LaunchBox Community Forums

8.4-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

5 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I'm not quite sure what you mean; I ran it through a translator and unfortunately it didn't make sense. Can you rephrase?

He asked in a very rough way when are you planning in adding joystick control support for LB Next. 

• Like 1

@Jason Carr

Getting the following error any time I use the Audit tool. I have restarted Launchbox Next several times and it happens with any platform.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 8.4-beta-8
Type:    System.NullReferenceException
Site:    System.Type GetType()
Source:  mscorlib

at System.Object.GetType()
   at PCSX2_Configurator.LaunchBoxPlugin.SetConfigureOnClick(EventHandler onConfigureClick)
   at PCSX2_Configurator.LaunchBoxPlugin.GetIsValidForGame(IGame selectedGame)
   at (AuditForm , Object , EventArgs )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.AuditForm.dataGridView_SelectionChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnSelectionChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.FlushSelectionChanged()
   at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.ClearSelection(Int32 columnIndexException, Int32 rowIndexException, Boolean selectExceptionElement)
   at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.SetAndSelectCurrentCellAddress(Int32 columnIndex, Int32 rowIndex, Boolean setAnchorCellAddress, Boolean validateCurrentCell, Boolean throughMouseClick, Boolean clearSelection, Boolean forceCurrentCellSelection)
   at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.MakeFirstDisplayedCellCurrentCell(Boolean includeNewRow)
   at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnHandleCreated(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCreate(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Recent Log:

9:16:59 PM Music.Prepare Start
   9:16:59 PM Music.Kill Start
   9:16:59 PM Music.Kill Finished
   9:16:59 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   9:16:59 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke
   9:17:03 PM Music.Prepare Start
   9:17:03 PM Music.Kill Start
   9:17:03 PM Music.Kill Finished
   9:17:03 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   9:17:03 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke
   9:17:09 PM Exception

8 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

@Jason Carr

Getting the following error any time I use the Audit tool. I have restarted Launchbox Next several times and it happens with any platform.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 8.4-beta-8
Type:    System.NullReferenceException
Site:    System.Type GetType()
Source:  mscorlib

at System.Object.GetType()
   at PCSX2_Configurator.LaunchBoxPlugin.SetConfigureOnClick(EventHandler onConfigureClick)
   at PCSX2_Configurator.LaunchBoxPlugin.GetIsValidForGame(IGame selectedGame)
   at (AuditForm , Object , EventArgs )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.AuditForm.dataGridView_SelectionChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnSelectionChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.FlushSelectionChanged()
   at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.ClearSelection(Int32 columnIndexException, Int32 rowIndexException, Boolean selectExceptionElement)
   at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.SetAndSelectCurrentCellAddress(Int32 columnIndex, Int32 rowIndex, Boolean setAnchorCellAddress, Boolean validateCurrentCell, Boolean throughMouseClick, Boolean clearSelection, Boolean forceCurrentCellSelection)
   at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.MakeFirstDisplayedCellCurrentCell(Boolean includeNewRow)
   at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnHandleCreated(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCreate(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Recent Log:

9:16:59 PM Music.Prepare Start
   9:16:59 PM Music.Kill Start
   9:16:59 PM Music.Kill Finished
   9:16:59 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   9:16:59 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke
   9:17:03 PM Music.Prepare Start
   9:17:03 PM Music.Kill Start
   9:17:03 PM Music.Kill Finished
   9:17:03 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   9:17:03 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke
   9:17:09 PM Exception

@Lordmonkus I just tried the audit here and its working just fine. There are references to the PCSX2 plugin in that error though which currently doesnt work with next anyway. Try moving the plugin out and testing again.

• Like 1

Strange behavior in LB-Next

If i add a game to an already populated system, once the games added and refreshed i have to scroll the window past the actual newly added game then scroll back for it to appear. I checked the exact same file in the original LB and was instantly find-able without having to scroll past the file i know i added.

Edit images for a rom seems to work the same way, if i add any images and set them to the correct section and then click ok, the image doesn't auto update to the newly added one (i have the correct selection set), i have to scroll the game off screen then back to the game to see the new image, and as before i tested the same thing in the normal LB and it worked fine with no scrolling needed.

Things i tried.

Delete the Cache, move the cache folder to another drive, reinstall LB.

