LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

Any new features in this beta to play around with or just under-the-hood stuff? For the coverflow view, think you can put the game title on the left (left aligned) and the platform logo on the right (right aligned) so that its easier to see where you are in the list when quick scrolling? (opposite of how it is now) Also, for the details + coverflow view, I could care less about the developer, publisher, status, etc of the rom. I liked it better when it had the game summary there (that's what I'm looking for when deciding if i want to play the game or not). Just my opinoin.

Thanks for the new version, Jason. All my image folders are set outside of Launchbox and this latest beta seem to have changed things (probably in the xml as well?). The funny part is that half of the legacy way is still working (green lines). The other half is not being translated to the new format as it seems. I can surely change this in my program to match what you are doing with the xml now, but I'm curious why half of those paths do work still, but not the other half! Thanks, -Kris imagefolders.jpg

i just updated and it seems to have organised the images out problems . but a question under Super Nintendo i have >Fanart - Background where most images is but there also another folder inside called Background. is the second folder leftovers ?

Bigbox requires kb/m input to update. Not only that, updating doesn't autoclose the instance anymore, you have to do it manually. Then if you deny directx installs, it gives an error and then you have to close 2 more instances of msgboxes. Why can't bigbox update without the use of desktop dialogue boxes? If you have beta update option on and there is a main release too, it forces you to download both instead of just the newer beta version. Why can't updating be seemless without having to use kb/m?

Not sure if the soft keyboard in windows 10 works with XInput / DInput but this is from the .net preview blog....
Windows Presentation Foundation Soft Keyboard Support Soft Keyboard support enables automatic invocation and dismissal of the touch keyboard in WPF applications without disabling WPF stylus/touch support on Windows 10. Prior to 4.6.2, WPF applications do not implicitly support the invocation or dismissal of the touch keyboard without disabling WPF stylus/touch support. This is due to a change in the way the touch keyboard tracks focus in applications starting in Windows 8. softkey

I use 3D boxes for everything in LaunchBox and BigBox. Now with the new beta, I have moved them all into the proper category (from Box-Front to Box-3D). Now all all my CoverFlow box images are empty :( Can we add the option somewhere, that if Box-Front is empty to check Box-3D for cover image or check Box-3D before Box-front for cover images.

I run LB on a few tablets and if the keyboard could be integrated into the program that would be fantastic not that it would help from BB unless you could adapt a hold key and set up the key and another button to launch the On-Screen Keyboard and then make the keyboard be controlled by the controller (if that is possible). This article says it is possible with 3rd party assistance

On a different note the new artwork system has a few issues as it has multiple covers and there is no clear way to define which is to be used except by deleting the alt regions which I don't think that I want to do.

I was cleaning up my system drive today and found 4.6 gb of temp files from old updates in the Launchbox "updates" folder. Would it be possible to have Launchbox cleanup all but the last 1 or 2 (this was 45 old updates)? Thanks for considering.

I noticed that in the newest beta I cannot download fanart through the metadata and images bulk wizard. I erased all my fanart on a few platforms so I could start over fresh in case some new fanart had been added or changed in the database. I only put a check in the fanart box in the wizard and unchecked everything else and when the wizard had stopped parsing all the games in found no fanart in a few systems even though there is fanart for some of the games because I seen fanart on the database. You are able to get fanart through the edit game in LB for an individual game just not through the bulk wizard. I was able to get fanart a few days ago through the wizard before the newest beta.

kmoney2315 said I noticed that in the newest beta I cannot download fanart through the metadata and images bulk wizard. I erased all my fanart on a few platforms so I could start over fresh in case some new fanart had been added or changed in the database. I only put a check in the fanart box in the wizard and unchecked everything else and when the wizard had stopped parsing all the games in found no fanart in a few systems even though there is fanart for some of the games because I seen fanart on the database. You are able to get fanart through the edit game in LB for an individual game just not through the bulk wizard. I was able to get fanart a few days ago through the wizard before the newest beta.
I have the same problem with new beta version

This is why Jason asked you guys to make backup's first. This is still in Beta though, so we apoligize if things are not working exactly like they should quite yet. As per showing which images you want, a system will also be in place for you to choose the order in which you want your art shown, and help fill in gaps if you so desire.

BETA REPORT :P : After updating to the beta I found that edit a game for a certain platform will create all the new folders inside LB\images folder. A few images that before update resides inside Fanart/snap or Fanart/Title will end up in the new Fanart - Background folder, but most of the will be keep in Fanart - Background/snap and Fanart - Background/titile. Similar thing happens with the Screenshot > Screenshot - Gameplay transition, files in subfolders are moved parcially sometimes. Don't know wich will be the expected behabiour but I found this extrange. After moving manually various files, all is in is place.

