LaunchBox Community Forums

COLORFUL bigbox theme

viking

On 2/22/2023 at 8:26 PM, faeran said:

This is due to the differences of older CTC versions vs. CTC 2.5. The main one is that the CTC now supports a different style wheel, and has removed the ability to create the older wheels that this theme was based off of. You would have to play around with the new wheel templates to get the same effects as the original theme.

It also does look like you may be missing some fonts. If you feel you have installed the fonts from the Fonts theme folder properly, you'll need to restart the CTC before it recognizes that you have them installed.

@faeran Thanks, I managed now regarding wheels. My target was to edit the theme to add scanlines and I got it. I just didn´t figure out how to let the scanline not visible with platform conditions. For ex. I don´t want the scanlines for Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii U platforms and I can´t see variables where I can choose from. Or do I need really to create a second view without the scanlines and manage it on big box? But in this case I can´t create a second TextGamesView, right?

1 hour ago, mtib said:

I just didn´t figure out how to let the scanline not visible with platform conditions. For ex. I don´t want the scanlines for Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii U platforms and I can´t see variables where I can choose from. Or do I need really to create a second view without the scanlines and manage it on big box? But in this case I can´t create a second TextGamesView, right?

If I'm understanding your question correctly, on the main CTC screen (not in the editor itself), you should be able to click "Default" at the bottom middle where it says "Configuration: Default" and select the platforms that you want to be different. I'd right click on the default, copy, and paste the view to the different platforms you plan on editing and only editing the scanlines just to save time.

6 minutes ago, blattacker said:

If I'm understanding your question correctly, on the main CTC screen (not in the editor itself), you should be able to click "Default" at the bottom middle where it says "Configuration: Default" and select the platforms that you want to be different. I'd right click on the default, copy, and paste the view to the different platforms you plan on editing and only editing the scanlines just to save time.

Actually I meant as a conditional, right here, I cannot go further than that:

image.thumb.png.7c4faa21c83c88bd6f6056a30bf15830.png

18 hours ago, blattacker said:

Oh, if you're going from a conditional, it looks like you've selected a UI element when you mean to select a metadata field. I believe the one you'd be looking for in that case would be "Game Platform". 

Thanks, it works now as expected.

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, kobaturtle said:

@viking Do you still have the CTC files of 2.03 theme release?

I made a custom theme from previous release and I have random bugs while coming back from game details view (like theme video not starting or sometimes left menu placement gap)

4 hours ago, viking said:

@kobaturtle No, I did not keep the CTC archives. :ph34r: But maybe @faeran does?

I updated the CTC files. You'll have to tell me whether they are correct, as it's been a while since I did the 2.03 update.

On 12/20/2022 at 8:43 AM, viking said:

OK. Time for a concept update. 🚀
As a reminder: v3 of the theme has not started its development! Still in the concept and Photoshop mockup stage.
I take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback. Even if I don't include them all, they are all useful!

Sorry in advance: this is going to be a long post!

PLATFORM :
I've done a lot of them. Much more than the 4 view limit.
I really hope this limit will be lifted by a future update!  🤞 ( @Jason Carr ;) )

PlatformWheel1FiltersView
PlatformWheel1FiltersView.thumb.jpg.482f01ef5d5b9a849561931367ca4aaf.jpg
Video background.
The original view, modernized.

PlatformWheel2FiltersView
PlatformWheel2FiltersView.thumb.jpg.406d6cab3bc29d82d96b3c86d71ca559.jpg
Video background.
Same, with wheel always visible. I don't think it's useful. It will probably disappear...

PlatformWheel3FiltersView
PlatformWheel3FiltersView.thumb.jpg.adefaa227cfca404be04935e99abf06b.jpg
Video background.
The original view, modernized.
It is really this variant of "box" design that I prefer 😃

PlatformWheel4FiltersView
PlatformWheel4FiltersView.thumb.jpg.0e0da6620584f8ee0e07c697f404ff64.jpg
Video background.
The same, in dark design. I would like to merge the 2 versions (lite + dark) into one theme. It would be much easier to maintain!

PlatformWheel5FiltersView
PlatformWheel5FiltersView.thumb.jpg.0b6d6997181bef416b827ef7faa7b789.jpg
PNG hardware.
Views to take advantage of the new wheel.  Dark version.

PlatformWheel6FiltersView
PlatformWheel6FiltersView.thumb.jpg.bf0fa35dcb80fd74870a90ae0b140b60.jpg
PNG hardware.
Views to take advantage of the new wheel.  Lite version.

PlatformWheel7FiltersView
PlatformWheel7FiltersView.thumb.jpg.2aa54ec780b9e06a5dc4d961c6627a0e.jpg
Views to take advantage of the new wheel.

PlatformWheel8FiltersView
PlatformWheel8FiltersView.thumb.jpg.b28f09fe7ab1cda1c33dfe9f36a3c53c.jpg
PNG hardware.
Just some adjustments on my favorite view. No video. No centering. Just simplicity!
I started to make a logo set for the manufacturers, but the ratio is not always good. And some are impossible to get in good resolution.
So a large text in the background seems more consistent.

PlatformWheel9FiltersView
PlatformWheel9FiltersView.thumb.jpg.b55e1bcbccb7a90b784884b073404455.jpg
PNG hardware.
Another quick test.  😃 Quick and snappy UI.

PlatformWheel10FiltersView (or  TextPlatformView  if it's possible ?)
PlatformWheel10FiltersView.thumb.jpg.b7cc25c058b86aeece9fadb607d242fd.jpg
PNG hardware.
Big bold text and that's it ^^ Love this one to !