Its as if there is no refresh on change/edits for me in LB Next, yet in Normal LB they function as normal.

I'm using the latest beta.

normal behavior.

LB-Orig.thumb.gif.f45216e35b1720fe7121bbba570965e1.gif

LB Next behavior.

LB-Next.thumb.gif.3cd120bbd215790bc7cfbd987bc2c72b.gif

Hope this helps, as i say adding games is the exact same thing as well, just doesn't seem to auto update. Just as an addition, also F5 refresh feels a lot different also, like its not doing the refresh, i had an image i had added and i tried to F5 and the image stayed on the previous image not even from the same selection, so i go to edit the game and the image was there set as the front box which is how i set my LB selections up, i hit OK and nothing changed still the 3DBox image, so i hit F5 and nothing happened, i scrolled the wheel and scrolled back up and bingo image changed to Front Box.

Edited by MadK9

I gave Skraper a quick test and after getting over the initial setup hurdles it seems like it could have some potential but I will have to look at it a bit more tomorrow.

My initial thoughts though are while it isn't terribly difficult to get up and running they need some documentation or at least a tutorial video. The only video I saw with a quick YouTube search was some Spanish or Portuguese one. I did manage to figure it out though and took a few tries to get things working the way I wanted to for the most part, still gonna do some more tinkering with it though. I certainly would not recommend anyone to run this on their working Launchbox setup without making a backup of it first or use it on a test install like I did, that way if it royally botches things up it's not a big deal.

While looking through the different options and seeing what it can download though I can certainly see a lot of potential with it. It has video and manual downloading and auto favoriting games based off their ratings. Another interesting thing I noticed and tried was an option to "Minimize Size" on the platform xml file which could come in handy for performance for some users. What this was reduces wasted characters and stuff in the xml file which made my test platforms (Atari 7800) xml significantly smaller at the cost of making the xml much more difficult for humans to read.

One thing I did notice that I did not like though I could have just missed a setting for it. I told it scrape my Atari 7800 platform which I only had 20 games imported but Skraper scraped and downloaded all the media for all the roms in the roms folder for it. I would much rather have had it only download the media for the games I had imported. Again though this could be an option that I just missed or just something not implemented yet since it is still a beta release.

• Like 1

Wow, never heard of Skraper before (nor know the creators and helpers from the emulation scene). In text sounds nice, although those pics of the program looked a little bit convoluted for my taste, how was your experience in terms of usability and gui Monkus? 

I cannot avoid to question from where are they scrapping their media and info originally, as I do not think they are building it up from scratch. 

I might check it out once I get home. Thanks Nyny for sharing. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kondorito said:

I cannot avoid to question from where are they scrapping their media and info originally, as I do not think they are building it up from scratch.

It appears to be pulling it from their site here: https://screenscraper.fr/

7 hours ago, Kondorito said:

how was your experience in terms of usability and gui Monkus?

It was "all right", I can't say it was great but I have seen and used much worse but it could have been better as well. There was zero documentation on their website or included with the software and like I said previously the one video I found on YouTube was in I believe Portuguese so I had no idea what was being said. I did have to wipe out my test platform (Atari 7800) a couple of times while I figured out what to turn on and off and make my own way through the UI.

All I can say about it is this. I won't be using it as a replacement for the built in Launchbox scraper anytime soon, Skraper doesn't on first look have any fine control over scraping individual games as I add them. Like I said in my previous post I used a small import of 7800 games in my test install of LB (20 games) and ran Skraper on it. It found all the data on the games just fine (except for homebrew which is expected) but at at the same time because I had to tell it where all my roms were it downloaded media for all of those games as well so that's a waste.

It seems built more for scraping entire collections and for that it appears to be quite powerful. If you were to just import a whole collection of games into LB without any metadata or media scraping in LB and then ran Skraper over it then it could be very interesting but I am really not all that interested in trying that out.

This software might find a use for some people but I am not one of them.

Anyways this is not the place for this discussion but it was an interesting experiment, if someone wants to make a separate thread about Skraper to discuss it by all means do so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

yeah I agree and I'm also one of those people who don't really care about that and probably use a bunch of peoples stuff without giving them credit of course in my defense I'm really not into the media creation scene and don't have a clue who makes what to even begin to know who to credit and if people take offense to that it is what it is and I don't know what to tell them.