LaunchBox Community Forums

Resolved - Is emu movies worth it? - Informational

reddingmyst

Hi I am really unsure about emu movies Having videos on my front end is very apealing and no doubt on big box will look awesome I'm just not too sure about the subscription etc Anyone use it that would like to let me know there thoughts or advice Many thanks Also being from England that shouldn't stop me getting a subscription if I chose to will it ?

Yes!Laugh but i would recommend getting all your games in order, then buying the cheapest option and then scanning everything. no need for a year long subscriptionWink then for later clean up or new systems buy the cheapest again.

I have the lifetime membership even though I probably could have gotten away with something cheaper. Originally I thought that I wouldn't want the videos for space reasons and just general lack of interest in them but then I saw how they looked in BigBox when I grabbed a few videos from somewhere I decided (ok it was more of an uncontrollable impulse) that I wanted to have them for my entire library. This was before Jason added the videos to LB so when that happened I got even more value for them. So if you want your setup to pop and just have more visual appeal in my opinion the videos are a must have.

Well, currently they're the only place with an API that is letting us tap in and download video from our application. This could change in the future, someone else comes along or what not but if you want Video maybe grabbing the cheapest option so you don't have a cap, etc would be worthwhile? However, a Lifetime isn't all that much considering, and if you end up buying the cheapest option a few times when updates to the video come out then at a certain point it would have just been cheaper to get the Lifetime membership really. You could go through YouTube and find Commercials, there are websites dedicated to it, and you just need to name the video the name of the game and plop them in the correct video -> system folder. If you want short gameplay clips you'd probably be able to find them on YouTube, some other sites, but you'll obviously need to do all the leg work. Everything you want is probably already out there, it's a question of how much time do you want to spend or would you rather spend a bit of money and free up a lot of time?

• 3 weeks later...

Emumovies is definitely worth it! Also for whatever reason, not a lot of people know that if you are active on the Emumovies forum, you receive a nice discount. Here is the Tier list:

Basic Members 384kb/s bandwidth cap 1 Gigabyte data transfer per day Basic Access to Download Service Utility (Artwork Only, 250mb/day cap)

Advanced Members (20+ forum posts) 512kb/s bandwidth cap 2 Gigabytes data transfer per day Basic Access to Download Service Utility (Artwork Only, 250mb/day cap) Donation Discount - 25% off of Lifetime Supporter donation tier

Awesome Members (50+ forum posts) 512kb/s bandwidth cap 3 Gigabytes data transfer per day Basic Access to Download Service (Artwork Only, 250mb/day cap) Donation Discount - 50% off of Lifetime Supporter donation tier

Supporting Members / Lifetime Members (Donated to the Site) Download unlimited files per day No bandwidth cap No transfer cap Full Access to F.T.P. File Server Full Access to Download Service (Artwork and Videos) Access to 480p Video Content Content Contributors / Developers / Elite Members Download unlimited files per day No bandwidth cap No transfer cap Full Access to F.T.P. File Server Full Access to Download Service (Artwork and Videos) Access to 480p Video Content

You can read about it here in the memebr classes area: http://emumovies.com/forums/topic/10283-emumovies-member-classes-2016/ . Keep in mind you can also just slowly download 240p standard quality videos over time for free.

Edited by imdavid555
Adjust spacing
  • Like 1

Definitely worth it. You could get away with an insane amount of media for cheap too, but I support the site with the lifetime membership. Been over there for years, and I've seen the amount of work they do. It is definitely not a flashy site with no content. Quite the opposite. Its got too much content haha. Plus, the dev is a cool character. Now if we could just get some DOS boxes. sigh.

• 2 months later...

Yes. I have a lifetime subscription. If you want videos, manuals and artwork that's the place to go. That is, if you have thousands of games like I do. If you only have a few you can download them manually. Depends on your setup but in either case, I would highly recommend it.

• Like 1

Yeah. I was cleaning up a set of DOS boxes for a Hyperspin project but then I found Launchbox and everything got derailed. A lot of them came from Mobygames but they are all in terrible shape and require a lot of work to look good.

If you're looking for DOS clear logos, go to the Hyperspin downloads section. There's a set of 1800 clear logos there.. The boxes were part of that same project but are nowhere close to being done.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about emumovies and I figured it would be best to post it here instead of in a new topic.

Can anyone tell me if the boxart images on emumovies are better / higher quality than the ones in the launchbox games database? 

I already have a lifetime membership to emumovies so the cost is not an issue, I'm new to launchbox and was trying to figure out which service to use to get my media from. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

3 minutes ago, Special T said:

I have a question about emumovies and I figured it would be best to post it here instead of in a new topic.

Can anyone tell me if the boxart images on emumovies are better / higher quality than the ones in the launchbox games database? 

I already have a lifetime membership to emumovies so the cost is not an issue, I'm new to launchbox and was trying to figure out which service to use to get my media from. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

Sometimes we have better box art, sometimes they do, if the image is roughly the same. I just get everything from both, but I mostly use EmuMovies for Video, Music and Manuals. I just download everything for every game so that way I know that I have everything I can get at that time.

Thanks for the quick response. 

So if I understand you correctly, I can select both emumovies & launchbox games database in the import process and it will download both versions of the box art and then I can manually compare them and keep the better image. Is that correct?

No, I just download both. If one of us has better quality art, it's usually a marginal difference. There is a check box to prefer the LBGDB or EmuMovies so that way it will choose what art to display, but you don't choose anything besides the media categories during import. You can later, go through the image folder and delete what you don't want or edit a game and remove what you don't want (then use the image clean up tool afterwards), but that is after it's imported. I do both because I want everything possible. They may have games that we don't and vice versa, so I just grab everything and honestly don't worry about it. It's all fairly high quality from both sources, and our Database is completely open for anyone to edit, so things are getting better daily on that front.

• 7 months later...
On 17/04/2017 at 7:44 PM, rexryan said:

Emumovies should always be supported. Circo has done nothing but great things for this hobby..Just my opinion.

This is true. I have done the old routine of sifting through YouTube, downloading PSP gameplay and trailer videos mainly (Not many PSP were on EmuMovies around 2013), and then editing out the intro etc so that I just get 30 seconds of gameplay and as you or others may know.......it is the most mind numbingly boring thing ever. I think I did about 500. I just wanted to be somewhere else.

So yeah, I can really appreciate what those guys do with those video's on EmuMovies.

Edited by JamesBond@ge

On 5/19/2016 at 9:19 AM, reddingmyst said:

Also being from England that shouldn't stop me getting a subscription if I chose to will it ?

Im from England and im a lifetime member of emumovies just use paypal to buy your subscription. I got my membership using a discount code that came with launchbox premium it gets you about 20% off the price.

• Like 1