LaunchBox Community Forums

8.4-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

Alright, beta 4 is out with fixes for a couple of issues as well as the following:

• Improvement: Show Versions has been implemented in LaunchBox.Next

• Improvement: The LaunchBox.Next list view now retains its sorting on refresh and between filters

• Improvement: "Use Random Color Theme On Startup" has been implemented in LaunchBox.Next

• Fixed: Playlists are now sorted properly via the playlist's sort settings in LaunchBox.Next

Getting there...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Suhrvivor said:

The startup video of BigBox doesn't follow the volume settings, it's always at max volume regardless of your master and video volume settings. :(

That has always been the case, Bigbox hasn't loaded at that point its just VLC playing a video so it must use the default VLC settings I guess. I'm not sure if anything can be done there to be honest, @Jason Carr would have to comment on that. And for the record if you are using WMP in Bigbox that doesn't follow the audio settings either, as they are purely for VLC once inside of Bigbox, its just the way it is. 

Regarding image cacheing - if LBN caches the images for a certain size, and the user resizes them (leading to another cache process) but then goes back to the original size, do the original sized images need to be re-cached or does it remember the cache from the last time they were that size?

13 hours ago, FistyDollars said:

For some reason, I'm no longer able to download Steam Trailer Videos when importing Windows games. Steam Banners still work, but no videos.

Is this only in .Next?

12 hours ago, Suhrvivor said:

The startup video of BigBox doesn't follow the volume settings, it's always at max volume regardless of your master and video volume settings. :(

Yeah, we would probably need a new volume control option for it, since people will likely want it at a separate volume anyways. I would consider this a new feature request.

7 hours ago, Dan said:

Regarding image cacheing - if LBN caches the images for a certain size, and the user resizes them (leading to another cache process) but then goes back to the original size, do the original sized images need to be re-cached or does it remember the cache from the last time they were that size?

The box image slider doesn't really make it easy to get to an exact particular size, not to mention the cache folder would grow to take up a ridiculous amount of space if we kept all the previous sizes. Currently, the cache is emptied and rebuilt as needed when the size of the boxes is changed. However, the cache will keep all the various image types as they are populated (so it won't need to re-cache when switching between boxes and 3D boxes, for example).

Thanks for your reply @Jason Carr  I suppose that makes sense when you consider how large the cache could become. 

It would however be very helpful if the box size could be set in LBN on a per platform basis! Due to the different sizes and shapes of boxes (or whatever media image is preferred for the display) for different platforms, having the same size for all platforms means that many will not look right. Is this something that you have perhaps considered? 

Edited by Dan

2 hours ago, Dan said:

Thanks for your reply @Jason Carr  I suppose that makes sense when you consider how large the cache could become. 

It would however be very helpful if the box size could be set in LBN on a per platform basis! Due to the different sizes and shapes of boxes (or whatever media image is preferred for the display) for different platforms, having the same size for all platforms means that many will not look right. Is this something that you have perhaps considered? 

Yes, this is something I am considering for the future. :)

1 hour ago, FistyDollars said:

@Jason Carr no, it's happening in both versions. I'm wondering if Steam changed something behind the scenes?

Certainly possible, and probably likely, considering the trouble we've been through with the Steam API lately. Did you test it out with games that for certain had a Steam ID connected to them?

Alright folks, beta 5 is out. I focused mostly on .Next bugfixes today. These items have been fixed/implemented:

• Jump to new game after game is added
  • Adding to playlist requiring a restart
  • Defaulting to system language in some cases/places (let me know if anyone is still seeing this anywhere)
  • Download Metadata and Media wizard buttons cut off

Here's what we have left for .Next:

• Custom spacing options (with # of text lines too)
  • Controller support
  • Music playback
  • Sidebar resizing randomly
  • Box customization options (colors, placement, visibility, etc.)
  • Mouse cursor popup options
  • Occasional multi-select issues (games are not unselected on rare occasions)
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Alright folks, beta 5 is out. I focused mostly on .Next bugfixes today. These items have been fixed/implemented:

