LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android 0.6 Beta Released!

Jason Carr

1 hour ago, Kmetz7547 said:

LOADS FINE USING PROVIDED EMULATORS:

AMSTRAD CPC . (Retroarch - cap32_libretro_android.so)

ATARI 2600 . (Retroarch - stella_libretro_android.so)

ATARI 7800 . (Retroarch - prosystem_libretro_android.so)

ATARI JAGUAR . (Retroarch - virtualjaguar_libretro_android.so)

ATARI LYNX . (Retroarch - handy_libretro_android.so)

BANDAI WONDERSWAN . (Retroarch - mednafen_wswan_libretro_android.so)

BANDAI WONDERSWAN COLOR . (Retroarch - mednafen_wswan_libretro_android.so)

COMMODORE 64 . (Retroarch - vice_x64_libretro_android.so)

NINTENDO 64 . (Retroarch - mupen64plus_next_libretro_android.so)

NINTENDO DS . (DraStic)

NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT CENTER . (Retroarch - nestopia_libretro_android.so)

NINTENDO GAMEBOY . (Retroarch - gambatte_libretro_android.so)

NINTENDO GAMEBOY ADVANCE . (Retroarch - mgba_libretro_android.so)

NINTENDO GAMEBOY COLOR . (Retroarch - gambatte_libretro_android.so)

SEGA 32X . (Retroarch - picodrive_libretro_android.so)

SEGA DREAMCAST . (Retroarch - flycast_libretro_android.so)

SEGA GAMEGEAR . (Retroarch - genesis_plus_gx_libretro_android.so)

SEGA GENESIS. (Retroarch - genesis_plus_gx_libretro_android.so)

SEGA MASTER SYSTEM . (Retroarch - genesis_plus_gx_libretro_android.so)

SEGA SG-1000 . (Retroarch - genesis_plus_gx_libretro_android.so)

SINCLAIR ZX SPECTRUM . (Retroarch - fuse_libretro_android.so)

SONY PLAYSTATION . (Retroarch - pcsx_rearmed_libretro_android.so)

SONY PSP . (PPSSPP)

SUPER NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM. ((Retroarch - snes9x_libretro_android.so)

PROBLEMS :

ATARI 5200 - Emulation Halted Error  (In Emulator)   (Retroarch - atari800_libretro_android.so)

BALLY ASTROCADE - Black Screen   (Retroarch - mess2015_libretro_android.so)

COMODORE AMIGA - Black Screen   (Retroarch - puae_libretro_android.so)

EMERSON ARCADIA 2001 - Black Screen  (Retroarch - mess2015_libretro_android.so)

GCE VECTREX - Black Screen   (Retroarch - vecx_libretro_android.so)

MAGNAVOX ODYSSEY 2 - Black Screen   (Retroarch - o2em_libretro_android.so)

MATTEL INTELLIVISION - Black Screen   (Retroarch - freeintv_libretro_android.so)

MICROSOFT MSX - Retroarch Crash   (Retroarch - bluemsx_libretro_android.so)          Black Screen   (Retroarch - fmsx_libretro_android.so)

MICROSOFT MSX 2 - Retroarch Crash   (Retroarch - bluemsx_libretro_android.so)          Black Screen   (Retroarch - fmsx_libretro_android.so)

NINTENDO GAMECUBE - No Available Emulator   

NINTENDO SUPER FAMICOM - No Available Emulator

NINTENDO VIRTUAL BOY - Error Occured (booting)   (Retroarch - mednafen_vb_libretro_android.so)

SEGA SATURN - Loads with Visual Glitches   (Retroarch - yabause_libretro_android.so)

SONY PLAYSTATION 2 - Wont Load   (Retroarch - play_libretro_android.so)

Great work! Just wondering, all of those non-working retroarch cores, are they working at all without the use of LaunchBox?

• Like 1

These all boot up fine on my hawual p20 pro. 

No in game testing yet, waiting on my new saitake 7007X to arrive. 

But have ran touch controls at least once. 

Has anyone tested classic boy for psx etc. 

Screenshot_20190903_071009_com.unbrokensoftware.launchbox.jpg

Screenshot_20190903_071028_com.unbrokensoftware.launchbox.jpg

Screenshot_20190903_071039_com.unbrokensoftware.launchbox.jpg

Screenshot_20190903_070920_com.unbrokensoftware.launchbox.jpg

Screenshot_20190903_070932_com.unbrokensoftware.launchbox.jpg

Screenshot_20190903_070944_com.unbrokensoftware.launchbox.jpg

Screenshot_20190903_070958_com.unbrokensoftware.launchbox.jpg

Edited by Mu144
Spelling
  • Like 1

The new version list out lot of not games app in Android list. Could you add option to hide this app or delete it.

Due to limited space I have to delete some of the roms to fit in my phone, however I forgot to delete the image. Now there are lot of games but no rom in my list of games. Could you add a function that auto delete games in that list that has no rom.

@Jason Carr

Could you hinder that zipped games are extracted before loading? Because on my computer the zip files are loaded directly and the save files are named after the zip file and not the game file in the archive.