GAMESVIEW
OK, let's see what we can do with the GamesView. Here, no problem of number limit!

WheelGamesView
WheelGamesView.thumb.jpg.77ff6a2c4bf24590a83a10fe02e7af37.jpg
Video Background
Legacy view, modernized. To avoid having to manage a lite and dark version : we switch to color !

Wheel2GamesView
Wheel2GamesView.thumb.jpg.2dbf924a5d03388c7aba9705ffe8450e.jpg
Fanart or gameplay image background.
A very simple view. The idea being to privilege the speed and the ergonomics of the interface.

HorizontalWheel1GamesView
HorizontalWheel1GamesView.thumb.jpg.2239f2ab49d9b01aa2c28bda9d305dcc.jpg
Modernization of an old concept.

HorizontalWheel2GamesView
HorizontalWheel2GamesView.thumb.jpg.5023e908019f17a3a90e8ffa00575fee.jpg
Small game with the cartridge front and the new wheel.

HorizontalWheel3GamesView
HorizontalWheel3GamesView.thumb.jpg.ce5eeba9c804aadca5f2e0914ce6aa85.jpg
More "TV" style. Like Netflix. Not sure here =/

HorizontalWheel4GamesView
HorizontalWheel4GamesView.thumb.jpg.594e190a1945fb21b425f44d21213a11.jpg
More "TV" style. Like Netflix. I prefer this one!

WallGamesView
WallGamesView.thumb.jpg.101151e1fc047eee5051f804b4af347d.jpg

Wall2GamesView
Wall2GamesView.thumb.jpg.cc5dfa44a6038aabd9db35c0125a8a8e.jpg

Wall3GamesView
Wall3GamesView.thumb.jpg.ad72a3407c6ce005d8b8ad47d85de232.jpg
Really not sure about this one. Too few items visible on the screen. Video on the top right.

The most difficult one will remain: TextGamesView
Not easy because it is the funnel. Everything ends on this view !

I look forward to your comments!
Thank you for reading to the end :x

Are these various views available now or are they going to be included in a future update of the theme?

• 2 weeks later...

I added Teknoparrot as a platform, the platform view is green but the game menu is black with green lettering. I downloaded the CTC but have no idea what file to load to edit the background color.  Also I see no way to load the big box theme in the CTC I just see a bunch of random UI elements that don't match what I'm seeing. (don't hate me for being dumb lol)

CTCeditor.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2019 at 7:21 AM, wallmachine said:

when scrolling the wheel you might want to add the option to turn off the selected game video audio as the video is hidden i instinctively keep looking for a video not there, just a thought.

On 12/15/2019 at 7:26 AM, viking said:

Yes, I know. But I think I can't do nothing for this. The wheel is code as a overlay, not a seperate view. That's why video turn in background, unless a new video was load. I make some research !

Looks like this is fixed in recent releases of the theme, at least with platforms. Now, when you scroll away, the video stops playing even if a new one hasn't started yet (ie you can't hear the audio continuing in the background anymore). However, the problem remains once you're within a platform and are browsing through games (ie a video starts, and doesn't stop even through the user is now scrolling between games. You can still hear the audio, until a new video starts playing). I'd love to see the issue fixed in the game view as well! 

Amazing work as always!

• 2 months later...

hello, I have a problem with the background hardware images, I think some of them don't appear because they don't match the platform name, I renamed them but it's still the same, how could I fix that without having to change the name of my platforms?
sorry for my english, i use translator 😅

On 8/4/2023 at 9:40 PM, CutTheRug said:

I'm not sure what PlatformVideo you're talking about. The theme is designed to be used with my video set. But that's not a technical prerequisite. You can use any video set.

24 minutes ago, Aniv Cuderoes said:

hello, I have a problem with the background hardware images, I think some of them don't appear because they don't match the platform name, I renamed them but it's still the same, how could I fix that without having to change the name of my platforms?

Yes, it's impossible for me to cover all the custom names. I've put in a few, like the classic "Nintendo NES". For the others, you have the right method: you have to rename the .PNG file with exactly the name of your platform.
For example : 
from
 > Launchbox/Themes/Colorful - Light/Media/Hardware Set/  Super Nintendo Entertainment System.png
to
 > Launchbox/Themes/Colorful - Light/Media/Hardware Set/  Nintendo SNES.png   (Exactly the name you use)

If it still doesn't work, maybe you're using accents or special characters that are causing problems?

34 minutes ago, Aniv Cuderoes said:

As long as you rename name the correct images to match exactly how your platform is named in LB it should work. You may need to go into BB settings and refresh the image cache.

11 hours ago, viking said:

I'm not sure what PlatformVideo you're talking about. The theme is designed to be used with my video set. But that's not a technical prerequisite. You can use any video set.

Okay, I think I figured it out, and sorry if I didn't explain myself correctly. I think in the past a user named @eatkinola made a theme based on your nostalgia video set that was also called Nostalgia [https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/41137-nostalgia/]. I think this theme used still images from your resource files, but with a transparent screen. Then within the screen, it would only play videos from your own launch box library.

I'll ask in the resource thread to see if anyone can help me insert games from my launchbox library into the television somehow. I'm trying to do it myself on Davinci Resolve, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the new videos below the reflection and drop shadow layers. I'm probably using the alpha channel wrong, but I don't really know how to do this stuff haha.

Thanks again for all your amazing contributions!