LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing - 6.8+

Jason Carr

Ah okay, gotcha.

Demul testing results:

Of 5 launches, 4 stopped the background music when starting but did not resume when quitting and in 1 case the music didn't stop after starting the game. Controls are still good.

CCS64 is still working correctly.

Did anything change with scrolling in the beta? I'm getting the hitching while scrolling through games that had disappeared in 7.6.

I think there is something wrong with region priority as well. Even though I have North America set at the top in options and have the check in that box, it is showing some Pal Covers instead on some games even though I have the North America Box Front.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kmoney said:

I think there is something wrong with region priority as well. Even though I have North America set at the top in options and have the check in that box, it is showing some Pal Covers instead on some games even though I have the North America Box Front.

it does this for me as well in Launchbox.  It would be nice to be able to only download a specific region if there are multiples.  Maybe a default region checkbox on the download window?

I think it randomly chooses one image for the boxart if you have multiples. I've cleaned the list out and then noticed more the next couple times.

Edited by Evil_Orko

I'm thinking the hitching I'm getting (it's happening while scrolling through the game boxes) has something to do with description scrolling - the games that don't have scrolling descriptions are smooth to switch to and the ones that do aren't. This went away when I updated to 7.6 but seems to have reappeared.

17 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

I'm thinking the hitching I'm getting (it's happening while scrolling through the game boxes) has something to do with description scrolling - the games that don't have scrolling descriptions are smooth to switch to and the ones that do aren't. This went away when I updated to 7.6 but seems to have reappeared.

Well, now I know exactly what's causing the hitching. It's the particular checks we're using to see if the application has focus (which I had changed to a more simple method, but then reverted thinking it had to do with the Demul issues).

17 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

Ah okay, gotcha.

Demul testing results:

Of 5 launches, 4 stopped the background music when starting but did not resume when quitting and in 1 case the music didn't stop after starting the game. Controls are still good.

CCS64 is still working correctly.

Did anything change with scrolling in the beta? I'm getting the hitching while scrolling through games that had disappeared in 7.6.

So is this a significant improvement over what was happening before, with stuff going on in the background while games are playing?

59 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

So is this a significant improvement over what was happening before, with stuff going on in the background while games are playing?

No, it seems to be the same. Of five launches, none worked correctly in terms of background music stopping/restarting (which is basically what I was seeing before). The control issues that I was having with Demul and CCS64 were fixed in the latest stable. The only noticeable difference between stable and the beta for me is worse scrolling performance.

I am seeing a weird issue and its only on one platform. The NEC PC Engine takes about 10 seconds to load while everything else is instant in BigBox. Will take a video of it later. I went through some steps to see if I could fix the issue. I removed and re added the platform, cleared out all of its metadata, added just a single game to the platform and it came back with the same issue. Very strange. 

2 hours ago, keltoigael said:

I am seeing a weird issue and its only on one platform. The NEC PC Engine takes about 10 seconds to load while everything else is instant in BigBox. Will take a video of it later. I went through some steps to see if I could fix the issue. I removed and re added the platform, cleared out all of its metadata, added just a single game to the platform and it came back with the same issue. Very strange. 

I have heard this a few times now, but of course I haven't been able to replicate it. So any details to help would be great. :)

New beta is out guys; I've been focusing on bugs since yesterday so far. Here are the changes:

- Improvement: The error reporting feature now does a better job of displaying more details about unexpected errors, and automatically reports the error to the LaunchBox development team

- Fixed: Image region prioritization was being ignored (looked over during performance optimizations)

- Fixed: Rare music error when closing LaunchBox

Per the error reporting, I figured we could use a better way to manage it all, and I need more data from people in general, so it now automatically posts the error to the server via an HTTP request any time you get the unexpected error dialog. I also did some tweaks to make sure all possible error information is included, which may possibly help with some of these hard to track bugs, like the plain NullReferenceException one that I haven't been able to find. Let me know if any of the same errors you've been getting are more detailed. They should also be automatically reported to me now as well.

@Zombeaver, I did also revert some of the focus changes to hopefully alleviate the hiccups. Let me know if this version fares any better.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I have heard this a few times now, but of course I haven't been able to replicate it. So any details to help would be great. :)

Could it be the way I have it named? Because I am a old Hyperspin guy we always called it NEC PC Engine instead of just PC engine. In your opinion what would be the biggest thing to hold up a platform from loading? I am open to trying something new. I have all the other NEC systems named NEC PC Engine CD, NEC SuperGrafx, NEC TurboGrafx-16 and NEC TurboGrafx-CD but dont have the issue.

Edited by keltoigael

Could it be the way I have it named? Because I am a old Hyperspin guy we always called it NEC PC Engine instead of just PC engine. In your opinion what would be the biggest thing to hold up a platform from loading? I am open to trying something new. I have all the other NEC systems named NEC PC Engine CD, NEC SuperGrafx, NEC TurboGrafx-16 and NEC TurboGrafx-CD but dont have the issue.

Probably not naming convention since I name my TurboGrafx/PC Engine platforms the same way you do, but I get a similar issue with my Hacks & Fan-Made category. It's like things have to "catch up" before the video plays or before inputs will register from the keyboard/controller. This is the only platform I get this with and it only happens on an initial fresh boot of Big Box. Once it's up and going, it won't happen until the next time.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Do you have platform banner images for these platforms? I had a similar issue before when I was using a Big Box view that supports banners, it was like BB needed to look for these missing images and while it was doing so it caused the application to freeze. It would resolve itself in a couple of seconds.

26 minutes ago, CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT said:

Probably not naming convention since I name my TurboGrafx/PC Engine platforms the same way you do, but I get a similar issue with my Hacks & Fan-Made category. It's like things have to "catch up" before the video plays or before inputs will register from the keyboard/controller. This is the only platform I get this with and it only happens on an initial fresh boot of Big Box. Once it's up and going, it won't happen until the next time.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

That is exactly what is going on with mine.

17 minutes ago, Charco said:

Do you have platform banner images for these platforms? I had a similar issue before when I was using a Big Box view that supports banners, it was like BB needed to look for these missing images and while it was doing so it caused the application to freeze. It would resolve itself in a couple of seconds.

Yeah I have all images.

Thanks @Zombeaver. This is the feature that was the most voted for in the poll: "Many people like to include more than one version of a game in their collection, such as from various regions. This option would automatically group these games on import into a single game in your collection, and allow you to choose which one to play."

How will this work for certain game titles with rom hacks?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk