LaunchBox Community Forums

Who has the largest collection currently standing in Launchbox?

cleverest

17 hours ago, Dan said:

NUMBERS MEAN LITTLE TO ME. MY FLASH GAMES COLLECTION ALONE NUMBERS 350,000. I WOULD HAVE TO CITE GRAHAM'S NUMBER TO BEGIN TO APPROACH ANY CONCEPTUALISATION OF THE ENORMITY OF MY COLLECTION. Back at the ranch - I'm migrating from HS to LB so not actually sure how many games are in my collection, but should know soon. Though there are 350,000 flash games. Thanks Romfrosk.

@Dan
Happy to share.
My 12TB NAS for ROMs and Games are soon full.
Nintendo Switch, Flash, and other newer systems are "taking their toll" on my space.
Maybe i'll need to expand even more.

• Like 2

I had over 30k (MAME, main Nintendo, Sega and Sony systems), but trimmed all the unnecessary MAME clones, so now it stands below 12k.
I am struggling whether to add a filtered HBMAME set or not tough. Did you guys know that in HBMAME there is a Pacman clone called Abortman? Pacman's graphic is a fetus, and the ghosts are friggin' hangers! 

I got a hbmame set and added the games under my "Arcade Hacks" platform.  There are some fun variations of the pac-man/ms. pac man games.  There is a ms. pacman 25 diff. maze version, which is fun.  There are some wonky parts of the maze, almost as if some of the original maze walls couldn't be deleted and are in black space.  But for the most part, it's pretty fun. I also like the pacman renaissance games. 

I had about 70k. Over the last few weeks I got rid of everything I could not get working properly which were mainly old computer systems. I was just getting carried away with adding everything I could and got sick of the constant tinkering trying to get stuff work even though it was a little bit fun. So I culled everything down to 29k now and expect it to go no higher than 35k after I ad more Dreamcast, PS2 and MS-DOS.

Yeah i hear you.

Decided to ditch my entire  Atari ST library of roms due to problems configuring them.

The Hatari emulator is really clunky and slow, Either roms won't boot or the controller won't work, Quite a few of the games also requires weird passcodes from game manuals there's nowhere to be found on the net.

Have you ever used the Steem emulator and get it to work??, I simply can't figure out how to set it up and get it to load roms.

Regards.

4 minutes ago, EmuNOOB said:

Yeah i hear you.

Decided to ditch my entire  Atari ST library of roms due to problems configuring them.

The Hatari emulator is really clunky and slow, Either roms won't boot or the controller won't work, Quite a few of the games also requires weird passcodes from game manuals there's nowhere to be found on the net.

Have you ever used the Steem emulator and get it to work??, I simply can't figure out how to set it up and get it to load roms.

Regards.

I too ditched my Atari ST library as I could not get them working. It is frustrating watching a YouTube tutorial where someone goes through all the steps and it just works without any drama for them. Then you do the exact same thing as per their instructions and it does not work. I have never tried or even heard of the Steem emulator. Most of the old computer systems I either couldn't get working or for the most part they worked but I could not navigate the commands to load/run the games. I think I have about 6 computer systems left on there that work without drama. The most I want working is the C64, I got it working the other night on MAME but only with the tape files and they just take too long to load. This modern era of having everything at the snap of a finger as ruined my patience as embarrassed as I am to admit it.

@EmuNOOB

@Dane

Yeah, I've never gone near Atari ST or Amstrad CPC464 for the same reasons. I think I tried an ancient frontend thing called GameBase Atari ST (I can't remember) and didn't have a clue what I was doing so binned the whole lot. That used the Steem emulator.

I tried Amstrad once for 5 minutes and got rid of it as well. Just couldn't work out the controls. Even though I'm a Brit, I guess I should have an affinity with the Amstrad but no. My heart lays with the Sinclair Spectrum and the Commodore Amiga which run great with RetroArch Fuse Core and FS-UAE respectively. I think there comes a point when you have to ask yourself whether you're spending more time collecting and configuring just for the sake of it.

Saying that though, like you Dane, I've always been curious about the C64 and the good music it has but have never had much success with it. Mr @Zombeaver is a C64 guru and he has a C64 package on his Zomb Lair website which is on my to-do list.

10 hours ago, Dane said:

This modern era of having everything at the snap of a finger as ruined my patience as embarrassed as I am to admit it.

Yeah, but the truth is none of us are getting any younger to waste time waiting for a bleepy bloopy 8 bit game. It was ok when we were 8 years old when 1 year felt like an eternity lol.

