LaunchBox Community Forums

Unified Redux

4 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

This is correct and also mostly by design for the Unified Redux theme. Those genres were originally made for the arcade playlists, and thus most of them are relatively arcade-specific. For that reason, loading up an NES genre, for example, will simply use the NES theme media.

If you'd like though, you can always add platform genre-specific media, or copy some of the existing media. For example, the new files would be called "Nintendo Entertainment System Strategy.png" for strategy NES games.

Understood, on the why and the fix. I had already started duplicating and/or renaming to address.  If auto-generated used same naming convention (since almost identical in most cases) or the graphics files were duplicated with console and arcade names then would save folks from redoing since in most cases genre's like "sci-fi" are not any different between arcade vs console.  Just trying to show off all the awesome work the graphics folks have done.  ? Just wanted to make sure there wasn't going to be an update that addressed before I mucked about.  

Thanks for all the work on this theme and LB, as well as continuing to add cool features.  Always amazes me the various parts and pieces that come together to make good front end.  

10 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

You can download them directly through LaunchBox, while you download game media. The EmuMovies "Video - Theme" option downloads the Hyperspin themes. The "Video - Gameplay" videos are the standard gameplay videos from EmuMovies.

Ok, I think I realise why I'm having issues downloading the videos through LB. I do not have a paid subscription to EmuMovies. 

This might be a stupid question, but there is Unified, Unified Redux and UnifiedRefried that I can see - which should I pick?

Redux is written by the creator of Launchbox so does this mean it's the defacto?

They don't seem all that different but they all seem to rely on plugins etc which sounds like the barrier to entry is a little higher than just whacking the theme in the theme folder, so would like thoughts before i embark!

Just now, vaderag said:

This might be a stupid question, but there is Unified, Unified Redux and UnifiedRefried that I can see - which should I pick?

Redux is written by the creator of Launchbox so does this mean it's the defacto?

They don't seem all that different but they all seem to rely on plugins etc which sounds like the barrier to entry is a little higher than just whacking the theme in the theme folder, so would like thoughts before i embark!

Unified by critical cid is the original theme, Jason then tweaked a few things in it to his liking and released it as unified redux, then retrohumanoid also edited the original unified to his liking while also making a ton of art for it and released it as unified refried. They are all based off of critical cids original with some variances here and there.

5 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Unified by critical cid is the original theme, Jason then tweaked a few things in it to his liking and released it as unified redux, then retrohumanoid also edited the original unified to his liking while also making a ton of art for it and released it as unified refried. They are all based off of critical cids original with some variances here and there.

So... which is the best one for an LB n00b to pick?

Both Unified Refried and Redux seems to be regularly updated, but the differences don't seem immediately clear (since they both compare to original unified)

IMO for a noob to use of those 3 themes you mentioned, I'd go with the Redux version.  It's the most up-to-date and is a single theme.  If you want to get really into it and use addon themes, etc. then the Refried theme is the way to go.  They do actually look different in many ways though, how the box/cd/cartridges are displayed, spinning disks, artwork, and wheel are different in each theme.  But, as I said Redux is a single theme, so might be easier to start with as it's just one theme to play with.  The Refried theme can also be used as a single theme, but it really starts to shine when you start using the addon themes, which would mean downloading multiple themes and then selecting different themes (the addons) for each platform... more complicated, not suggested for someone new to LB/BB imo... but worth it once you get comfortable with the intricacies of LB/BB and how to tweak it how you like.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CDBlue said:

IMO for a noob to use of those 3 themes you mentioned, I'd go with the Redux version.  It's the most up-to-date and is a single theme.  If you want to get really into it and use addon themes, etc. then the Refried theme is the way to go.  They do actually look different in many ways though, how the box/cd/cartridges are displayed, spinning disks, artwork, and wheel are different in each theme.  But, as I said Redux is a single theme, so might be easier to start with as it's just one theme to play with.  The Refried theme can also be used as a single theme, but it really starts to shine when you start using the addon themes, which would mean downloading multiple themes and then selecting different themes (the addons) for each platform... more complicated, not suggested for someone new to LB/BB imo... but worth it once you get comfortable with the intricacies of LB/BB and how to tweak it how you like.

