LaunchBox Community Forums

Who has the largest collection currently standing in Launchbox?

cleverest

I'm at over 90k at this point. All major popular consoles and handhelds working great, except Nintendo Switch and PS3, which are still fairly experimental. Whenever possible, I built a 1G1R set with USA --> JAP (english language) --> EUR--> JAP (non english language) --> other regions. I excluded betas, demos, and prototypes, but included unlicensed games.

I'm not too happy with computers. there are many issues that give me a headache:

1. I like to keep things consistent, so I opted for MAME Software List Roms for computer systems. However, many (most) of the roms are not games, but applications. There are other sets, which have the games separated from apps, such as TOSEC, but TOSEC includes multiple different formats for its games, making it very hard to build 1G1R sets. On the other hand, TOSEC has many games that MAME SL does not have.

2. There is the question of which emulator to use. Again, I like being consistent and use the mame core in Retroarch. This can be a pain to set up, but works in most cases with a few workarounds. However, standalone emulators might work better.

3. Many computer systems require launching every single game / app with a string of commands that need to be typed in manually, which makes launching games from Launchbox a pain. There are ways to automate this process for some computer systems, but it doesn't work for all of them.

TL;DR: Consoles and handhelds work great, computer systems are a pain.

EDIT: I've also seen people with a collcetion of over 400K. I guess a collection like this includes all regional and version varieties as well as clones for and every single game out there, all imported as separate entries into Launchbox. Such a collection would be borderline unusable for me. I can see the appeal of having regional and version varietes included if they are grouped together under one single entry. E.g. the USA rom at revision 2.00 would be the default rom and other versions and regions would be additional apps. However, at this point, Launchbox does not reliably allow importing and grouping different versions of a game following such a defined pattern.

If I incude more computer systems from MAME SL, and maybe OG Xbox (although there currently is no emulator that works well) I might be able to hit over 100K roms in Launchbox.

Edited by SiriusVI
  • Thanks 1

Hey all, so my 8TB is full now with 15gb free space...expanding it on my NAS to create a 12-16TB upgraded build...from what I can tell by doing so I can fully have sets for WIi, PS2, 3ds and possible Wii-U.... I will be building a PS3 only collection later because it's simply too large...but will have some PS3 favs in this one...will add more Switch to this too...

is anybody else sporting a 14 or 16TB Lauchbox collection currently? what is your total game count? Are you are organizing for cleaning up duplications, demos, etc... and removing non-english titles unless they're translated or playable like mine?

Edited by cleverest

On 12/21/2020 at 2:33 AM, SiriusVI said:

I'm at over 90k at this point. All major popular consoles and handhelds working great, except Nintendo Switch and PS3, which are still fairly experimental. Whenever possible, I built a 1G1R set with USA --> JAP (english language) --> EUR--> JAP (non english language) --> other regions. I excluded betas, demos, and prototypes, but included unlicensed games.

Would you be willing to share your platform list and total game counts for them? (Not specific games if you don't want, just counts per platform)? I'm wondering what I'm missing....

I ask cause I have just over 42,500 game titles the full ExodDOS collection as well as an assortment of about 50 PC games and I know I'm missing about 300 PS2 games total but short of that (and more Switch games... I only have about 25) I know that my collection is almost complete as far as a 1G1R

1 hour ago, cleverest said:

Hey all, so my 8TB is full now with 15gb free space...expanding it on my NAS to create a 12-16TB upgraded build...from what I can tell by doing so I can fully have sets for WIi, PS2, 3ds and possible Wii-U.... I will be building a PS3 only collection later because it's simply too large...but will have some PS3 favs in this one...will add more Switch to this too...

is anybody else sporting a 14 or 16TB Lauchbox collection currently? what is your total game count? Are you are organizing for cleaning up duplications, demos, etc... and removing non-english titles unless they're translated or playable like mine?

