LaunchBox Community Forums

Who has the largest collection currently standing in Launchbox?

cleverest

The people who buy drives probably have no clue how to upload it.

Besides, that is the last thing we need around here, people who downloaded some drive they have no idea how it works and needing help troubleshoot it. No thanks, I don't do this to be a drive sellers free tech support. The day that becomes the norm is the day I walk away from this.

@cleverest Most of the space hogs are movies since ripped all my blu-rays (and a few UHDs) for Plex.  My arcade "active" set is on a 5 TB drive that I try to keep pruned so it fits on portable hard drive. I keep a backup of that on the NAS, so not pulling from it for play purposes.  A 4 drive NAS is nice setup and with the higher density drives can get a lot on them. 

Edited by sundogak

I've only recently started building a collection once I fell in love with what Launchbox and especially Big Box have to offer. I'm currently at around 18.500 games.

My "rules" are that I start with the US complete set (although I'm not sure that all my sets are 100% complete) and add all the European exclusives. I excluded Japanese games for now, but I might add translated versions of some of them down the road. There are so many crappy games in this collection, and some games flat out don't work. However, this isn't much of a problem since I just create playlists for the top 50 to 100 games of each system.

Whenever possible, I compressed my games (PS2 to .cso, PS1, Sega CD and Sega Saturn to .chd, Wii to .wbfs, and so on.) I made all my setup portable and saved all of it on a 10TB external hard drive. I made backups of all my files on various other harddrives, but this solution is not ideal AT ALL. I'd much rather have a NAS Setup, but I'm too inexperienced for now and I don't want to spend too much cash.

I use retroarch for most of the systems I emulate, except for PS2, Wii, GC, and WiiU. PCSX2 works like a charm and Dolphin standalone is still better for wii games, especially if you want to use a real Wii mote. Dolphin also has a cool widescreen hack for GC games that does not stretch the image. Desmume and citra perform better standalone and also run more games that way. However, the retroarch cores emulate the touch feature much more conveniently to the controller.

I have to say that I'm pretty happy with my setup. I don't know what else I could add to it. XBOX games maybe if an emulator eventually gets the job done. But I think PS3 and XBOX 360 games are too big to be stored on drives for now. That would quickly blow up in size. I'm currently trying to get Philips CDI games running through retroarch's Mame core, which I couldn't get to work yet. Other than that, I'm pretty much settled for now.

Someone wrote that they had more than 50.000 games. I honestly can't imagine how this is possible. This must include all the versions of games from different regions as well.

Edited by SiriusVI

Think so far I’m on about 42,000 I Did have over 60,000 games but my hdd died, so had to start all over again, I had a lot on back up drives apart from the bigger files what seem forever to download a decent sized collection..

ps1/2, GameCube & Wii and a lot of pc games 

2F875091-8D74-4176-9D58-AE750A2FB409.png

Edited by gilbertobaggio6
Update

I'm currently running a WD My Book Duo 16TB (8TB Mirrored), I do use this for my Plex server also though. I used to want a complete set of every game ever, I have now got to the point where I think Just the main sets trimmed down slightly on a 2TB would be more than enough, I will probaby slowly get a 2TB drive filled then use the spare 6TB on the NAS purely for Plex

Back in the old days when Kodi was more popular I used to like the fact I could run Live TV/Movies/TV Shows/Music/Radio/Games/etc all from one app and it look very smart on a 60 inch 4k screen... LaunchBox Media Centre Jason? haha

Edited by zetec-s-joe

• 6 months later...
11 hours ago, SonicFan53 said:

Definitely not ME. I only have like 400-ish. I only get the games I wanna play, lol.

Ditto. I only keep games I played in my youth and popular ones for each mainstream platform.

I find there are diminishing returns for having  huge collections on my arcade cabinet.

People spend more time looking and searching rather than playing. If a friends ask for a specific rom for a specific system, I will add it then.

29 minutes ago, Headrush69 said:

Ditto. I only keep games I played in my youth and popular ones for each mainstream platform.

I find there are diminishing returns for having  huge collections on my arcade cabinet.

People spend more time looking and searching rather than playing. If a friends ask for a specific rom for a specific system, I will add it then.

:)

I do a mix of working on my build, playing games , doing real life work,  errands etc.. 

although it can be tedious especially hunting down / creating artwork  it's still enjoyable to have a project or two in the works,

and to see the final product done and complete (box fronts, clear logos and video snaps are my minimal standards) is very satisfying,

Launchbox 2020

includes all platform media and xmls for your convenience/use

172,000 titles roughly 40 tb probably more counting things not added yet

Edited by lou silver
  • Like 1

My collection is about 4500 games and going down, Used to be 15000+. I just finished cleaning my collection removing duplicate games from different platforms. My rule is to keep the ports, collections and different versions to a minimum, for each game I try to keep the best version or the one for the most easily emulated, I treat Launchbox like one big system with cool games rather than a full collection of games for many consoles and devices.

Having all the games for many systems ends up making your Launchbox look like those bootleg "99999 in 1" games where you only have few titles repeated ad nauseam.

For each system generation prior to the Dreamcast I have complete sets but once games started coming on CDs and DVDs I would pick the console system with the most games that where non exclusive (which where usually PlayStation) and get complete sets for it and then the exclusives for the other systems in that generation, did this up to the PS3 Generation

6 minutes ago, misterlamide said:

For each system generation prior to the Dreamcast I have complete sets but once games started coming on CDs and DVDs I would pick the console system with the most games that where non exclusive (which where usually PlayStation) and get complete sets for it and then the exclusives for the other systems in that generation, did this up to the PS3 Generation

I deleted your other two multiple posts. (this same post was posted three times)

I've spent almost 4 years building my collection (two young kids at home so it wasn't on a daily basis), I agree with the fact that hunting and making covers can be a very long job... but really also satisfying. I'm about 21 400 games and I consider my retrogaming system as complete so now it's time to enjoy !