LaunchBox Community Forums

Who has the largest collection currently standing in Launchbox?

cleverest

1 hour ago, EmuNOOB said:

Ahh!! Who can forget the flashy loading screen when pressing play on your tape-recorder, And you had to find the exact spot before pressing play to load it. One should build an emulator with a virtual tape recorder just to see how long it will take a person to go completely insane.

Had countless of booklets to keep track of where to start the counter on the tape recorder to load a game, Piracy was well and thriving, And we all did it.

anyone use this for piracy on c64 ;) data_resize.thumb.jpg.4962b58ab2a5b414815b6b8d56670d87.jpg

Honestly I think it might be more hassle than it’s worth! Taking forever to download over FTP, and will probably break Launchbox when I try and import those numbers. Most are probably crappy one-off games anyway. But if you’re a completionist like me then maybe you want it lol! Happy to help once I have it, or you could approach Romfrosk for help too. 

4 hours ago, EmuNOOB said:

Ahh!! Who can forget the flashy loading screen when pressing play on your tape-recorder, And you had to find the exact spot before pressing play to load it. One should build an emulator with a virtual tape recorder just to see how long it will take a person to go completely insane.

If you use .tap files, you get the full tape loading experience... which I don't recommend to anyone lol

I absolutely love the C64, grew up with one, and still have a real one at my disposal... emulation is the way to go. As much as I love C64 games, the hassles surrounding actually using one are pretty awful. Any nostalgia you might have for it will wear off with a single 30-minute load time. We primarily used the 1541 disk drive (which is already faster than tape), and we had the benefit of an Epyx Fast Load cart, and load times were still pretty terrible for some games.

2 hours ago, harryoke said:

anyone use this for piracy on c64 ;) data_resize.thumb.jpg.4962b58ab2a5b414815b6b8d56670d87.jpg

Back in the day, there were some places you could actually record them straight off the radio. Pretty neat.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/08/experiments-in-airborne-basic-buzzing-computer-code-over-fm-radio/

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/10/13/people-used-download-games-radio

9 hours ago, Dane said:

That is actually known as Weber's Law, and it is depressing

I just spent the last 4 days excruciatingly manually adding screenshots and box art of all of my 530 MSX games in LB so I appreciate the effort put into anything like your C64 project.

I never knew that phenomena had a name. Weber's Law. Learn something new every day :-)

Ahh the MSX haha. I did exactly what you described there about 6 months ago. With a lot of box arts, I could only find a photo of the box from places like eBay so I screenshotted them and cropped them etc. I think (though I can't quite remember) that I created a bunch of videos as well to fill in the the gaps from EmuMovies. A nightmare system to complete. Give me a shout if you need anything for the MSX. I'd gladly upload all of my MSX media to DropBox.

Edited by JamesBond@ge
  • Like 1

Have you got all MXS games to work?

I have issues with some roms, does not get passed the MSX logo starting up the blue screen with black logo

Tried both Retroarch bluemsx have the bios so don't know if i do wrong or my roms is not working?

Edited by Zeaede

13 hours ago, JamesBond@ge said:

Give me a shout if you need anything for the MSX. I'd gladly upload all of my MSX media to DropBox.

Thank very much for the offer, I appreciate it. I have all my 500+ MSX & MSX2 games completes now regarding boxes and screenshots even though the quality of some aren’t too good. I removed the MSX2+ and MSX turbo R from my LB as there wasn’t many games for them in my set.

Edited by Dane

7 hours ago, Zeaede said:

Have you got all MXS games to work?

I have issues with some roms, does not get passed the MSX logo starting up the blue screen with black logo

Tried both Retroarch bluemsx have the bios so don't know if i do wrong or my roms is not working?

All my MSX and MSX2 games work, at least the ones I have tried anyway. I did try Retroarch as that is always my first preference but I too could not get past the blue screen with black logo. I then tried MAME and it works perfectly. The command for my MSX games is hx10 -cart and MSX2 is hx34 -cart1. I have the MAME 0.200ROMs set and the 0.200 ROMs bios-devices. MAME is great with the MSX, there are no commands needed to type in game for loading and most of the games controls are very straight forward with most being the spacebar as the main button.

2 minutes ago, Dane said:

All my MSX and MSX2 games work, at least the ones I have tried anyway. I did try Retroarch as that is always my first preference but I too could not get past the blue screen with black logo. I then tried MAME and it works perfectly. The command for my MSX games is hx10 -cart and MSX2 is hx34 -cart1. I have the MAME 0.200ROMs set and the 0.200 ROMs bios-devices. MAME is great with the MSX, there are no commands needed to type in game for loading and most of the games controls are very straight forward with most being the spacebar as the main button.

I have had MAME in mind, Mind i ask what mame plattform you are running it with? Like a jungle to pick right it seems

Edited by Zeaede

5 minutes ago, Zeaede said:

I have had MAME in mind, Mind i ask what mame plattform you are running it with? Like a jungle to pick right it seems

I use standard MAME64 with my Arcade games and MAMEUI64 for everything else:

image.thumb.png.2545865457b82f73384659b2e5945087.png

For whatever reason MAMEUI64 seems to like all that better than regular ol' MAME.

Edited by Dane

14 minutes ago, Dane said:

I use standard MAME64 with my Arcade games and MAMEUI64 for everything else:

image.thumb.png.2545865457b82f73384659b2e5945087.png

For whatever reason MAMEUI64 seems to like all that better than regular ol' MAME.

Thanks for screen

Do i just have to put BIOS under mainfolder for MAME64?

11 minutes ago, Zeaede said:

Thanks for screen

Do i just have to put BIOS under mainfolder for MAME64?

If you have acquired a full MAME romset the BIOS file(s) should be in there like the MSX's (hx10.zip). If for some reason it is not you can find it online and put it in there or put it in any folder you like as long as you add that folder to the directories in whatever version of MAME you have. Here is mine:image.thumb.png.ccb1db258f99d946c5d33f03a6d1abd4.png

As you can see I have different folder added but my MSX BIOS (hx10.zip) is just in my regular MAME ROMs folder.

Edited by Dane

Well I am still in the process of adding a lot of things but here are my stats. According to Launchbox im up to 25551 games in 192 systems. This isnt including around 1000 more in another 13 systems that I have on my hdd but havent added yet. I also had removed a few thousand more of the bigger and most recent systems because I began to run out of space.

On 8/1/2018 at 9:22 AM, Dane said:

If you have acquired a full MAME romset the BIOS file(s) should be in there like the MSX's (hx10.zip). If for some reason it is not you can find it online and put it in there or put it in any folder you like as long as you add that folder to the directories in whatever version of MAME you have. Here is mine:image.thumb.png.ccb1db258f99d946c5d33f03a6d1abd4.png

As you can see I have different folder added but my MSX BIOS (hx10.zip) is just in my regular MAME ROMs folder.

Thanks again for screens

Would like to see a turtorial on youtube with this and launchbox and systems supporting it

16 hours ago, Zeaede said:

Thanks again for screens

Would like to see a turtorial on youtube with this and launchbox and systems supporting it

You are welcome, for systems supported by MAME/MESS see here which will get you the first part of the command line you need in LB and then here to get the second part (just in case you hadn't seen them before)