LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

emko said it makes no sense why do many images named correct do not show up on launchbox yet when i redownload the same file it shows up? LEGO Harry Potter_ Years 5-7.jpg from before updateing to new folder location paths where Images\Nintendo Wii\Front\LEGO Harry Potter_ Years 5-7.jpg Images\Nintendo Wii\Box - Front/LEGO Harry Potter_ Years 5-7.jpg so i make launchbox grab the image from the database i get LEGO Harry Potter_ Years 5-7-01.jpg i delete it so i still have LEGO Harry Potter_ Years 5-7.jpg refresh images and its missing again what i have to do is delete the file and let launchbox download it but why? and why for random games only most worked correct. is launchbox storing image names in a local database or in the xml? and the image downloader does not understand i already have all the images, before this beta if i have the image the checkbox would be unchecked. it seems to only effect box - front, every other image type works fine at least i think they do.
Emko, we recently updated the Image system and all of the folders names will have probably changed, so now LaunchBox is looking in a new location. You have the image, but LaunchBox is no longer looking there anywhere. I'm not saying this is perfect, you posted an error code you had found so clearly we're not completely bug free, but the best solution is to either re-download all of your media (What I am doing and this what I suggest), or remove the images for that game, re-download for the effected games and let it be. If the navigation sounds aren't playing, have you removed the sounf effect files or turned off the sounds? Also, if you are in BigBox, the LaunchBox.xml is still in use, but it is odd that it errored you out in the middle of using BigBox, that is certainly not intended. So while the error code is technically correct, it should not have displayed for you and crashed. Jason will take a look at that in the morning.

yes i know the folder locations have changed like i said Images\Nintendo Wii\Box - Front\LEGO Harry Potter_ Years 5-7.jpg image already exists Launchbox does not want to use it instead i have to redownload the front image and it will create Images\Nintendo Wii\Box - Front\LEGO Harry Potter_ Years 5-7-01.jpg now it works but i have 2 images, trying to remove the extra one LEGO Harry Potter_ Years 5-7-01.jpg results in again no image showing in launchbox. Before this beta you could manually add images from other sources so i am 100% this is some bug I can delete the images launchbox refuses to use and redownload them then it works like this Images\Nintendo Wii\Box - Front/LEGO Harry Potter_ Years 5-7.jpg same exact image from before image system update i have to delete it and let launchbox re download the exact same file then it will show up or i can let it download again but it then i will have 2 exact same files. anyways it was only about 20-30 games i manually fixed them all so its not a problem but i dont know if it effects anything else in the image system. For the navigation sounds in the options screen no i didn't remove the sounds while i was using bigbox ? not understanding the question. Navigation sounds all work fine until i enter option screen then pressing up or down results in no sound effects pressing back button on remote does nothing and if you keep trying to exit out of the options screen big box eventually crashes.

I am not sure if this was introduced in the newest betas or not but I am trying to import Sega Model 2 into LB and put a checkmark in the Force MAME metadata box and it did not find any games. I even tried to trick it by importing the Sega Model 2 roms as Arcade platform then checked the Force MAME metadata box and it still did not find any games and yes all my files are named correctly.

kmoney2315 said I am not sure if this was introduced in the newest betas or not but I am trying to import Sega Model 2 into LB and put a checkmark in the Force MAME metadata box and it did not find any games. I even tried to trick it by importing the Sega Model 2 roms as Arcade platform then checked the Force MAME metadata box and it still did not find any games and yes all my files are named correctly.
Yea that's currently a bug right now.

emko said BigBox going into options the navigation sounds stop playing and i can't back out of the options screen i keep trying until i get this error
System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\emko\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.xml' because it is being used by another process. at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite, Boolean checkHost) at (<>c__DisplayClass81_0 ) at LaunchBox.Data.DataManager.<>c__DisplayClass81_0.<Save>b__0() at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
the i checked the xml file is not open with anything and launchbox is closed. i tried again and get this error
System.Threading.ThreadStateException: Thread is running or terminated; it cannot restart. at System.Threading.Thread.StartInternal(IPrincipal principal, StackCrawlMark& stackMark) at System.Threading.Thread.Start() at (DataManager , Boolean , String ) at LaunchBox.Data.DataManager.Save(Boolean wait, String destinationPath) at BigBox.App.<>c.<BackgroundSave>b__21_0() at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
I don't have an error, but I'm getting similar behavior on the same version. It hasn't happened consistently which is unfortunate. For me this happens when changing something in the options (in the latest case I changed the animation from 'box' to 'flip'). The program is responding to up-down navigation but not any other button presses. Also the last entry currently displaying is "mouse". "Exit" seems to have disappeared. I'll have to Alt-F4 BB to get out of it. Edit: Oog. Does not respond to Alt-F4. I have to kill the process from Task Manager. That's a pretty hard crash. Again, no error and it's not a complete freeze. Edit edit: Hmm. The program terminates neat as you please in the Task Manager. Usually misbehaving programs like that don't close out so easily. Might be another clue as to the memory state.