I use Steem for Atari ST. It works quite well but requires a bit of work to get things like multi-disk games setup in LB. Doable though.

I don't recommend MAME for C64. Lots of stuff doesn't work. Even they don't recommend using it in its current state.

As James mentioned, I do have a package on my site that's a curated collection of 128 C64 games that are basically setup and ready to go, and can be imported into existing Launchbox libraries (the "Import-Only Version"): https://www.zombs-lair.com/c64-dreams

I use a rather unconventional setup of running the DOS version of CCS64 within DOSBox. I used the Windows version of CCS64 for years, but it has a few too many annoyances/bugs that simply aren't present in the DOS version. There are other options like Hoxs64 and Vice, but I prefer the way I do it on balance. The main thing is that CCS64 has a feature not found in any other C64 emulator out there, called Maximum 1541 Speed, and it's amazing. It's essentially an auto-warp function that automatically detects when a game is attempting to read from the disk, automatically uncaps the emulation speed so it runs much much faster than normal while it's loading, and then when it detects that the load is complete it automatically drops it back down to normal speed, without you having to touch anything. On a platform plagued with long load times, I can't overstate how useful this is. The DOSBox mapper function also allows me to assign a number of useful functions to controller buttons/combinations of buttons like joystick port swapping, warp, etc.

The format I use is admittedly somewhat time-consuming to setup, but worth it to me in the long run. I've converted my entire C64 library over to this and have been in the process of adding new games, and I've currently setup 410 games in this format. I plan on releasing a larger set eventually.

If you test it out and like it, I can walk you through how to replicate it for more games and/or just add any specific games that you want to my to-do list.

• Like 1

Well, the 128 game one is there in the link haha. That would be a good place for people to start. That's my personal "C64 greatest hits" mix.

I'll do a big one once I'm done but it takes a while. Partly because I'm actively curating the stuff that I'm adding, then setting them up, then testing them to make sure they're working (you have to keep in mind that there are often 20+ versions of any given game, released by various groups over the years, and not all of them work perfectly). I'm at 410 games so far, but it takes time and you're talking about a library of literally about 30,000 games for me to sift through. I had a library of about 300 games that I converted over first, then I started branching out into finding new stuff. I've been going through screenshots from Gamebase alphabetically and am currently into the B's lol

• Like 2

as for Atari ST , i have to say Hatari is a pain in the rectum , needs configuring in retroarch & hatari.cfg needs to be in your retroarch system folder with TOS.IMG file.

Hatari.cfg

[Floppy]
bAutoInsertDiskB = TRUE
FastFloppy = TRUE
nWriteProtection = 0
szDiskAFileName = /storage/roms/Atari\ -\ ST//game.st
szDiskBFileName =
szDiskImageDirectory = /storage/roms/Atari\ -\ ST/
szDiskAZipPath =
szDiskBZipPath =

[ROM]
szCartridgeImageFileName =
szTosImageFileName =E:\RetroArch\system\tos.img

12 hours ago, JamesBond@ge said:

Yeah, but the truth is none of us are getting any younger to waste time waiting for a bleepy bloopy 8 bit game. It was ok when we were 8 years old when 1 year felt like an eternity lol.

That is actually known as Weber's Law, and it is depressing. I have all the time in the world for bleepy bloopy 8 bit games now as long as they load quickly, haha. Anyone who says that the long load times of old computer games is one of their endearing charms can go step on a poop. If someone could have magically given me the option as a kid to have those old games load instantaneously I would have said "yes" of course. There is no way I would have said "no leave the long load times as it is great like this".

12 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

As James mentioned, I do have a package on my site that's a curated collection of 128 C64 games that are basically setup and ready to go, and can be imported into existing Launchbox libraries (the "Import-Only Version"): https://www.zombs-lair.com/c64-dreams

The C64 was one of my first gaming experiences along with the IBM and 2600 so I am definitely going to give this a try. That is an awesome thing you are doing with that by the sounds of it. I just spent the last 4 days excruciatingly manually adding screenshots and box art of all of my 530 MSX games in LB so I appreciate the effort put into anything like your C64 project.

1 hour ago, Dane said:

The C64 was one of my first gaming experiences

Ahh!! Who can forget the flashy loading screen when pressing play on your tape-recorder, And you had to find the exact spot before pressing play to load it. One should build an emulator with a virtual tape recorder just to see how long it will take a person to go completely insane.

Had countless of booklets to keep track of where to start the counter on the tape recorder to load a game, Piracy was well and thriving, And we all did it.