• Jump to new game after game is added
  • Adding to playlist requiring a restart
  • Defaulting to system language in some cases/places (let me know if anyone is still seeing this anywhere)
  • Download Metadata and Media wizard buttons cut off

Here's what we have left for .Next:

• Controller support
  • Music playback
  • Sidebar resizing randomly
  • Occasional multi-select issues (games are not unselected on rare occasions)

"Defaulting to system language in some cases/places" is fixed for the settings and tools/menu's, thanks so much! :) The only thing I still see in my native language (dutch) is the right click menu (on every occasion so it seems to be something stable) in .Next, that's not a big issue for me though but I still mention it in case you want to tackle this if this is an unwanted issue (not sure if it is generated by non-English windows 10 or launchbox.next itself) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

"Defaulting to system language in some cases/places" is fixed for the settings and tools/menu's, thanks so much! :) The only thing I still see in my native language (dutch) is the right click menu (on every occasion so it seems to be something stable) in .Next, that's not a big issue for me though but I still mention it in case you want to tackle this if this is an unwanted issue (not sure if it is generated by non-English windows 10 or launchbox.next itself) 

Gotcha, should be an easy fix. I just missed that spot. :)

• Thanks 1

On 6/21/2018 at 6:09 PM, Jason Carr said:

Gotcha, should be an easy fix. I just missed that spot. :)

I noticed some small issues still @Jason Carr I hope it helps you to tackle this language thing further: It seems the "All" "None" "Exists" side bar items are translated back to Dutch automatically after a system restart, even though I've translated these manually back to English in the General/Sidebar settings before. Not sure if this was already the case in Launchbox itself, but i'm pretty sure it was.
The info field titles in the right column like: Rating, Series, Region etc. are also in dutch (but not every title). That's all left on the language issue as far as I can see, sorry I didn't notice them earlier on.

Edit: If you need screenshots to get more details let me know.

Edited by Mr. RetroLust

4 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

I noticed some small issues still @Jason Carr I hope it helps you to tackle this language thing further: It seems the "All" "None" "Exists" side bar items are translated back to Dutch automatically after a system restart, even though I've translated these manually back to English in the General/Sidebar settings before. Not sure if this was already the case in Launchbox itself, but i'm pretty sure it was.
The info field titles in the right column like: Rating, Series, Region etc. are also in dutch (but not every title). That's all left on the language issue as far as I can see, sorry I didn't notice them earlier on.

Edit: If you need screenshots to get more details let me know.

The "All", "None", and "Exists" changing *should* only be happening when you change the language; it does automatically happen when the language is changed. If you can confirm that it is indeed happening every time though, I'll look into it, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

Gotcha on the translations in the game details, I'll see if I can't patch that up.

• Thanks 1

Alright all, beta 6 is out with the following changes/fixes/additions for .Next:

• Incorrect translation in the right-click menu has been fixed
  • LaunchBox.Next no longer prioritizes cinematic videos
  • Hopefully fixed the occasional issue with games not unselecting properly
  • Set a maximum width on the side bar to prevent it from getting too large and then not being sizable
  • Fixed playlist manual sorting
  • Implemented music playback
  • Added a volume control to the bottom right

Per the side bar sizing, I still have never been able to replicate it changing randomly, and I believe I've only heard it from one person, so I'm hoping that just preventing it from growing too big will suffice for now. I'm betting it has something to do with changing resolutions or DPI settings on the fly (probably caused by an emulator).

Per music playback, I believe everything has been implemented sans for the song name and the associated drop down list in the bottom bar. The song name can be seen via a tool tip, but you can't currently click it to select a different track. I was never much of a fan of this interface in OG LaunchBox, so I'm hoping to come up with a better interface for that when I do implement it. That may take a back seat for now unless I get too many gripes about it.

Anyways, here's what's left on my list at current:

• Controller support
  • Game details translations incorrect language in places

Happy weekend everybody.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3