Thanks, that's helpful.

Reading between the lines there it seems like you're saying that actually Refried is the BEST, but Redux is GOOD yet simpler to set up?
And if learning/time was no issue you'd recommend Refried?

27 minutes ago, vaderag said:

Thanks, that's helpful.

Reading between the lines there it seems like you're saying that actually Refried is the BEST, but Redux is GOOD yet simpler to set up?
And if learning/time was no issue you'd recommend Refried?

Well best is subjective, it just depends on what art you prefer and weather or not you want to mess with add-on themes.

Sorry, didn't get a chance to get back to the forums until I got home from work ;)  Yeah, for me personally I prefer the Refried version at the moment, but that's just because of all the cool addon themes available and great artwork/videos that go really well together, that RetroHumanoid added to his theme.  I find it really make BB shine for the platforms I have right now. But, as mentioned above it really comes down to one's tastes as far as which is "better".  FYI, I still have the Redux version installed, and often switch back and forth since they are both excellent themes.

I went with Retrohumanoid's Refried because having worked on the Unified theme in my Hyperspin days, I got really sick of looking at it. CriticalCid did a great job of porting it to Launchbox and it's a really great theme.

I just needed something fresh and I like that the Retrified theme has an option to have the wheel always show up instead of fading, Plus the wheel is straight, not curved like in the unified theme.

In the end it comes down to personal preference really.

8 hours ago, Styphelus said:

I went with Retrohumanoid's Refried because having worked on the Unified theme in my Hyperspin days, I got really sick of looking at it. CriticalCid did a great job of porting it to Launchbox and it's a really great theme.

I just needed something fresh and I like that the Retrified theme has an option to have the wheel always show up instead of fading, Plus the wheel is straight, not curved like in the unified theme.

In the end it comes down to personal preference really.

Thanks,

The fading wheel was a minor niggle (not to mention the fact that I am missing a load of genre, and system clear logos and videos which seem essential, despite syncing etc)

One related question I have is:

While I know it's possible to set up theme and view buttons to change for a specific system, the theme change seems buggy and mostly fails and the view change is quite slow so will take hours to go through every system...

Is there a text based (XML or similar I guess) way to set the theme/view per system to run through this and get an initial pass close?

14 hours ago, vaderag said:

Thanks,

The fading wheel was a minor niggle (not to mention the fact that I am missing a load of genre, and system clear logos and videos which seem essential, despite syncing etc)

One related question I have is:

While I know it's possible to set up theme and view buttons to change for a specific system, the theme change seems buggy and mostly fails and the view change is quite slow so will take hours to go through every system...

Is there a text based (XML or similar I guess) way to set the theme/view per system to run through this and get an initial pass close?

How/why does the theme change seem buggy? I'm not aware of any bugs with that feature and no issues have been reported on that in quite a long time.

The settings for theme and view are all in the platform and playlist XML files in the LaunchBox\Data folder.

12 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

How/why does the theme change seem buggy? I'm not aware of any bugs with that feature and no issues have been reported on that in quite a long time.

The settings for theme and view are all in the platform and playlist XML files in the LaunchBox\Data folder.

Thanks for the XML locations, I'll take a look

If I'm in a system and load the theme change, menu comes up fine, but I'd say only 1/8 times it actually successfully changes the theme...

On the first occasion, sometimes the second it doesn't crash, but usually after X attempts I get a freeze which requires an exit to get anywhere

8 minutes ago, MoonKnightFTW said:

yes....... but i only get generic options like vertical 1-4 

Vert Wheel 3 is the view for spinning disc. Do you have your cart front priorities set in Launchbox images setting in tools?

Maybe share a pic of your view settings in BigBox and what the game list view looks like.