LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing - 6.8+

Jason Carr

1 minute ago, shinra358 said:

Boooooooo lol.

Android version? Scapegoat ya say?

Windows version is never gonna be completed if you do that xD

I am in TOTAL agreement with this statement. Add Android, and PC LB/BB bug fixes and feature dev gets crippled. I hope full focus remains on PC LB/BB.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

Oh? I must have missed when that was implemented. Thanks.

I think it was added only in the last official release :)

And just for your FYI and to bring you up to speed, I think it was added to improve the new feature of the startup video for BB. And you'll also notice that a special command line of launchbox.exe will also be running when you run bigbox.exe as it is responsible for making sure to restore the taskbar after BB closes. If you disable the taskbar hiding (like i did), then launchbox.exe won't run alongside bigbox.exe. For me, I also have a background script that checks if LB or BB process is running and does certain things, so having both running at the same time was not good for me at all and I don't even notice anything different anyway by disabling the hide taskbar feature.

Edited by ckp

I too would have liked to have seen the pause, fade and bezel Rocketlauncher features on the list (bezels in particular) but I understand why you had a more focused list. Any chance that full WHD Load import support for the Amiga might be on the cards at some point? I know that Zombeaver put together that great video, but it would be great if the import process could be more straightforward for these games.

Keep up the great work Jason and co - this is my favourite and the most impressive piece of software I have used in years! :)

• Like 3

Gotcha, okay. Well, hopefully someone else will chime in and can help clarify. [emoji4]

It ends up steam being the issue. Is there any work around because I use steam big picture with launch box. I've tried to configure my controller in steam but it still controls big box while I'm in a game.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Something seems to be stealing focus from some emulators when launched via Big Box. CCS64 is an example. I can start a game, and the emulator/game will fill the screen but the controls are still tied to Big Box. If I hit a button I can hear the selection sound in Big Box and it starts another instance of the emulator. I'm just on 7.5 stable. I'm about to try the beta though.

EDIT: It's still in beta 7.6-1

EDIT 2: I thought that re-enabling the task bar might have fixed it because it didn't happen on the first try afterwards. But the behavior seems to be inconsistent:

1st try - working correctly - background music stops, controller works normally in-game, background music resumes after exiting the emulator
2nd try - working correctly - background music stops, controller works normally in-game, background music resumes after exiting the emulator
3rd try - working correctly - background music stops, controller works normally in-game, background music resumes after exiting the emulator
4th try - not working correctly - background music stops, controller is still tied to Big Box, background music resumes after exiting the emulator
5th try - not working correctly - background music stops, controller is still tied to Big Box, background music resumes after exiting the emulator
6th try - not working correctly - background music continues after launching the emulator, controller is still tied to Big Box

Very strange...

EDIT 3: It's a complete crapshoot between all three scenarios, more frequently not working than working.

7 hours ago, ckp said:

I am in TOTAL agreement with this statement. Add Android, and PC LB/BB bug fixes and feature dev gets crippled. I hope full focus remains on PC LB/BB.

I suspect that most people with an interest in paying for a frontend like LaunchBox use a PC for emulation right now. Android may be the future, maybe, but it would take many years to get anywhere near feature parity with the number of emulators and emulation quality available on the PC. Just my 2 cents.

Alright guys, new beta is out. Here's the new stuff in the change log:

- Improvement: Updated the list of Patreon producers in the About form! Thank you so very much to all contributors. :)

- Improvement: Added ActiveGame and ActivePlatform properties for use in Big Box custom themes that behave the same as SelectedGame and SelectedPlatform, but are delayed until an item is fully selected

- Improvement: Improved the performance of scrolling platform notes in Big Box

- Improvement: A new %gameid% variable can be used when launching emulators to help with game identification

- Improvement: New Dutch translation is available thanks to Bardock on the forums :)

@CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT I did find and fix a possible null reference bug with the music prioritization, so again, if we're lucky, it might just fix your issue. Let me know how this one fares.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

I'm using Windows 7 and haven't updated anything recently... Big Box is hiding my taskbar if I alt-tab. It comes back when I close Big Box.

