LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android 0.6 Beta Released!

Jason Carr

I agree on the arcade/mame.. thats my dream right there since its where i basically grew up.. but another question... im having no luck running just the android/data from sd card only, even having the lb app running from sd card. is this a future update so i can add more roms from external storage? thanks for everything man!!!

I'm unable to get any emulator to play on Nvidia Shield. I have all the cores in retroarch, I go to launch through launchbox it will open retroarch but then it just hangs there on a black screen. No matter the platform, I get this error (I'm sure it's something on Retroarch's end, not positive) I have also scanned these games into retroarch from the same folder location that LBA uses and they launch from within Retroarch without a hitch.  *scratching my head*  I also tried launching PSP through LBA using PPSSPP gold and get "an error occurred while trying to load the game/emulator:
Unable to find explicit activity class {org.ppsspp.ppssppgold/org.ppsspp.ppssppgold.ppssppactivity}; have you declared this activity in your AndroidManifest.xml?"  error.

Edited by Skidda420

2 hours ago, Skidda420 said:

I'm unable to get any emulator to play on Nvidia Shield. I have all the cores in retroarch, I go to launch through launchbox it will open retroarch but then it just hangs there on a black screen. No matter the platform, I get this error (I'm sure it's something on Retroarch's end, not positive) I have also scanned these games into retroarch from the same folder location that LBA uses and they launch from within Retroarch without a hitch.  *scratching my head*  I also tried launching PSP through LBA using PPSSPP gold and get "an error occurred while trying to load the game/emulator:
Unable to find explicit activity class {org.ppsspp.ppssppgold/org.ppsspp.ppssppgold.ppssppactivity}; have you declared this activity in your AndroidManifest.xml?"  error.

I had the same problem with a black screen in Retroarch after updating Launchbox. 

I reinstalled Retroarch and now it works.

• Like 1

Need some help. I already setup and import the games but I noticed two problem. 

1. Games not auto loaded. It will go to the emulator app and doesn't load automatically. Doesn't work with retroarch or other emulator that i tried.

2. Games image not shown, my SNES import didn't have any image folder when imported and some of my 64 games are not showing image in the app.

Device installed Xiaomi Mia1.

14 hours ago, Kmetz7547 said:

I agree on the arcade/mame.. thats my dream right there since its where i basically grew up.. but another question... im having no luck running just the android/data from sd card only, even having the lb app running from sd card. is this a future update so i can add more roms from external storage? thanks for everything man!!!

SD cards should be working, and are in my testing. What device are you using? What is happening exactly when you export to the SD card?

13 hours ago, Kmetz7547 said:

Question 2... What about being able to stream retro games? Like from your own at home collection? Is this a possibility in the future as everything seems to be going in that direction?

We're honestly a long ways off from that, but there are existing solutions, such as the Steam Link. I know there are issues with that solution, though; I believe they can be solved but it may be kind of finicky. I can see us doing that eventually, but it's a major challenge and we're not going to be able to focus on something like that for quite a while.

12 hours ago, KiLeAk said:

0.14 - added 4.4 support for original GPD XD users! You sir, are a bloody legend!

(Shame I bought a new GPD XD yesterday - didn't think you would add it! ?

Haha, sorry I didn't get it in there quite fast enough. I haven't tested it on Kit Kat because I don't have any Kit Kat devices, so let me know how it works. :)

7 hours ago, Skidda420 said:

I believe we do have a problem with PPSSPP, so I'll get that fixed. For Retroarch, though, everything is tested and working fine. I would say uninstall it and reinstall the latest version from the Play Store, and see if that fixes it.

2 hours ago, kharil85 said:

Need some help. I already setup and import the games but I noticed two problem. 

1. Games not auto loaded. It will go to the emulator app and doesn't load automatically. Doesn't work with retroarch or other emulator that i tried.

2. Games image not shown, my SNES import didn't have any image folder when imported and some of my 64 games are not showing image in the app.

Device installed Xiaomi Mia1.

Per #1, what other emulators have you tried? Try uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version of Retroarch to see if that fixes the problem. What version of Android are you running on your device?

Per #2, usually this means that the file copy operation did not complete when copying files over to your device. Check the "/Android/data/com.unbrokensoftware.launchbox/files/LaunchBox/Images/Super Nintendo Entertainment System/Box - Front - Thumb" folder to see if the images are missing from that folder. If so, it looks like the copy operation did not complete successfully. That could also be causing issue #1 if ROM files are missing as well.

2 minutes ago, Lamaman1971 said:

Has anyone tried NeoGeo? I noticed, despite having Retroarch, that Launchbox recommended an alternate emulator from the Play Store - is that normal?

I have not yet tested Neo Geo. Currently, the app does not parse the system to see what all emulators are installed; it just recommends a default based on what we think works the best. That recommendation may not be the best though.

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

I have not yet tested Neo Geo. Currently, the app does not parse the system to see what all emulators are installed; it just recommends a default based on what we think works the best. That recommendation may not be the best though.

Can I change the default? I cant seem to change the option despite having all the correct retroarch cores?

Edited by Lamaman1971

1 minute ago, Kmetz7547 said:

I place the android folder in my sd and downloaded lb and transferred the app to sd. Then when I run a game , I get a invalid path error. When I transfer the android folder to my phone storage though, the roms run fine

If you can help, I need more details on this. If possible, I need the exact error message and I need to know exactly where that error is coming up. On game launch? Or loading the app?

7 minutes ago, Lamaman1971 said:

Can I change the default? I cant seem to change the option despite having all the correct retroarch cores?

Hmm, it looks like perhaps we haven't marked "Neo Geo" as a platform that works with Retroarch. What is your platform name called exactly? Neo Geo is technically Arcade, so there is some confusion there.

4 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Hmm, it looks like perhaps we haven't marked "Neo Geo" as a platform that works with Retroarch. What is your platform name called exactly? Neo Geo is technically Arcade, so there is some confusion there.

Ill Check - I think it MVS NeoGeo. I tend to use the FBA Core for those.

image.thumb.png.5ca3be3070d3c261455417eafa589791.pngI got the above error when copying over GBA games. To workaround, I just cancel the copy, rename the file (took out the languages listed in the file name) and it then worked. Happened with multiple GBA files (very verbose names it seems). But just wanted to raise in case you want to put in some helpful error handling. 

Thanks. 

Sorry to be a pest - one observation from last night I had we with respect to MAME. On my launchbox I use MAME 2.01 and the consequence of that is that the export to Android dumps a bunch of ROMS which are not going to work with android Retroarch - at least thats my experience so far. So to use the export you probably need to ensure you are using an older version of MAME that has compatible cores in Retroarch. Does that make sense? This is all speculation as I havent gotten Arcade stuff working yet.