I want to synchronize my save folder on the computer with my folder on my android device. But the save files are not compatible at the moment because Retroarch is looking for the game file name and not the zip file.

I think that this has nothing to do with retroarch on android because in retroarch i can load the games without extracting.

EDIT: Nevermind, I did not see that there is a new version that solved my problem. Thanks. :D

Edited by deliyuerek85

I have another problem. Since the game loading screen has been added launchbox is loosing focus after returning back to LB from a game and I can not control it with my controller. In need to go out of the platform per touchscreen and go back in. Then I can control it again with the controller.

8 hours ago, bundangdon said:

Great work! Just wondering, all of those non-working retroarch cores, are they working at all without the use of LaunchBox?

I'm getting the same results with just retroarch.. I'm guessing we need to add some other emulator support as I can get alot of these running with the use of separate emus besides androids retroarch

2 minutes ago, Kmetz7547 said:

I'm getting the same results with just retroarch.. I'm guessing we need to add some other emulator support as I can get alot of these running with the use of separate emus besides androids retroarch

Indeed. The cores you mentioned, especially MESS2015, are very tricky and sometimes very frustrating to get working within Retroarch. Also, for some cores like freeintv, you need to have the necessary bios files in the system folder in order for Retroarch to work properly

Edited by bundangdon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Kmetz7547 said:

Also, I am noticing when I try and add more games to a specific system, retroarch isnt picking up all my games. I try uninstalling and reinstalling but still only picks up initial games. Is this just me?

Sega Saturn for instance.....

Screenshot_20190903-084154.jpg

Screenshot_20190903-084131_ES File Explorer Pro.jpg

Have you tried 7z instead od rar files. 

I'm only using 7z and I'm not seeing this issue on up dating the packet. 

43 minutes ago, Kmetz7547 said:

Also, I am noticing when I try and add more games to a specific system, retroarch isnt picking up all my games. I try uninstalling and reinstalling but still only picks up initial games. Is this just me?

I had this issue. So I think what's happening is that when you try to copy over additional games for an existing platform in Android Launchbox, the [Sega Saturn].xml file (in Data\Platforms) does not merge with the existing file. I guess it doesn't overwrite so that's why you only see original games.

What you could try is, in desktop, select all the games that you have already copied to Android for export again. Then just copy over the Sega Saturn.xml file that was created to the Data\Platforms folder in Android. This should allow you to see all those games in Launchbox - they should already work ok in Retroarch now though.

I imagine that for the mess issue that LB isn't feeding it the system specific name and media call so it doesn't start any of the systems. ie coleco -cart probably isn't being passed along to RA so it wouldn't work to start any Colecovision games.

18 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Fixed missing games issue from Android platform; due to the poor classification of games vs. apps on Android, some apps may show up now, but at least all games will be included. Eventually you'll be able to hide apps that you don't want displayed.

@ALIE This is on the radar and you will eventually be able to hide those

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mu144 said:

Can someone breakdown the the file format for dreamcast, psp and and psx. 

Just moved files from my LB main and none are booting. Do I need bios? 

Do They Boot from your Launchbox on PC?  If so, then u have everything u need for these 3 systems.. 

Download Emulators Retroarch and PPSSPP from the google play store and use these cores

SEGA DREAMCAST . (Retroarch - flycast_libretro_android.so)

SONY PSP . (PPSSPP)  

SONY PLAYSTATION . (Retroarch - pcsx_rearmed_libretro_android.so)

On 9/2/2019 at 2:23 PM, Kmetz7547 said:

PROBLEMS :

ATARI 5200 - Emulation Halted Error  (In Emulator)

BALLY ASTROCADE - Black Screen

COMODORE AMIGA - Black Screen

EMERSON ARCADIA 2001 - Black Screen

GCE VECTREX - Black Screen

MAGNAVOX ODYSSEY 2 - Black Screen

MATTEL INTELLIVISION - Black Scren

MICROSOFT MSX - Retroarch Crash

MICROSOFT MSX 2 - Retroarch Crash

NINTENDO VIRTUAL BOY - Error Occured (booting)

SEGA SATURN - Loads with Visual Glitches

SONY PLAYSTATION 2 - Wont Load

Thank you very much for all the testing. For these particular issues, please let me know what emulator/core was used and not working. I would say that most of these issues are most likely emulator issues, but if there is something for us to fix in LaunchBox for Android, it would be good to know that.

On 9/2/2019 at 2:25 PM, Kmetz7547 said:

Side note ,

I have uploaded my sony psp minis and the app sees them but provides no emulator..

ppsspp works with these so could this be updated on a future release?

Thanks, back to testing....

Gotcha; I just added the Sony PSP Minis platform in for the next Android beta.

On 9/2/2019 at 2:31 PM, Mu144 said:

OK cool I had DraStic installed already and figured it was an option because of this. 

Good to know its an option its a solid loader. 

I set up a new launchbox to try platforms because pulling from my collection took to long. 

What are the current systems compatible? 

The exporter should tell you what systems are compatible if you select the option to export your whole collection.