not sure if this has been mentioned, when rescanning a game library using clrl a and downloading metadata and images, when using (yes but do not replace any exisiting fields) option, launchbox redownloads all artwork and videos overwriting what is already there, not just the missing Fields say videos, even when the catalog has been re downloaded, updating it again causes it re download.

New beta is out. I've fixed the issue where downloading images and metadata was downloading duplicates and ignoring your preferences not to update existing data. I'm also hoping that the issues with backing out of the Options menu are fixed as well. @shinra358, @emko, @Bedwyr, can you guys test this and let me know? :)

Jason Carr said New beta is out. I've fixed the issue where downloading images and metadata was downloading duplicates and ignoring your preferences not to update existing data. I'm also hoping that the issues with backing out of the Options menu are fixed as well. @shinra358, @emko, @Bedwyr, can you guys test this and let me know? :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cELre3NaAIU&feature=youtu.be nah, still there unfortunately

shinra358 said
Jason Carr said New beta is out. I've fixed the issue where downloading images and metadata was downloading duplicates and ignoring your preferences not to update existing data. I'm also hoping that the issues with backing out of the Options menu are fixed as well. @shinra358, @emko, @Bedwyr, can you guys test this and let me know? :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cELre3NaAIU&feature=youtu.be nah, still there unfortunately
Had that prob just a moment ago... For a quick fix in the meantime the escape key on the keyboard works better than the the ps4's 'o button' for some reason... atleast for me. So it must be a problem with the controller itself not a problem with loading the next screen. Smile

Came to report the issue in backing out of the options menu myself. This is after the latest beta I've just updated a few minutes ago. Let me know if there is anything I can do to assist. I'm using a standard xbox one wireless controller (non elite) and it works with the exception of that one menu area. I can't use my mapped back button, and I can map it again in that section with no issue. I also noticed that when I enable controller champion with my hotkeys on my gamepad, it enables the app but the mapped keys I used to close BigBox do not respond as well. However, if I do NOT go into that option screen, everything seems fine. On perhaps a more positive note, thanks for bringing back the flat box view, not a big wheel fan and didn't like Coverflow. However I loved the flat scrolling box art at the top with video playback below etc. And I'm stoked for the xaml editing. Good work all.

Alright, another new beta is out! I was able to replicate the bug with closing out of the options with the controller, and I have that fixed, at least on my end. Also, some great improvements for the custom views/theming. I've added decent error handling to the XAML parsing, so you should have a good idea as to what is wrong if you run into an error. A message box will pop up telling you the line number that is causing the error, and Big Box will just show the default view afterwards instead of the custom view. So no more crashing or force closing during experimentation. :) Also, per @shinra358's request, I have added several new properties to the CoverFlow controls. I've updated the Default views to demonstrate the new properties, but here is an example:
&lt;coverFlow:FlowControl x:Name="FlowControl" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" VerticalAlignment="Stretch" Grid.Column="0" CoverFactory="{Binding CoverFactory}" ImageType="ClearLogo" CurveAmount="4.5" CameraZPosition="3.0" VisibleCount="14" PageSize="6" /&gt;
The new properties are: - CurveAmount - Specifies the amount of curve for the wheel; the higher the number, the greater the curve - CameraZPosition - Specifies how "zoomed in" the camera is to the wheel; the lower the number, the closer the camera, and the larger the items - VisibleCount - Specifies how many items to display in the view; you should specify enough items to wrap around and fill the view - PageSize - Specifies how many items to jump for previous and next page Then I've also added support for clear logo images anywhere in the games views, also per shinra's request. To add a clear logo image anywhere in those views (any view that ends with "GamesView.xaml"), add a line like this:
&lt;Image Source="{Binding ClearLogo}" /&gt;
Let me know what else anyone needs and hopefully I can add it tomorrow before my trip. :)