LaunchBox Community Forums

7.9-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

On Fri Mar 24 2017 at 6:00 PM, Charco said:

Found a random enough bug in 7.8 official. When I launch a game from a playlist, in this case TMNT from the Konami Classics playlist, it plays fine but when I exit sometimes I get stuck on the Games Details screen. The video does not play but I can move up and down the options on the left. My button to exit is unresponsive. I tried launching the game again but it hangs on the Launching Game popup. I can only exit via Task Manager and it states that Big Box is running, it does not say that it is Not Responding. Using VLC player.

The same game launches and exits fine from the Arcade platform.

I've got the same problem. But i've issues with all my emulators except Mame, because i exit Mame with cancel in Mame ui.

But all the other emulators/games won't exit properly.

I thought its because my Xbox360 controller.

When i exit with ESC on my keyboard i've got no issues.

Edited by 1Patrick34

14 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

FYI guys...what I've been doing since yesterday:

I'd seen the handheld pc you mentioned and thought it looked promising, however I also found this which looks to me a modular system where you are able to upgrade components. Regardless it great that LB/BB runs on these systems. Now which one to buy? :)

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/smach-z-the-handheld-gaming-pc-games#/

On 4/3/2017 at 2:42 PM, Porl Hendy said:

Thanks for the beta @Jason Carr is there a way to set 1 key to switch between departments (if that is the correct word) you want to be looking at. Just like when u have switch image. So say i can set Y on my xbox controller to switch to platforms, hit it again and it goes to platform categories, hit again and it goes to playlist. I did try setting same key on keyboard for them but it doesnt do anything. Thank you

Unfortunately there's no way to do that currently, though it does make sense. As always, if you can put in a ticket for it, I'd appreciate it. :)

On 4/3/2017 at 5:54 PM, ninja2bceen said:

Looking good. Is there a plan to support multiple level nested filters? Aka consoles>Nintendo>X, y,z

I don't think any front end supports this and something I know the community has been at the bits for. We are so close to having a full transition from Hyperspin!

A couple features I'm still after that it may already support

Shutdown computer upon exit

Can you play random intro videos upon start up? Say you have a collection of 30 or so

Adjust volume with hot key on front end

Support instruction cards for front end. For cabinets I like to have a layer of art that explains what buttons do what within the front end so that anyone can walk up to it and know what buttons do what

Would be kind of cool to support high scores from the community or start challenges. Think game ex you can see who has the highest score from the community. Also think Hyperspin where there is a weekly challenge where folks just sign up and say I played X game and here is my score. It's sort of a weekly or monthly contest. The winner picks the next game. Could be cool and unique if it just worked through the ui rather then the forums

Multiple level nested filters, maybe at some point but unfortunately this next release won't support that, though you *can* keep filtering down deeper without issues by pulling up the nested filters multiple times.

Shutdown is already possible via the system menu; random intro videos are planned and will make it onto the next community poll; volume hotkeys are already there; instruction cards are possible with images, but support could probably be improved.

The high scores thing would certainly be cool; we could have someone here head that up on the forums even. :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Maddoc1007 said:

@Jason Carr Just watched the above YouTube video and was pleasantly surprised that LaunchBox/BigBox works so well on something so small.  However I must reproach you on a statement you made in the video  from 14:12 to 14:17 which I thought was a very disingenuous statement for anyone to make, which was "this is not a crappy theme".  I for one do not think any theme created by any member here is crappy they all have their own merits and  as members first have to learn xaml possibly having no previous knowledge or experience of using it and then the countless hours they spend creating the theme they upload here for the benefit of the community, so listening to a comment such as that on a YouTube video will only alienate people from creating or uploading themes.  I am terribly sorry and apologise to have to come on here and say this that anybody's efforts can be rewarded by such a comment.

I'm sorry @Maddoc1007; I did not at all mean to imply that any of the amazing themes we have here are crappy. Honestly I was actually thinking of different frontends in my head, but yes, I should be more careful with my words.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 1Patrick34 said:

I've got the same problem. But i've issues with all my emulators except Mame, because i exit Mame with cancel in Mame ui.

But all the other emulators/games won't exit properly.

I thought its because my Xbox360 controller.

When i exit with ESC on my keyboard i've got no issues.

Does this only happen for games in playlists?

8 minutes ago, Kriven said:

Just a question. Do you intend to eventually program playlists with the ability to play videos from the games associated with them, the way you can with platforms?

I'm actually not sure that it does do this. Does it play random videos in the playlist if there is no video for it currently? It may have been a performance issue which is why it isn't already there (if it isn't, honestly I don't remember).

Just now, neil9000 said:

Not broken, by any means, may need some tweaking though if they are not working for you. hit us up on the forums rather than the beta thread though. thanks.

I mean, I didn't know it was a problem with my setup, and since playlists and platform categories are relevant to the current new releases, I thought it should go here. But now I know my setup isn't working the way it should, so I'll check around my files a bit and then make a thread elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Not broken, by any means, may need some tweaking though if they are not working for you. hit us up on the forums rather than the beta thread though. thanks.

Let's be careful here; not even I can promise anyone that anything isn't broken. There can always be hidden bugs. So just because your experience is a positive one, does not mean that there's nothing wrong.

• Like 2

Just now, Jason Carr said:

I'm actually not sure that it does do this. Does it play random videos in the playlist if there is no video for it currently? It may have been a performance issue which is why it isn't already there (if it isn't, honestly I don't remember).

Playlists and Platform Categories without video do not select a random video to play. All I get is black. I assumed since there weren't options for these in the videos menu that they were things which either hadn't been implemented yet or had slipped under the radar.

Edited by Kriven
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I'm sorry @Maddoc1007; I did not at all mean to imply that any of the amazing themes we have here are crappy. Honestly I was actually thinking of different frontends in my head, but yes, I should be more careful with my words.

I nearly commented on that myself, but refrained. I think it was a run of the mouth he, as he said at the start, doesn't do this sort of video at all.

3 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Let's be careful here; not even I can promise anyone that anything isn't broken. There can always be hidden bugs. So just because your experience is a positive one, does not mean that there's nothing wrong.

Apologies, I was just saying that the issue he is seeing is not one that I have seen or am aware of, I didn't say it didn't exist or wasn't happening.

7 minutes ago, Kriven said:

Playlists and Platform Categories without video do not select a random video to play. All I get is black. I assumed since there weren't options for these in the videos menu that they were things which either hadn't been implemented yet or had slipped under the radar.

The only setting that should matter for this is "Use Random Game Videos for Missing Platform Videos" under Options > Videos. That indeed does not seem to be working for me for platform categories or playlists, though, so thanks @Kriven. I'm not sure if I'll get a fix for that into 7.9 or not (because it might cause some performance issues), but I'll do my best. :)

• Like 1

All right, thanks for looking at that. It's not a huge deal, and if it breaks more things than it fixes I don't know too many people who are going to be bothered by it. I just thought I'd bring it to your attention while Playlists and Platform Categories were still the fresh focus for the project.

• Like 1