LaunchBox Community Forums

7.9-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

On 24/03/2017 at 5:00 PM, Charco said:

Found a random enough bug in 7.8 official. When I launch a game from a playlist, in this case TMNT from the Konami Classics playlist, it plays fine but when I exit sometimes I get stuck on the Games Details screen. The video does not play but I can move up and down the options on the left. My button to exit is unresponsive. I tried launching the game again but it hangs on the Launching Game popup. I can only exit via Task Manager and it states that Big Box is running, it does not say that it is Not Responding. Using VLC player.

The same game launches and exits fine from the Arcade platform.

On 26/03/2017 at 11:55 AM, Charco said:

This happening now whether playing games from a playlist or not.

Anyone else experiencing this? Big Box is not usable for me at the moment due to this issue. I rolled back to 7.7 and the issue persists.

1 minute ago, Charco said:

Thanks for checking @neil9000, I've narrowed the issue down to happening only with MAME. I might upgrade my set to 0.184 soon and see if that may resolve my issue.

Maybe your MAME isn't exiting correctly for some reason, that would explain why when you try to relaunch the game it doesn't work, already running in the background? Also have you tried turning the game details screen of in the options and trying it like that?

Thanks guys, looking into the issues. Per the playlists, fixes are coming for the extra games. Per missing games, keep in mind that the playlists often contain duplicates of all the different versions available for a particular game, so just because it's showing up as missing does not mean there isn't another version of it in your collection that *is* there. Just viewing a massive list of "missing" games isn't a signifier that there's anything wrong; it just means that the MAME importer is doing its job excluding clones. If anyone can confirm *specific* games that should be found, but aren't, let me know.

I'm currently busy working on nested filters, and some other things. I have transitions implemented for the platform categories, as well as shortcut buttons and keys. I can't put out a beta quite yet though because I'm in the middle of development on nested filters.

• Like 7

Yes, the "missing" games are definitely somewhere else, but not in all the auto playlists that they should be

Example:

Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara

This exists in Arcade and CPS Classics, but not in CPS II. I use the .183 split set. I use all the default settings when importing the CPS II playlist is missing quite a few games. I am totally down with creating a new one, but I am just curious as to where you got your lists, so that I can compare.

Edited by quazl

1 minute ago, quazl said:

Yes, the "missing" games are definitely somewhere else, but not in all the auto playlists that they should be

Example:

Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara

This exists in Arcade and CPS Classics, but not in CPS II. I use the .183 split set. I use all the default settings when importing the CPS II playlist is missing quite a few games. I am totally down with creating a new one, but I am just curious as to where you got your lists, so that I can compare.

Yeah darkstalkers is another one for cps 2 its in my arcade, in fact I have 4 versions of it including the USA one that the cps 2 playlist says I'm missing.

Just a thought, is launchbox not checking the additional apps if there is more than one version of a game? It could be that the versions missing in the playlists are not the default version launched when selecting a game and are therefore reported as missing? Just a thought I know nothing about coding. :) 

Here is something interesting:

I opened up the playlist XML for CPSII...

<PlaylistGame>
    <GameTitle>Dungeons &amp; Dragons: Shadow over Mystara (USA 960619)</GameTitle>
    <GameFileName>ddsomu.zip</GameFileName>
    <GamePlatform>Arcade</GamePlatform>
    <ManualOrder>0</ManualOrder>
  </PlaylistGame>

But it looks different then a game that shows up:

<PlaylistGame>
    <GameId>3e65912c-ad2d-422b-8479-3a14afea78f8</GameId>
    <LaunchBoxDbId>12170</LaunchBoxDbId>
    <GameTitle>Cyberbots: Full Metal Madness</GameTitle>
    <GameFileName>cybotsu.zip</GameFileName>
    <ManualOrder>-1</ManualOrder>
  </PlaylistGame>

It is missing GameId and LaunchBoxDbId. None of the Dungeon and Dragon game entries have the GameId and LaunchBoxDbId

I opened up the Capcom Classics playlist XML as well to compare:

<PlaylistGame>
    <GameId>ae14f066-0502-42e4-bd68-354db74f600b</GameId>
    <LaunchBoxDbId>8727</LaunchBoxDbId>
    <GameTitle>Dungeons &amp; Dragons: Shadow over Mystara</GameTitle>
    <GameFileName>ddsomh.zip</GameFileName>
    <ManualOrder>-1</ManualOrder>
  </PlaylistGame>

AND

<PlaylistGame>
    <GameTitle>Dungeons &amp; Dragons: Shadow over Mystara (USA 960619)</GameTitle>
    <GameFileName>ddsomu.zip</GameFileName>
    <ManualOrder>0</ManualOrder>
  </PlaylistGame>

Are in the playlist.

I would assume that the second entry is the merged game but it will only show up when you right click the parent. IT seems that the entries in the CPSII playlist do not have the "parent".

Just guessing. I went ahead and spot checked through the CPS II playlist XML and playlist itself. The games that show up are the ones that have the GameId and LaunchBoxDbId.

Edited by quazl

10 hours ago, Wayne100 said:

How do you add, delete or edit the platform categories? I managed to create an additional categorie, however I can't seem to remove it - even if there are no games in it, it is still displayed in BigBox?

I had this problem as well. I had to crawl through my data files and delete references to the category manually.

10 hours ago, Wayne100 said:

How do you add, delete or edit the platform categories? I managed to create an additional categorie, however I can't seem to remove it - even if there are no games in it, it is still displayed in BigBox?

I have the same issue. The category still exists in BigBox even I remove all platforms.

I love the playlists feature. It has so much potential and is completely unique to the front-end scene. However, there is one feature that would make it even better in my opinion. I'm very strict about what games show up in my games list. For instance, I don't like mixing fan made games and prototypes with officially released games, yet a lot of these games are great and I want to play them. It just looks sloppy to me to have hundreds of SNES ROM hacks and homebrews mixed in with the officially released SNES games.

What I'm asking @Jason Carr is can you add a feature within the playlists that allows hidden games to populate playlists, BUT nowhere else in LB or BB? You could just add a checkbox when you edit the playlist window that says "Show Hidden Games". This way I can easily access my ROM Hacks or Prototypes from these two playlists and not have it clutter my platforms or any other filters.

Edited by Beatlemaniac19

There's any possibility to implement big box to start by default on the Windows Explorer's place? It would be great! an option to choose: Start Big Box instead Windows Explorer, and there's a option to: Open Explorer

Ah, I almost forget. Can create a Programs or software categorie to easily put the programs/softwares to run on Bigbox!

@Jason Carr

Edited by sagaopc