LaunchBox shouldn't be hiding the taskbar at all, but Big Box should be if the setting is enabled.

1 hour ago, Zombeaver said:

Something seems to be stealing focus from some emulators when launched via Big Box. CCS64 is an example. I can start a game, and the emulator/game will fill the screen but the controls are still tied to Big Box. If I hit a button I can hear the selection sound in Big Box and it starts another instance of the emulator. I'm just on 7.5 stable. I'm about to try the beta though.

EDIT: It's still in beta 7.6-1

EDIT 2: I thought that re-enabling the task bar might have fixed it because it didn't happen on the first try afterwards. But the behavior seems to be inconsistent:

1st try - working correctly - background music stops, controller works normally in-game, background music resumes after exiting the emulator
2nd try - working correctly - background music stops, controller works normally in-game, background music resumes after exiting the emulator
3rd try - working correctly - background music stops, controller works normally in-game, background music resumes after exiting the emulator
4th try - not working correctly - background music stops, controller is still tied to Big Box, background music resumes after exiting the emulator
5th try - not working correctly - background music stops, controller is still tied to Big Box, background music resumes after exiting the emulator
6th try - not working correctly - background music continues after launching the emulator, controller is still tied to Big Box

Very strange...

EDIT 3: It's a complete crapshoot between all three scenarios, more frequently not working than working.

I keep hearing about similar things. But then I keep hearing that it's Steam's fault. Do you have Steam running? Check to make 100% sure Steam is closed all the way and let me know if you're still seeing this stuff, @Zombeaver. Steam is gonna be the death of us if they can't get this issue fixed.

11 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I keep hearing about similar things. But then I keep hearing that it's Steam's fault. Do you have Steam running? Check to make 100% sure Steam is closed all the way and let me know if you're still seeing this stuff, @Zombeaver. Steam is gonna be the death of us if they can't get this issue fixed.

I sometimes have steam running like a lot of users im sure. Im also on the betas from steam. I have never had issues with it stealing focus. There is a setting in steam for guide button to focus steam, obviously that should be off. 

15 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I normally do have Steam running, yes. I just tested though and it's still happening when Steam is completely closed.

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

I sometimes have steam running like a lot of users im sure. Im also on the betas from steam. I have never had issues with it stealing focus. There is a setting in steam for guide button to focus steam, obviously that should be off. 

It's not Steam that has focus though - it's Big Box. The controls are still tied to it after launching the emulator. Sometimes with background music stopping, sometimes not. It's like it's not recognizing that an emulator has launched/is running for some reason.

Just now, Zombeaver said:

It's not Steam that has focus though - it's Big Box. The controls are still tied to it after launching the emulator. Sometimes with background music stopping, sometimes not. It's like it's not recognizing that an emulator has launched/is running for some reason.

Ok, just waiting for beta to download, its taking a while. Gonna test. 

1 minute ago, Zombeaver said:

Yes, regardless, several users have reported that Steam is the cause for Big Box receiving controller input while games are running, and that exiting Steam fixed it.

Are you using Rocket Launcher?

3 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Are you using Rocket Launcher?

Nope.

Thus far CCS64 seems to be the only emulator exhibiting the issue for me. RA, FS-UAE, and DeSmuME all seem to be fine. CCS64 starts in a window and then maximizes - I thought that might be causing some issue but DeSmuME does the same thing and it seems to be okay.

1 minute ago, Zombeaver said:

Nope.

Thus far CCS64 seems to be the only emulator exhibiting the issue for me. RA, FS-UAE, and DeSmuME all seem to be fine. CCS64 starts in a window and then maximizes - I thought that might be causing some issue but DeSmuME does the same thing and it seems to be okay.

Gotcha. I'll probably have to look specifically at CCS64 to fix it. Thanks @Zombeaver.

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Gotcha. I'll probably have to look specifically at CCS64 to fix it. Thanks @Zombeaver.

Sure thing. If there's anything you need me to do or test, or anything you need to know about the settings I'm using, just let me know!

It's just odd. I've used CCS64 with Big Box for a while now and never had this problem. *shrug*