LaunchBox Community Forums

7.9-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

51 minutes ago, slimskinny said:

export to file would be a nice touch on the nested filters :-) ...not really a request just a thought and  probably a throw away thought at that :-D

I believe @Jason Carr said he was going to implement some sort of filter saving, so you could select a previously created filter rather than starting from scratch. At least I think that's what he said, grain of salt and all that.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2017 at 4:06 AM, Scottad said:

With the new nested filters are we able to sort platforms by the manufacture like Nintendo, Sega, Sony etc or would that be a different feature?

I would like to sort my Bigbox like Consoles > Sega > Sega Genesis or Handhelds > Nintendo > Game Boy  

You are able to sort platforms by manufacturer, but not multiple levels deep. You can customize the platform categories however you want, but unfortunately we won't be doing multiple levels deep for 7.9.

On 3/31/2017 at 9:24 AM, ALIE said:

@Jason Carr just got to test nested on a very slow laptop but had to test it :). 

Anyway it seems to work very well just what I hoped for.  But two things don't know if they are already on your list.

but will it continue to need precise information to find stuff.  I searched America and it didn't find the games but when I searched North America precisely it worked. 

Also could it be possible for controller use.  to save a searched  word and pick it from the drop down when no keyboard is around. 

Yeah, I'm hoping to provide an easy way to save sets of filters from right within that dialog, and also load them up quickly. I'm not sure if it's going to make it into the 7.9 release though.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2017 at 9:25 AM, slimskinny said:

export to file would be a nice touch on the nested filters :-) ...not really a request just a thought and  probably a throw away thought at that :-D

Yeah, we could have an option to automatically create a playlist; that is one thought that I had as well. :)

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 1:50 AM, Jason Carr said:

@neil9000, yes, that is probably what's going on. The playlists aren't checking for additional apps, so I can see how that could ultimately cause "missing" games. I'll have to come up with a solution for this before the next release.

@Jason Carr You said in the stream today to remind you, this is a reminder! lol. :) 

• Like 1

@Jason Carr The only way I see around this without a lot of coding on your end is if....When importing mame you mark the files in the playlists you create as the default, overriding what the user has chosen pre-import. For example I mentioned it above, but I have 4 versions of darkstalkers, including the exact version cps 2 playlist says I'm missing, but its in additional apps, even though I priorotized north America which was actually the default selection, it always trys to launch the Europe version. Now I am in Europe, but I specified north America on import. So something is wrong or weird somewhere.

• Like 1

Alright guys, beta 3 is out. The most notable new thing is that you can now download theme videos for the platform categories. Also, this beta includes a new Arabic translation from @MajKSA.

Other than bug fixes and performance improvements, the last thing I need to do before the release is add a way to manage the platform categories much like managing platforms and playlists. I think I'm going to put this off until Wednesday morning's live stream though and focus on fixes and improvements in the mean time.

• Like 4

Thanks for the beta @Jason Carr is there a way to set 1 key to switch between departments (if that is the correct word) you want to be looking at. Just like when u have switch image. So say i can set Y on my xbox controller to switch to platforms, hit it again and it goes to platform categories, hit again and it goes to playlist. I did try setting same key on keyboard for them but it doesnt do anything. Thank you

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Yeah, I'm hoping to provide an easy way to save sets of filters from right within that dialog, and also load them up quickly. I'm not sure if it's going to make it into the 7.9 release though.

Sounds good. 

• Like 1

Looking good. Is there a plan to support multiple level nested filters? Aka consoles>Nintendo>X, y,z

I don't think any front end supports this and something I know the community has been at the bits for. We are so close to having a full transition from Hyperspin!

A couple features I'm still after that it may already support

Shutdown computer upon exit

Can you play random intro videos upon start up? Say you have a collection of 30 or so

Adjust volume with hot key on front end

Support instruction cards for front end. For cabinets I like to have a layer of art that explains what buttons do what within the front end so that anyone can walk up to it and know what buttons do what

Would be kind of cool to support high scores from the community or start challenges. Think game ex you can see who has the highest score from the community. Also think Hyperspin where there is a weekly challenge where folks just sign up and say I played X game and here is my score. It's sort of a weekly or monthly contest. The winner picks the next game. Could be cool and unique if it just worked through the ui rather then the forums

9 hours ago, Porl Hendy said:

Thanks for the beta @Jason Carr is there a way to set 1 key to switch between departments (if that is the correct word) you want to be looking at. Just like when u have switch image. So say i can set Y on my xbox controller to switch to platforms, hit it again and it goes to platform categories, hit again and it goes to playlist. I did try setting same key on keyboard for them but it doesnt do anything. Thank you

I was thinking about this too and agree it would be a great feature (although I'll probably need a Jaguar controller soon with all these new features and hotkeys ?)

• Like 2

@Jason Carr Just watched the above YouTube video and was pleasantly surprised that LaunchBox/BigBox works so well on something so small.  However I must reproach you on a statement you made in the video  from 14:12 to 14:17 which I thought was a very disingenuous statement for anyone to make, which was "this is not a crappy theme".  I for one do not think any theme created by any member here is crappy they all have their own merits and  as members first have to learn xaml possibly having no previous knowledge or experience of using it and then the countless hours they spend creating the theme they upload here for the benefit of the community, so listening to a comment such as that on a YouTube video will only alienate people from creating or uploading themes.  I am terribly sorry and apologise to have to come on here and say this that anybody's efforts can be rewarded by such a comment.

• Like 1

I kind of felt that way as well, but I don't think Jason meant that as in "Some of these themes really suck, you guys." I think it's just... that's probably the word Jason uses in his everyday vernacular to designate something which is lesser in a specific way (I know that I do), and in this context he meant that Cityhunter isn't a lightweight theme. Not that any theme is inherently better or worse than, but that "This isn't using a small ("crappy") amount of resources."

I could be totally way off base though.

• Like 2