LaunchBox Community Forums

7.9-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

And we're off again with the first 7.9 beta. Platform categories are now available in Big Box. You can choose "View Platform Categories" in the main menu, and platform categories can be made the default view on startup in the view options.

We don't have any images or videos for the default categories yet, but hopefully the community can come up with some very shortly. I also still need to add an interface in LaunchBox to allow you to manage the metadata on the categories, so that's the next thing on my to-do list. After that we'll be tackling nested filters. :)

• Like 12

I can't find the poll from a while back about prioritizing future features--- just out of curiosity, where on the list was an integrated pdf/doc/text file reader? I figured out a bit of a hackaround, but it's not the most elegant solution--- I'd much rather have an integrated reader that's controllable with a controller :-P

Nested menus! I consolidated my systems and now I almost want to break them out again. Question tho, is this intended? When I view platform cats and I say enter Consoles and back out it jumps back to Arcade which is the first categories vs staying on Consoles where I entered.

@Jason Carr got a question about importing to playlists (still on 7.8, not moved to the beta just yet). Is it intended behavior, or a bug, that when one selects "Scan for Added ROMs" in the Arcade platform when ROMs are added to the correct directory assigned in LaunchBox, that the games when found and imported are not automatically added to their appropriate Arcade Playlists if created? Is this only available for "Import ROMs" for the platform, and should it be available for both? Personally I think it should, but I of course defer to your knowledge and experience concerning this.

Edited by EazyCheeze1978

1 hour ago, adu said:

Are the categories manageable ? (well I don't know how to translate my french thought in English ...)

i.e, can we create as many categories as we like ? Or are they made by default (Arcade / Computer / Handheld) ?

You can. In fact, if you right click any game there is an item to add them to a playlist. From there you click new playlist and a few more options show up. I do think there can be more ways to make it more obvious or easier to get to, but right clicking a single game to create a playlist is there.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, snarfo67 said:

I can't find the poll from a while back about prioritizing future features--- just out of curiosity, where on the list was an integrated pdf/doc/text file reader? I figured out a bit of a hackaround, but it's not the most elegant solution--- I'd much rather have an integrated reader that's controllable with a controller :-P

The PDF reader wasn't very highly voted, so it will make its way onto the next poll for another chance. We'll be doing another poll shortly after 7.9 comes out. :)

18 hours ago, DR9 said:

Nested menus! I consolidated my systems and now I almost want to break them out again. Question tho, is this intended? When I view platform cats and I say enter Consoles and back out it jumps back to Arcade which is the first categories vs staying on Consoles where I entered.

No, it should be remembering which entry you were on. That said, if you've disabled "remember last platform" then it may not.

6 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

Something I do want to say for playlists, they're not easily manageable. It should be right in the menu or right click the sidebar and you're off to creating. As far as images:

Not easily manageable? It is accessible via right click in the sidebar...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EazyCheeze1978 said:

@Jason Carr got a question about importing to playlists (still on 7.8, not moved to the beta just yet). Is it intended behavior, or a bug, that when one selects "Scan for Added ROMs" in the Arcade platform when ROMs are added to the correct directory assigned in LaunchBox, that the games when found and imported are not automatically added to their appropriate Arcade Playlists if created? Is this only available for "Import ROMs" for the platform, and should it be available for both? Personally I think it should, but I of course defer to your knowledge and experience concerning this.

Games *should* be being automatically picked up in the playlists after adding new games, but I did do some heavy caching in order to help with performance. So you may just need to restart LaunchBox.

4 hours ago, adu said:

Are the categories manageable ? (well I don't know how to translate my french thought in English ...)

i.e, can we create as many categories as we like ? Or are they made by default (Arcade / Computer / Handheld) ?

Yes, categories can be changed just by changing the "Category" field on platforms and playlists. I will be adding a proper interface for managing the categories and their metadata before the official release.

• Like 1