C:\Users\emko\LaunchBox\Images\Nintendo GameCube\Cart - Front should that be Images\Nintendo GameCube\Cart - Front so that if i take my XML data to a my HTPC it wont be looking for images in a users folder instead it will look inside of Launchbox folder i thought this was default but after i update to this beta most of my paths changed to this.
<PlatformFolder> <MediaType>Video</MediaType> <FolderPath>Videos\Sony Playstation</FolderPath> <Platform>Sony Playstation</Platform> </PlatformFolder> <PlatformFolder> <MediaType>Manual</MediaType> <FolderPath>Manuals\Sony Playstation</FolderPath> <Platform>Sony Playstation</Platform> </PlatformFolder> <PlatformFolder> <MediaType>Music</MediaType> <FolderPath>Music\Sony Playstation</FolderPath> <Platform>Sony Playstation</Platform> </PlatformFolder>
other media paths are correct like videos/music/manuals just the image paths got changed Thanks

Thanks all, I will be focusing today on cleaning up the new image organization stuff. I just wrapped up the first stage of custom themes/views so that will be coming out as well in the next beta. I want to fix some of these issues though today before putting the beta out. :)

Jason Carr said Thanks all, I will be focusing today on cleaning up the new image organization stuff. I just wrapped up the first stage of custom themes/views so that will be coming out as well in the next beta. I want to fix some of these issues though today before putting the beta out. :)
cool, will the XAML source for the current themes/views be provided as templates?

Indeed! So tweaking will be relatively easy. After I get this beta out I will be putting together a very quick video demonstrating how to get started with the new themes. The video should be up and ready before the weekly email goes out tomorrow.

Alright, the new beta is out! The various issues everyone was having with the new images system should be fixed, as far as I know anyways. ;) There were several issues that I did identify and fix: - Manual downloads from the LaunchBox Games Database (as in downloading images through Add/Edit) were not working properly; in many cases no images were actually being downloaded from the LaunchBox Games Database (whoops). - The import and metadata update wizards were not prompting for all image types and therefore not allowing you to download all the new image types. The wizards have now been updated to fix this. For imports and metadata updates, you should now have all images accessible to you. - When migrating the images folders over, the previous version was not picking up the old paths for videos, manuals, music, steam banners, and banners. This has been fixed. However, people who have already completed the migration with the last beta will unfortunately not automatically have their folders updated to what they were before, because the migration process has already been run. If you did create a backup of your LaunchBox folder before upgrading to the last beta, you should be able to go back to the backup and then run the update, and these folders should migrate over properly. Otherwise, the only issue is that you may have to manually specify some folders in Manage Platforms if you've customized those folders (as most of you have already observed). Now I want to clarify what *should* be happening with the image migration. Obviously we've added many new image types, so if you've previously customized all of your image folders, more customization is definitely going to be required, and unfortunately there's little we can do about that. For example, the new Box - Front image type will take the folder path that was previously used for Front, because it makes sense, and that should automatically migrate. However, for new image types such as Cart - Front, they will default to the image path inside of the LaunchBox folder because this folder did not previously exist. Whew, this is a book, I know. Lastly, I added support for Regions for the images. We're not making full use of this yet (and you can't even change it in the Add/Edit screen yet, that is coming), but for images that have region specified on the LaunchBox Games Database, you will notice that they download into a folder structure like this: LaunchBox\Images\Nintendo GameCube\Box - Front\North America\Super Mario Sunshine.jpg I've added the region subfolder inside the type folder. These subfolders will be used now whenever a region is known on the image that is downloaded. More to come on the new custom views/themes in the next post.

Now onto custom views/themes for Big Box. There's actually much less to say on this, as it should be mostly straightforward. After starting up the latest beta, you should see a new folder in your LaunchBox folder called Themes. Inside this folder is a ReadMe.txt file and a folder named Default. To create a new theme, simply copy this Default folder and rename it to the name of the theme that you would like to create. Then you can tweak all the files inside of your new theme folder. Big Box has a new option under General called Theme. These options map up to the folder names inside of the Themes folder. Do not modify the Default theme folder as your changes will simply be overwritten on startup. I'll go through some of this in the video, but do keep in mind that this is only step 1 with the new themes/custom views. If you're a developer you can already do some crazy cool stuff (you could even build your own control for completely new functionality and put it in the XAML files). However, we will be allowing people to easily get access to controls, game data, etc. in the future with a plugin system of sorts. So that is step 2. Would love to hear feedback on the custom views/themes from anyone who is experimenting with it. It should be really interesting and awesome to see what everyone can create. Keep in mind that there is no doubt; while experimenting with the themes you *will* break Big Box. So be patient when working through things because XAML can be picky at times. You will need to know how to force close Big Box while you experiment. We'll be working to put in some better error handling for improper XAML code in the future. :)

WOW Amazing Work Jason. 2 questions I will probably delete my images and re-download everything. if I deleted the image folders does LaunchBox create those again? " Secondly will custom themes when up and running fully. be shared in a post dedicated to it. or downloaded through LB like Kodi.