LaunchBox Community Forums

7.9-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

Awesome feature with Platform Categories didn't even know Launchbox had that great to see it in BigBox

So wwill background art/images/videos and custom logos be coming for the Platform Categories also so Themes can take advantage or is there already a way to set background videos/images for existing themes with Platform Categories?

4 minutes ago, elitemanhood said:

Awesome feature with Platform Categories didn't even know Launchbox had that great to see it in BigBox

So wwill background art/images/videos and custom logos be coming for the Platform Categories also so Themes can take advantage or is there already a way to set background videos/images for existing themes with Platform Categories?

You can already add these yourself in Launchbox/Images/Platform Categories and Launchbox/Videos/Platform Categories.

17 minutes ago, bundangdon said:

As I mentioned before, I definitely love this new feature but I did find one minor 'snag'. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned by anyone else, but with some of the themes, the main "Platform Categories" menu seems to lag very noticeably, about a 2 to 3 second (or more) lag. It may be more of an issue with the themes since it's not evident in all themes available. For example, BigCouch and StationEmulation are just a couple of the ones that have some major lagging/dragging within the Platform Categories menu.

I am seeing a similar thing, scrolling the wheel is just fine but when I actually select something I get a delay of about 2-3 seconds before the next wheel opens, it seems to take longer when there are more platforms in the category. Using Cityhunter theme here.

Found a random enough bug in 7.8 official. When I launch a game from a playlist, in this case TMNT from the Konami Classics playlist, it plays fine but when I exit sometimes I get stuck on the Games Details screen. The video does not play but I can move up and down the options on the left. My button to exit is unresponsive. I tried launching the game again but it hangs on the Launching Game popup. I can only exit via Task Manager and it states that Big Box is running, it does not say that it is Not Responding. Using VLC player.

The same game launches and exits fine from the Arcade platform.

A couple of thoughts on platform categories in Big Box:

-There isn't any visual transition between platform categories and their sub-platforms - it's kindof jarring. If you switch between platforms and playlists there's a nice fade that looks fine but from platform categories to platforms it's just instant.

-There isn't a mappable function for switching to platform categories. Currently I have buttons assigned to switch to platforms and switch to playlists - I'd like to replace my assignment for platforms to platform categories but there doesn't appear to be a way to do this at the moment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, imdavid555 said:

will we be able to create our own platform categories when 7.9 is released? Curious because I don't see Pinball as a category.

Tools -> Manage Paltforms, double click on a platform and the Category field is in here. You can select one from the drop down or create your own. I've been debating on making Categories for the consoles makers. You can also set Playlists to their own categories, but you need to edit the playlists for that. On the left, go to the drop down at the top and select Playlists. Then right click a playlist, check the "Include Playlist in Platform Categories", and then pick or create a Category here as well. Once they're in your Platform Categories view, you can edit them from here too. I know you just asked for Platforms, but that's where it is for Playlists too.

• Like 3

On 24/03/2017 at 5:00 PM, Charco said:

Found a random enough bug in 7.8 official. When I launch a game from a playlist, in this case TMNT from the Konami Classics playlist, it plays fine but when I exit sometimes I get stuck on the Games Details screen. The video does not play but I can move up and down the options on the left. My button to exit is unresponsive. I tried launching the game again but it hangs on the Launching Game popup. I can only exit via Task Manager and it states that Big Box is running, it does not say that it is Not Responding. Using VLC player.

The same game launches and exits fine from the Arcade platform.

This happening now whether playing games from a playlist or not.

Just now, angelobodetti said:

That's the first place a checked but I do not have those folders. Do I create them myself?

It should create them on its own but it's not going to hurt anything to make them manually. Try restarting LB and/or starting BB and see if it makes them.