LaunchBox Community Forums

9.1-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

Hey all, it looks like we'll be putting out a 9.1 fix release soon, mostly just because of some Big Box theme compatibility issues. The various Unified themes are having some issues with the new nested categories and playlists, and since they're some of the most popular themes we have, I felt that it was a priority to get them fixed up.

- Improvement: Added a new property called KnownPlatformOrPlaylistTitle for the Big Box games views; this property should help Big Box themes (Unified and potentially other themes) to be more compatible with the new nested categories and playlists. It will return either the parent platform name or the known arcade playlist name when on nested categories and playlists.

- Fixed: Automatically-populated playlists were showing duplicated games in some rare cases

Assuming this beta goes well, we'll push it out as an official release.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kondorito said:

Do the Unified theme creators need to update something on their end? I am using a custom version of Cid's Unified, and still in 8.9. If I update to 9 or 9.1, would that break the theme unless Cid changes something, or will it still be good to go?

I am currently working with both @CriticalCid and @RetroHumanoid on the themes. Yes, they will need to be updated, though the fix is very easy. We'll clarify here once we're all on the same page.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

You can certainly create a playlist for it. That would be the best option I think.

I was thinking about that, is it possible to define a different emulator when using a playlist? I thought playlists were sort of like a logical shortcut collection. 

run game from gameboy platform it will start gameboy emulator, run game from super gameboy playlist it will run as snes emulator? is it that simple? I'm simplifying it for the sake of argument. 

8 hours ago, Klopjero said:

I was thinking about that, is it possible to define a different emulator when using a playlist? I thought playlists were sort of like a logical shortcut collection. 

run game from gameboy platform it will start gameboy emulator, run game from super gameboy playlist it will run as snes emulator? is it that simple? I'm simplifying it for the sake of argument. 

Ah, good point. For the moment, no, it's not possible to use a different emulator if the game is in a playlist. So I guess you'd have to duplicate the games for now into a separate platform.

3 hours ago, quaigoner said:

Will issue with Dual-monitor setups be adressed? When you have two monitors with different resolutions Big Box will use only primary monitor resolution. Maybe add an option with Fullscreen? Not a windowed borderless fullscreen. Thanks.

This is still on my list, though it doesn't affect all systems, even if the resolution is different between the two monitors. It seems to be driver-specific, which is why it's been difficult to resolve. Thanks for the reminder, though; hopefully I can look at it again soon.

12 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Ah, good point. For the moment, no, it's not possible to use a different emulator if the game is in a playlist. So I guess you'd have to duplicate the games for now into a separate platform.

hence

21 hours ago, Klopjero said:

how about generating a super gameboy platform from gameboy / gameboy color? is that feasable ? @Jason Carr

Thanks for the time :)

16 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

This is still on my list, though it doesn't affect all systems, even if the resolution is different between the two monitors. It seems to be driver-specific, which is why it's been difficult to resolve. Thanks for the reminder, though; hopefully I can look at it again soon. 

I'd like the dual monitor issue addressed also. Great to have a second monitor showing a differnt artwork (e.g. Marquee) in BigBox, though would be super nice to have this option in Launchbox too!

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 4:10 AM, Klopjero said:

how about generating a super gameboy platform from gameboy / gameboy color? is that feasable ? @Jason Carr

You can create it manually (That's what I did with my Neo Geo Pocket / Color hybrid platform), and add the platform info and specs from Wiki.
Re-import the Super Game Boy compatible games in this new made platform (forcing dupes), and scrape them as Game Boy. Same process for the GBC games import afterwards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kondorito said:

You can create it manually (That's what I did with my Neo Geo Pocket / Color hybrid platform), and add the platform info and specs from Wiki.
Re-import the Super Game Boy compatible games in this new made platform (forcing dupes), and scrape them as Game Boy. Same process for the GBC games import afterwards.

That's what I have currently done. however as a feature it would save future users some time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ALIE said:

in launchbox My platform category seems to have messed up completely it shows the platforms instead.

big box shows me a mix of platforms and playlist and categories but all says no games.

That's a new one. I'll take a look @ALIE if you can zip up and PM me your LaunchBox\Data folder.

Just upgraded to 9.0. In Platform Category view it's really awesome to be able to easily nest auto generated play mode lists for multi player games. couple things about it though. you have to right click each and every platform you want to do this for. i was hoping i could right click the top level nodes to have it create auto play mode lists for all my platforms rather than one by one. i also noticed in the first one i tried this on in my Arcade platform that i use Image Group = Screenshots, that the auto generated playlists do not retain the image group view since they were set with Box when it should have been Screenshot. in any case, i really love this feature. thank you.

Do you think it would be possible to add the ability to launch a program directly from BigBox Platform Menu? I think it would be a very useful feature because then Kodi, or whatever window program, for instance, could be launched without the need to be part of a platform. Also, the ability to add favorites while Big Box is Locked, Rate it, and Mark as broken would also be useful features.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thedyingteddy said:

Do you think it would be possible to add the ability to launch a program directly from BigBox Platform Menu? I think it would be a very useful feature because then Kodi, or whatever window program, for instance, could be launched without the need to be part of a platform. Also, the ability to add favorites while Big Box is Locked, Rate it, and Mark as broken would also be useful features.

Yes to all of this! I literally was thinking of asking for these features the other day. I’d love to have programs/games in the root category. Having the ability to add to favorites, rate, and mark as broken while locked is also high on my list of features I’d love.