LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

Jazzphone said
knewlife said The plugin for rocketlauncher in published in RL forums somewhere? because the Dropbox link donr work eedit: FOUND IT :p
If you figure out how to get it working, please let us know!
Sure, gonna test it tonight or tomorrow

Testing from work :P ... I manage to get the plugin to work after some modifications... a little problem with getting the correct relative path to the game to get the right section of the xml. After that little fix is working for me... at least I got the Year in the Fade screen. Gonna test more tonight... is bleasby working on this in private? I should contact him in RL forums or just post this modification here?

Hey all, I apparently put that link out a little bit too early. I shouldn't have shared it that early, so forgive me for that. Bleasby was waiting on me to add a few things before putting the plugin out. I should have a new beta out before the end of the day that adds all the new image types from the LaunchBox Games Database to LaunchBox itself. It also renames some image folders in the process so fair warning that if you're concerned about that, you may want to back up your LaunchBox folder and/or your images folders. Beta should be out soon. :)

Jason Carr said Hey all, I apparently put that link out a little bit too early. I shouldn't have shared it that early, so forgive me for that. Bleasby was waiting on me to add a few things before putting the plugin out. I should have a new beta out before the end of the day that adds all the new image types from the LaunchBox Games Database to LaunchBox itself. It also renames some image folders in the process so fair warning that if you're concerned about that, you may want to back up your LaunchBox folder and/or your images folders. Beta should be out soon. :)
Great i gonna activate beta updates... Also i should backup the xml file. We gonna need to manual y move images or LB gonna take care of that?

knewlife said
Jason Carr said Hey all, I apparently put that link out a little bit too early. I shouldn't have shared it that early, so forgive me for that. Bleasby was waiting on me to add a few things before putting the plugin out. I should have a new beta out before the end of the day that adds all the new image types from the LaunchBox Games Database to LaunchBox itself. It also renames some image folders in the process so fair warning that if you're concerned about that, you may want to back up your LaunchBox folder and/or your images folders. Beta should be out soon. :)
Great i gonna activate beta updates... Also i should backup the xml file. We gonna need to manual y move images or LB gonna take care of that?
Jason will have to answer about the process, but your XML's do automatically get backed up in the LaunchBox folder as well, so if you forget to manually make a backup (but you still should anyways) a backup still exists.

Hi @knewlife, LaunchBox will do its best to rename the folders to be what they need to be on startup. However, it's not a perfect transition. For example, LaunchBox doesn't currently know whether an image is a "Box - Front" or an "Advertisement Flyer - Front" image, so they'll all end up as box front images. But most of those issues are minor. After loading up this next version, you can of course delete any images/folders that are badly classified if you'd like and then go re-download them easily enough. I'm about ready with the beta, so it should be up very shortly. I do want to remind people though to BACK YOUR STUFF UP BEFORE THIS BETA. I'm testing it over and over and doing my best to make sure nothing bad happens, but since we are doing a tad bit of image reorganization, I want to repeat this just in case. Do keep in mind that only image folders inside the LaunchBox folder will be renamed/reorganized. If you've set custom folders for your platforms, they will not be renamed. The platform configuration will just be updated to point to your custom folder for "Box - Front" images, for example.

Okay, beta is out. This one would be good to test with new installations, existing installations, and everything in between. Again, please do backup your LaunchBox folder before updating to this beta. I've spent a few hours testing now but it's impossible for me to predict every scenario. :) If there's any confusion, this new beta reorganizes images into the many different types of images on the LaunchBox Games Database. Next we will add options in LaunchBox and Big Box to choose which types of images (and the priorities) to be used in the various parts of the interface. For example, switching between 3D boxes and flat boxes will be a simple option change. :)

Image folder transitioned over nicely with updating to the latest beta. IDK if anyone else has mentioned this or not, but I still can't jump letters to navigate my GameBoy Advance collection. That seems to be the only system I have setup that doesn't let me skip to the desired letter, it just hangs... Jason, will you be adding a "cartridge" folder in the image folder as well? I migrated over from HyperSpin and have a ton of cart art I'd like to use in LB\BB.

I just downloaded the new beta. I keep all of my box art,wheels and videos outside of the Launchbox folder. So now I have to go back into each platform and point to these folders again as by default with the new beta it pointed to the image folders inside of Launchbox. It's not that big of a deal but I was wondering if you had considered that scenario? Thankfully I don't have many platforms inside of LB yet so it should not take me to long.

