and lots of work into the latest version to improve performance as much as possible, and for the moment I'm not convinced there's a whole lot more I can do to make it much faster. That said, I'm always working on performance, so maybe I will find something sooner or later that will help, but it's hard to say. I'm still baffled about the loading time taking 30 seconds. Big Box loads in about 6 seconds on all four of my test machines with various i5 and i7 CPUs, and I have around the same number of games as you (6,095 to be exact). I'm very curious what the bottleneck might be, but it's really hard to tell without having access to the machine (and even then might be difficult to identify). It definitely seems like something isn't functioning up to par though with those numbers. I guess one thing to try might be to close out of all running processes on the machine (especially anti-virus and similar programs), and then run Big Box to see if another application might be significantly hurting the performance. Other than that, I'm at a loss.

hello, Could it be possible to re-add the ancient big box view (replaced with the "coverflow with details" view) where boxes are shown side by side . I really liked this view! (maybe I am the only one?) And by the way,could it be possible (in a future update?) also to range in big box,games by editor,publisher,year,genre like it is possible in LB? thanks very much. serge

You arent the only one. I for one am not interested in purchasing a copy of what looks to be turning into a mix of a modded Wii and Hyperspin. That view was the best one thus far in my opinion so I hope that the non flashy view crowd don't get overlooked. I bought this for simplicity and to get away from all of the flash of Hyperspin's over the top front end.

Congrats on the 6.1 official release. Everything is running very smooth and great added visuals as well. BigBox just keeps getting better and better all the time. I really love the direction it is going!!Smile