20 hours ago, Kmetz7547 said:

PROBLEMS :

ATARI 5200 - Emulation Halted Error  (In Emulator)   (Retroarch - atari800_libretro_android.so)

BALLY ASTROCADE - Black Screen   (Retroarch - mess2015_libretro_android.so)

COMODORE AMIGA - Black Screen   (Retroarch - puae_libretro_android.so)

EMERSON ARCADIA 2001 - Black Screen  (Retroarch - mess2015_libretro_android.so)

GCE VECTREX - Black Screen   (Retroarch - vecx_libretro_android.so)

MAGNAVOX ODYSSEY 2 - Black Screen   (Retroarch - o2em_libretro_android.so)

MATTEL INTELLIVISION - Black Screen   (Retroarch - freeintv_libretro_android.so)

MICROSOFT MSX - Retroarch Crash   (Retroarch - bluemsx_libretro_android.so)          Black Screen   (Retroarch - fmsx_libretro_android.so)

MICROSOFT MSX 2 - Retroarch Crash   (Retroarch - bluemsx_libretro_android.so)          Black Screen   (Retroarch - fmsx_libretro_android.so)

NINTENDO VIRTUAL BOY - Error Occured (booting)   (Retroarch - mednafen_vb_libretro_android.so)

SEGA SATURN - Loads with Visual Glitches   (Retroarch - yabause_libretro_android.so)

SONY PLAYSTATION 2 - Wont Load   (Retroarch - play_libretro_android.so) 

Thanks for this; sorry, I hadn't yet seen it before my previous reply.

The next question is whether these systems are working without LaunchBox, but looking above it looks like the answer is no. In some cases, it could be because of missing BIOS files, or incompatible ROMs, or something of that nature (even could be a glitch with Retroarch on Android for that core).

If anyone knows of good, working emulators for these platforms on Android, please let me know, and I can add them in.

13 hours ago, kharil85 said:

The new version list out lot of not games app in Android list. Could you add option to hide this app or delete it.

Due to limited space I have to delete some of the roms to fit in my phone, however I forgot to delete the image. Now there are lot of games but no rom in my list of games. Could you add a function that auto delete games in that list that has no rom.

Per my previous release post for 0.16, unfortunately Android does not provide an accurate method to determine what is and is not a game. There is a game classification, but unfortunately not all games are properly classified as games. So determining what is and is not a game is basically an impossible thing to do accurately, sadly.

In previous versions, I was only showing games that were properly classified as a game, but I noticed that lots of games that I had installed were not showing up, so I had to include unclassified apps as well (though I've heavily filtered down the list to not include a bunch of system apps and such). Eventually, I will add an option to hide things manually, but it will probably be a bit yet.

Per auto-deleting games that don't exist, it'll probably be a long time before we add something like that. I think first off, we need to add the ability to add, edit, and delete games directly on Android before we look to auto-delete games.

10 hours ago, deliyuerek85 said:

I have another problem. Since the game loading screen has been added launchbox is loosing focus after returning back to LB from a game and I can not control it with my controller. In need to go out of the platform per touchscreen and go back in. Then I can control it again with the controller.

Ah, I'll look into that. What device and controller are you using?

9 hours ago, Kmetz7547 said:

Awesome, if you can provide a list of those separate emulators, that'd be great. Then I can add them in and recommend them for users.

9 hours ago, Kmetz7547 said:

Screenshot_20190903-084154.jpg

Screenshot_20190903-084131_ES File Explorer Pro.jpg

Currently the exporter only allows adding an entire platform at a time. If you attempt to add games to an existing platform, it will overwrite the current platform XML file, and thus you'll only have the new games. Basically, if you need to modify a platform, you'll need to re-export the entire platform.

8 hours ago, DOS76 said:

I imagine that for the mess issue that LB isn't feeding it the system specific name and media call so it doesn't start any of the systems. ie coleco -cart probably isn't being passed along to RA so it wouldn't work to start any Colecovision games.

Ah, good to know. I don't even know how we'd do that on Android. I should go through the list of platforms that use MESS in Retroarch and probably disable them for now (or figure it out).

7 hours ago, ALIE said:

@Jason Carr latest Beta finds added a lot of apps that isn't games. I see no way off removing them? 

Yes, this is a known issue (see above). Android doesn't really provide a good solution.

5 hours ago, Owningle said:

When do you think we will be able to add games without using the PC? just wondering since i already have all my roms on my phone as i was using the DIG frontend, would like to be able to select where my roms are located in the app.

It will probably be a while yet, as it's a major job. It will be a priority, but considering the amount of work required, it'll probably be a couple months at least.

Just uploaded version 0.17 to the Play Store with the following:

• Added Sony PSP Minis platform to valid emulators
  • Fixed an issue where controllers were sometimes not working after returning to LaunchBox from a game
  • Temporarily removed the MESS core option for Retroarch as it is not launching properly
  • Fixed the message box that comes up if no data is found to only show up on initial launch, instead of every time LaunchBox is resumed

Hopefully Google makes it live soon. There's not a whole lot of new/fixed stuff for this release, but I figured that the controller bug was important enough to warrant a release today.