Jason Carr said Okay, beta is out. This one would be good to test with new installations, existing installations, and everything in between. Again, please do backup your LaunchBox folder before updating to this beta. I've spent a few hours testing now but it's impossible for me to predict every scenario. :) If there's any confusion, this new beta reorganizes images into the many different types of images on the LaunchBox Games Database. Next we will add options in LaunchBox and Big Box to choose which types of images (and the priorities) to be used in the various parts of the interface. For example, switching between 3D boxes and flat boxes will be a simple option change. :)
Great thanks, will backup the wole folder, I have been using my 3d boxes as front images, but with this changes I can store 3d boxes where they belong :D super happy man, hope count with the money to use BB soon ;)

Riffman81 said Image folder transitioned over nicely with updating to the latest beta. IDK if anyone else has mentioned this or not, but I still can't jump letters to navigate my GameBoy Advance collection. That seems to be the only system I have setup that doesn't let me skip to the desired letter, it just hangs... Jason, will you be adding a "cartridge" folder in the image folder as well? I migrated over from HyperSpin and have a ton of cart art I'd like to use in LB\BB.
We have a Cart / Disc category, I am unsure if it's in this update or not, but we have the category.

SentaiBrad said
Riffman81 said Image folder transitioned over nicely with updating to the latest beta. IDK if anyone else has mentioned this or not, but I still can't jump letters to navigate my GameBoy Advance collection. That seems to be the only system I have setup that doesn't let me skip to the desired letter, it just hangs... Jason, will you be adding a "cartridge" folder in the image folder as well? I migrated over from HyperSpin and have a ton of cart art I'd like to use in LB\BB.
We have a Cart / Disc category, I am unsure if it's in this update or not, but we have the category.
ok, great! Yeah, I'm not seeing it in this update but not a big deal. Good to know it's in the works :)

SentaiBrad said No it's there, just checked an image folder. Fanart - Cart - Back Fanart - Cart - Front
Are those folders created if you have EmuMovies support enabled? I have all my art/media backed up locally so I just pull from there and don't really download from EmuMovies unless new content is added.

Hey guys, great to hear about the successes. @Riffman81, I remember that now. I think you sent me your XML file already, so I'll look into it. If not, can you send it to jasondavidcarr@gmail.com? Thanks! LaunchBox does now have Cart - Front, Cart - Back, and Cart - 3D image types available. They should download from EmuMovies and/or the LaunchBox Games Database if they are available on the game during the import/update metadata processes. You know what, though; I may need to update the wizards for the imports in order to make them import those. I'll add that to my list. :) @kmoney2315, it should have kept *some* of your customized folders. For example, the folder for Box - Front should be set to your previously used folder for Front box art. Let me know if that's not the case. Unfortunately there's just too many assumptions involved if I tried to reorganize the folders outside of the LaunchBox folder. Not to mention if anyone was using the same folders for various different frontends, there could be some serious issues there. Thanks all, let me know if you run into any other issues. :)

Jason Carr said Hey guys, great to hear about the successes. @Riffman81, I remember that now. I think you sent me your XML file already, so I'll look into it. If not, can you send it to jasondavidcarr@gmail.com? Thanks! LaunchBox does now have Cart - Front, Cart - Back, and Cart - 3D image types available. They should download from EmuMovies and/or the LaunchBox Games Database if they are available on the game during the import/update metadata processes. You know what, though; I may need to update the wizards for the imports in order to make them import those. I'll add that to my list. :) @kmoney2315, it should have kept *some* of your customized folders. For example, the folder for Box - Front should be set to your previously used folder for Front box art. Let me know if that's not the case. Unfortunately there's just too many assumptions involved if I tried to reorganize the folders outside of the LaunchBox folder. Not to mention if anyone was using the same folders for various different frontends, there could be some serious issues there. Thanks all, let me know if you run into any other issues. :)
That must have been someone else, but yeah, I'll send over my XML. Also, as I said, I don't use EmuMovies when downloading as I have all of my art and other media (Video Snaps, Screenshots, etc) backed up locally. So I guess that's why I don't have the folders showing in my setup? Is there a way to get LaunchBox\BigBox to populate those folders without having to manually add them? I don't mind manually adding the folders, was just wondering :)

Thanks @Riffman81. Yes, if your images folders were previously located outside of your LaunchBox folder, you'll probably have to manually select them. Unfortunately for users with customized folders I can't really guess at where all the new folders should go.

Jason Carr said @kmoney2315, it should have kept *some* of your customized folders. For example, the folder for Box - Front should be set to your previously used folder for Front box art. Let me know if that's not the case. Unfortunately there's just too many assumptions involved if I tried to reorganize the folders outside of the LaunchBox folder. Not to mention if anyone was using the same folders for various different frontends, there could be some serious issues there. Thanks all, let me know if you run into any other issues. :)
That must be what happened to me as i have all the images and vids stored in my HS media folder as I never transferred them over to LB to save on disk space. Even the front box images also stayed at the default LB image folders. Its worth it in the end anyway even if I have to re point LB To these folders again because of what you are planning for the images.?