Don't know how much my collection is gonna end at

But im gonna add PS3 XBOX360 WII U WII and Switch

The Switch set is at 6tb and so is the WII set, PS3 XBOX 360 is bigger sets

11 hours ago, Zeaede said:

Don't know how much my collection is gonna end at

But im gonna add PS3 XBOX360 WII U WII and Switch

The Switch set is at 6tb and so is the WII set, PS3 XBOX 360 is bigger sets

Wii-U set you mean? No way Wii is at 6TB...is it??

I'm only importing a handful of Xbox and Xbox 360 games, until the emulation gets better.

Wii-U set you mean? No way Wii is at 6TB...is it??

I'm only importing a handful of Xbox and Xbox 360 games, until the emulation gets better.

I have complete set of Wii combined gtz and wbfs... it's at least over 3 TB

Im getting the full set of wii u little helper, think it's gonna be over 1 TB

I was suprised my cpu could do xbox 360 games so i have to grab that too

7 hours ago, Chris Kant said:

I have now a total auf 32.315 Games with around 15-16tb of Games through 100 Systems.

1074521997_Bildschirmfoto2021-01-31um11_41_54.thumb.png.b41b3cf66b17d8782903191e29d60277.png2018850118_Bildschirmfoto2021-01-31um11_42_30.thumb.png.ba52ed9e5a898523e45c65c40be3f7cb.png934645061_Bildschirmfoto2021-01-31um11_42_57.thumb.png.ab8c12a63e5d0da619abebacbd70ca25.png

I'm over 42,000 with under 8TB so you must not be compressing your games?

I recommend GZ compression for PS2.

WBFS for Wii

GC for GameCube (right from Dolphin)

CSO for PSP

Just doing those alone will make a huge difference...

• Like 1

I'm over 42,000 with under 8TB so you must not be compressing your games?

I recommend GZ compression for PS2.

WBFS for Wii

GC for GameCube (right from Dolphin)

CSO for PSP

Just doing those alone will make a huge difference...

Thank you for the tip but everything is already compressed plus General hdd compression is also activated

Also - where it works I am using chd to save Space as well

ps3, 3DS and Switch Games needs a lot of space. Sometimes over 30-40 Gb per Game and More. 

Edited by Chris Kant

On 1/30/2021 at 10:35 PM, cleverest said:

Would you be willing to share your platform list and total game counts for them? (Not specific games if you don't want, just counts per platform)? I'm wondering what I'm missing....

I ask cause I have just over 42,500 game titles the full ExodDOS collection as well as an assortment of about 50 PC games and I know I'm missing about 300 PS2 games total but short of that (and more Switch games... I only have about 25) I know that my collection is almost complete as far as a 1G1R

Uh, I don't really know how to do that ...

Most of the games come from computer systems imported via Mame Software List. That's how I get to such high numbers. Without all the computer systems I'd be at around 40K games, as well.

I also tried the Flashpoint importer which imports flashpoint ultimate's games into Launchbox which adds another 70.000 games. That brings me to over 150.000 games now.

Such a large collection brings with it a lot of problmes, though:

1. For one, big box takes forever to start up.

2. Most games for computer systems don't have artwork.

3. You must either use Mame/MESS (which is quite hard to set up and constantly changing, meaning you have to spend a lot of effort staying up to date)

4. Our you must use standalone emulators for these systems, which I'd like to avoid, beause I don't want to maintain too many different emulators.

Bottom line: many computer systems take a lot of time to set up for very little benefit. I'm honestly considering ditching most computer systems a except for ExODOS and C64 Dreams and adding Flashpint ultimate as a single app.

Edited by SiriusVI

18 hours ago, Chris Kant said:

Thank you for the tip but everything is already compressed plus General hdd compression is also activated

Also - where it works I am using chd to save Space as well

ps3, 3DS and Switch Games needs a lot of space. Sometimes over 30-40 Gb per Game and More. 

Yes I noticed after I posted that, you have a lot of PS3 in your LB collection than I do (I'm building a second set for that alone), and you have a few hundred more WII and x4-x5 times as many WII-U as well, while  I have double your PS2 games (almost), so it's good you are using compression...I also use CHD when I can, forgot to mention that.

