LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing - 6.8+

Jason Carr

2 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

What does this mean exactly? What is the use scenario for it? How is it different from the %romfile% variable?

i don't think the game's "ID" is the %romfile%. it's the game's database ID. i suppose some people have asked for access to that and it got added.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ckp said:

i don't think the game's "ID" is the %romfile%. it's the game's database ID. i suppose some people have asked for access to that and it got added.

Exactly. It's just the random, internal game ID that LaunchBox uses, so it will have very little use for most people. The only reason it was implemented is because it was requested on the live stream and literally only took two minutes to add.

I just found what seems like a bug in LB if you download stuff for Arcade game and you get multiple clear logos it will make one of those a box front and that will get preference over your Arcade Flyers unless you change your image priority but why is it downloading 2 clear logos in the 1st place.

20 minutes ago, ckp said:

I mean I assumed it wasn't the same thing, that's why I asked what the difference was haha. I didn't know it was for the DB ID though. I get that now.

13 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Exactly. It's just the random, internal game ID that LaunchBox uses, so it will have very little use for most people. The only reason it was implemented is because it was requested on the live stream and literally only took two minutes to add.

Okay. Fair enough. I just have no idea what this is going to be used for :P

If it's this easy to implement something like this could you add one for %rompath% which would be identical to %romfile% except that it's injecting just the path to the rom and not including the rom file itself? This has some specific uses for simplifying Steem (Atari ST) and MESS (X68000) importing where you have to specify multiple disks to insert via command-line parameters.

28 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

I just found what seems like a bug in LB if you download stuff for Arcade game and you get multiple clear logos it will make one of those a box front and that will get preference over your Arcade Flyers unless you change your image priority but why is it downloading 2 clear logos in the 1st place.

i think i just hit this too when i replaced my mame platform with my new killer no filler rom set. i have tons of clear logo games in LB now instead of my former gameplay screenshot. so now i'm having to go one by one in each game to remove the duplicate clear logo, click search database to get the arcade game ID'd, click the download button to choose gameplay screenshot and download. it's killing me!

Edit: thread i started the other day about this:

Edited by ckp

in my LB images/mame/screenshot - gameplay folder i see a bunch of actual screenshot file names that got changed from the normal game like name to something like 1942.13dd3890-d49e-47e8-b2d9-7d3731f9c8ed-01  with weird long string appended to the end of the name. so i think those are the ones i lost screenshots for in LB

weird, for one of the games that is showing clear logo instead of gameplay screenshot, i see it does have a gameplay screenshot in the mame/screenshot - gameplay folder so i drag and dropped it into the edit game images part and it added it as "box - front"?? don't get what's going on with images here.

New beta is out guys; this may possibly address the issues that some people have been seeing with Demul and CCS64. If anyone can test, I'd appreciate it. Also the following:

- Improvement: CriticalCid has updated his amazing CriticalZone theme (included with Big Box) for better performance and two new games views!

- Improvement: Viking's 16x9 platform videos are now available to download using Tools > Download Platform Theme Videos in LaunchBox

- Improvement: Additional platform theme videos from Nyny77 and Viking are available to download using Tools > Download Platform Theme Videos

- Improvement: For platforms that are configured to use MAME files by default, the importers will now revert back to regular files if no MAME-style names are found

Planning on putting out the 7.6 official release later today. However, I'm going to look into @DOS76 and @ckp's issue above in the mean time.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

- Improvement: For platforms that are configured to use MAME files by default, the importers will now revert back to regular files if no MAME-style names are found

@Jason Carr , does this mean it might help my situation of not having mame game IDs and mass download of arcade gameplay screenshots for all my mame games that i haven't fixed yet one by one? oh please say yes...

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

I'm in the process of testing this, but maybe you can clear some things up @DOS76. Two clear logos are typically downloaded if one of them comes from EmuMovies, and the other comes from the LBGDB, and you select to download both. Have you checked where the files are located in your image folders? Do you really end up with a clear logo image in a box front folder?

someone in the support discord just reported a crash in BB:

Rogkun- Today at 8:50 AM

That worked, thank you. However, this was with an untampered install with the default theme. Might be something to look into at some point.

Just in case its needed: Running a 1060 Nvidia card, i7, and 16 gb of ram. Should be enough for less than 30 games (all validated and running fine, no crazy amount of art or anything)(edited)

Also, just had it crash for some reason when switching between games in Big Box. (using VLC settings and low-quality vids). It died mid transition between F-Zero and Earthbound. Unsure if this is a common issue or not.

6 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@DOS76 @ckp What games are you seeing that issue on? I just need some examples.

well i'm not having the 2 clear logo issue where one clear logo goes to box front. i'm just having an issue where LB seems to be ignoring most of my mame game gameplay screenshots until i edit each game one by one to pick an id for the game and download the gameplay screenshot.

tons of my games. i'm on the G's now , so, gun smoke, gunforce, hook, etc

Edit: i set LB to show image type = screenshots for mame and have gameplay screenshots as highest priority in settings for screenshots.

Edited by ckp

5 minutes ago, ckp said:

well i'm not having the 2 clear logo issue where one clear logo goes to box front. i'm just having an issue where LB seems to be ignoring most of my mame game gameplay screenshots until i edit each game one by one to pick an id for the game and download the gameplay screenshot.

tons of my games. i'm on the G's now , so, gun smoke, gunforce, hook, etc

So it's having an issue searching for and matching games in bulk mode. I'm wondering if maybe it's a culture issue since everything is working fine in my testing. Where are you located, @ckp?

Okay I'm getting totally different result from one PC to the next both running the same beta version of LB so I don't know what is going on. On the one it was making the duplicate clear logo a front box and on this machine it only downloads the one clear log. I don't know what's up with that.

1 minute ago, DOS76 said:

Okay I'm getting totally different result from one PC to the next both running the same beta version of LB so I don't know what is going on. On the one it was making the duplicate clear logo a front box and on this machine it only downloads the one clear log. I don't know what's up with that.

I haven't been able to replicate it either. Do the different machines have separate collections or are they the same synced collection?