LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing - 6.8+

Jason Carr

CityHunter has been updated to 1.7.1. All scrolling text cutoff should be gone completely and text has been reworked to look more unified across all views. Added the new font style Anita semi squared as an option in the views folder, Arcade is still the default. See readme for details. Thanks to @CriticalCid for helping me with the updates.

• Like 1

@Jason Carr

So I did my little test:

Installed a fresh version of LB onto a different PC (internal HDD; updated it 7.6)

Created a platform for SNES

Imported 10 SNES games into LB

Scraped only for music and videos from EmuMovies (no other art)

Booted up into BigBox and enable the prioritize background music over videos option

Went into the Game View and started scrolling, waiting about a half second on each game and....

Version 7.6

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

sad.png

I still can't get music to play either but I'm not receiving any error messages.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

@Jason Carr Can you fix the 

<transitions:TransitionPresenter TransitionSelector="{Binding BackgroundTransitionSelector}" Content="{Binding BackgroundView}" Height="{Binding ElementName=Canvas, Path=ActualHeight}" Width="{Binding ElementName=Canvas, Path=ActualWidth}" IsContentVideo="true" />

for the TextFiltersView.xaml as it is it only shows the Background Image but NOT the Background Video when Platform Background Video is ticked in bigbox Options, as this works fine in the TextGamesView.xaml but not the TextFiltersView.xaml

I have to post a video to show this but I keep losing focus when exiting emulators.

ALSO when you launch a game the video and description in BB rotate to screenshot/title mode and then the game and after exiting you don't have video anymore and have to select the next game and go back to get it again. Also with demul games and mostly non retroarch systems once i oad the game for a brief second before the game come sup I can still hear the background video playing. Happens in WMP or VLC selected.

@Jason Carr

I'd like to toss in a couple (hopefully) small requests: 

1. In the default theme would it be possible to have a game list view without box art or a screenshot? While I really like the other available themes I'd really like a view with just a list of games (no clear art logos so more of the list is visible), the blurb on the selected game in the lower-right, some metadata I find relevant (developer, release year, # of players, etc.) in the upper-right, and a full-screen background gameplay video. Basically, a full-screen video with just some non-excessively distracting metadata overlayed. There's a near-ideal view in the default theme, but the box and screenshot take up a huge center chunk of the screen which obfuscates the full-screen video.

2. Related to the above, an option to play the fullscreen video in its native aspect ratio would be great. I'm one of those types who prefers black bars on the sides of the screen over horizontally stretched and distorted images :-)

If this would be better served as a Bitbucket request or some other method I'd be happy to submit a request wherever you'd prefer. Thanks!

@Jason Carr

1. In the default theme would it be possible to have a game list view without box art or a screenshot? While I really like the other available themes I'd really like a view with just a list of games (no clear art logos so more of the list is visible), the blurb on the selected game in the lower-right, some metadata I find relevant (developer, release year, # of players, etc.) in the upper-right, and a full-screen background gameplay video. Basically, a full-screen video with just some non-excessively distracting metadata overlayed. There's a near-ideal view in the default theme, but the box and screenshot take up a huge center chunk of the screen which obfuscates the full-screen video.

2. Related to the above, an option to play the fullscreen video in its native aspect ratio would be great. I'm one of those types who prefers black bars on the sides of the screen over horizontally stretched and distorted images :-)

If this would be better served as a Bitbucket request or some other method I'd be happy to submit a request wherever you'd prefer. Thanks!

Not trying to be harsh, but why make requests to having the default theme changed when it's easily editable yourself? Jason has a lot on his plate and I don't think trivial changes to the default theme are justified when he's given us a way to edit and create themes.
XAML isn't that complicated, but if you still don't feel comfortable editing or creating a theme to your specific needs then how about making a request in the themes forum?
Again, I'm not trying to be a dick but these aren't the kind of changes that need focused on when the ability to edit themes already exists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, snarfo67 said:

@Jason Carr

I also find the default theme horrible (just my peesonal opinion) and custom theme freeze s lot... Check this: https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/2379/minimal-official-theme-for-low-resources

The default theme is actually my favorite since it's thisclose to having a view that's exactly what I want. If I had the time and desire to learn XAML I'd give it a couple tweaks, but I really do like it well enough as is aside from my suggestions above. I've never had performance issues since my htpc has pretty decent specs (GeForce 980, overclocked Skylake i7, 16gb RAM, SSD system drive, Windows 10 Pro x64, etc.), but I could definitely see that running on a lower-specced system could be problematic. For fun I tried running BB on an i3 Gigabyte Brix (8gb RAM, SSD, crappy Intel graphics) and it actually ran just fine.

11 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

I'm getting a pretty frequent crash when launching games in Launchbox. It's not happening in Big Box.

It appears to be VLC-related based on the error and does go away after switching the video engine to Windows.

Launchbox Crash.png

I haven't been able to use VLC EVER for this very reason and have always had to use WMP in LB only. I never got that crash in BB either, but got it frequently in LB when transitioning from LB to the full screen game. Your crash error looks exactly the same as the one I've reported.

I basically gave up on any chance to get it fixes months ago. Now, maybe there is some hope if someone else gets this.

as i'm launching each of my mame games to test each one out (upgraded to 182 roms), i'm getting these random popup errors every so often:

"Launchbox. A video error occurred: Windows Media Player encountered problem while playing the file".

I just click Ok on the dialog (luckily because i don't use a cabinet). then if I click on another game and back on the same game, I will not get an error and the game video plays in the sidebar just fine. 

i am running LB 7.6 and I have never hit this before now.

On 1/28/2017 at 11:58 PM, damageinc86 said:

I still can't make a filter for some reason.  The whole program freezes when I click the title dropdown, first option after the main title up top.

We're replacing the custom filters here shortly with the new playlists solution. It's not really freezing, just taking a long time to populate the drop down (sort of a Windows issue). It should work if you wait long enough, but of course we're going to be fixing that up soon.

Alright guys, new beta is out. Per the live stream this morning, Big Box now optionally remembers the last view used for each platform. We also started working on multiple ROMs per game, but I moved on from that temporarily to address bugs. Sans for bugs, multiple ROMs per game will be my focus for this week. You may notice that the additional apps dialog has been restructured a bit (also per the live stream). There are new fields on that screen that currently don't do anything, and the screen isn't complete yet, but the plan is to restructure additional apps with additional fields and such to support multiple ROMs per game.

With this beta, I'm hoping that the various focus issues surrounding Demul, etc. are fixed. I've reverted a few things that I'm guessing were causing the issue; I had changed some focus stuff to help make things more performant. Gonna look into the other bugs reported here next; let me know if this beta fixes anything you guys have been seeing.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

You may notice that the additional apps dialog has been restructured a bit (also per the live stream). There are new fields on that screen that currently don't do anything, and the screen isn't complete yet, but the plan is to restructure additional apps with additional fields and such to support multiple ROMs per game.

What do you mean by "multiple ROMs per game"? How is this different from adding another rom in additional apps and selecting "use emulator"?

I'm downloading now. I'll test out Demul and report back.

• Like 1

Thanks @Zombeaver. This is the feature that was the most voted for in the poll: "Many people like to include more than one version of a game in their collection, such as from various regions. This option would automatically group these games on import into a single game in your collection, and allow you to choose which one to play."