On 12/10/2020 at 11:22 AM, lou silver said:

44 Terrabytes 2x2tb and 5x8tb  nearing 195,000 games

see it for yourself in a fresh launchbox build Platforms.7z Playlists.7z

Unpack and add to Launchbox/Data folder and start LB. 195k.thumb.png.a84459867d2901cab047c0cb317c4fdf.png195k2.thumb.png.17a208ad461f4359baf7cc83f1ba0cd6.png195k3.thumb.png.b999771aad522abe0c0f6a66b5065382.png

Good job. How are you loading this all in one interface? Are all these drives seperate, JBOD prepared, in a NAS, etc?

3 hours ago, SiriusVI said:

Bottom line: many computer systems take a lot of time to set up for very little benefit. I'm honestly considering ditching most computer systems a except for ExODOS and C64 Dreams and adding Flashpint ultimate as a single app.

I don't know what computer systems would add that many games (if not dupes, demos, betas, etc..) as I believe I have all the actual games for old stuff (commodore, Amiga, Coleco, MSX, etc..), I may be missing a few hundred oddball weird ones, but not THAT many...I guess I need to check out the MAME software list to see what they are providing support for....

2 minutes ago, cleverest said:

I don't know what computer systems would add that many games (if not dupes, demos, betas, etc..) as I believe I have all the actual games for old stuff (commodore, Amiga, Coleco, MSX, etc..), I may be missing a few hundred oddball weird ones, but not THAT many...I guess I need to check out the MAME software list to see what they are providing support for....

OK, so these are my numbers roughly:

- consoles: around 26.000

- handheld: 11.500

- Arcade: around 3.000

- computers: around 123.000 (this includes the 70.000 flashpoint games, ExODOS, C64 Dreams and my windows games, steam and so on)

- I also have around 16.000 hacks from the goodsets for various consoles

• Game On 1

Ahhh the flashpoint I have is v9.0 of Flashpoint Ultimate which I will add later to my larger NAS build I'm creating, but not this 8TB one, that makes up most of the "computer" games I think...I have just over 20k in that category, so I'm still short of a supposed 30k...hmmm...

I only have 1k hacks. Not sure where to get more.

To create a list of what you have, you can go to VIEW up top, choose LIST VIEW, then right click columns and remove ones in the view you don't want on the spread sheet....then ctrl+A (will take awhile) and press CTRL+C to copy it (this will lock up LaunchBox for awhile with such a giant library, but eventually when things are not locked up anymore, open EXCEL (or whatever spreadsheet) and CTRL+V

There may be a better way, but this is how I've done it time and time again.

Edited by cleverest

On 2/1/2021 at 11:05 AM, cleverest said:

Good job. How are you loading this all in one interface? Are all these drives seperate, JBOD prepared, in a NAS, etc?

JBOD ,4 years of tedious tedious artwork, adding platforms inplementing new non copyright platforms (12 dozen platforms ready to go in minutes - check my posts for links, when net speeds and hard drive costs per tb drop I hope to share all my work with the retro community...

1 hour ago, lou silver said:

JBOD ,4 years of tedious tedious artwork, adding platforms inplementing new non copyright platforms (12 dozen platforms ready to go in minutes - check my posts for links, when net speeds and hard drive costs per tb drop I hope to share all my work with the retro community...

That sounds amazing, but I can't imagine keeping that all running in a JBOG configuration. What if you suffer a hard drive failure?  Are you backing this collection somewhere? That cannot be cheap!

8 hours ago, cleverest said:

That sounds amazing, but I can't imagine keeping that all running in a JBOG configuration. What if you suffer a hard drive failure?  Are you backing this collection somewhere? That cannot be cheap!

Its roughly  $750 , artwork and xmls etc stored on the cloud and across a few hds. I keep them mostly offline and un-powered just waiting for 16 or 20 tb drives to get a little cheaper before a proper complete backup - aka "relying on the good ol' internet"