LaunchBox Community Forums

COLORFUL bigbox theme

viking

• 3 weeks later...

!! THEME UPDATE !!

Massive thx to @faeran ! :x

Already available on the download page + on the BigBox theme manager (pending validation)
(Prefer to use the BigBox theme manager)

Changes v.2.02:

- TextGamesView: Adjusted Box - Front, Max Height to 1150
- TextGamesView: Changed Favorite icon's default Visibility state to Collapsed
- TextGamesView: Icon DockPanel's Height changed to Autosize
- Updated Colors
- Updated hardware PNG

• Like 2

7 hours ago, viking said:

!! THEME UPDATE !!

Massive thx to @faeran ! :x

Already available on the download page + on the BigBox theme manager (pending validation)
(Prefer to use the BigBox theme manager)

Changes v.2.02:

- TextGamesView: Adjusted Box - Front, Max Height to 1150
- TextGamesView: Changed Favorite icon's default Visibility state to Collapsed
- TextGamesView: Icon DockPanel's Height changed to Autosize
- Updated Colors
- Updated hardware PNG

Thank you both for all of your work on this amazing theme! 

I just downloaded it from the Theme Updater, and did a quick once-over on all the platforms to check for color mismatches. Here’s what I found. 

Platform video color mismatch: 
  • NEO GEO CD
  • Taito Type X
  • Amstrad CPC
  • Commodore Amiga CD32
  • Mattel Intellivision 
  • MSX / MSX2
  • Nintendo Pokémon Mini 
  • Sammy Atomiswave
  • Sega Genesis
  • Sega Naomi

I downloaded all of the correct platform videos for this manually from the download page for this theme. 
Edited by clockw3rk

17 hours ago, clockw3rk said:

Thank you both for all of your work on this amazing theme! 

I just downloaded it from the Theme Updater, and did a quick once-over on all the platforms to check for color mismatches. Here’s what I found. 

Platform video color mismatch: 
  • NEO GEO CD
  • Taito Type X
  • Amstrad CPC
  • Commodore Amiga CD32
  • Mattel Intellivision 
  • MSX / MSX2
  • Nintendo Pokémon Mini 
  • Sammy Atomiswave
  • Sega Genesis
  • Sega Naomi

I downloaded all of the correct platform videos for this manually from the download page for this theme. 

Thanks for your feedback.
@faeran, I update our Google Sheets.

• NEO GEO CD  > OK, noted and corrected in the next theme update.
  • Taito Type X  > OK, noted and corrected in the next theme update.
  • Amstrad CPC  >  Damn, I see the mistake! There are two video versions here. By CMOSS and by me. The color is adjusted on mine! It's my mistake. I will correct this. In the meantime, download mine.
  • Commodore Amiga CD32  > OK, noted and corrected in the next theme update. But almost perfect color match already at home.
  • Mattel Intellivision  > OK, noted and corrected in the next theme update.
  • MSX / MSX2  > Damn, I see the mistake! There are two video versions here. By Tiualex and by me. The color is adjusted on mine! It's my mistake again. I will correct this. In the meantime, download mine.
  • Nintendo Pokémon Mini   > OK, noted and corrected in the next theme update.
  • Sammy Atomiswave  > OK, noted and corrected in the next theme update.
  • Sega Genesis  > OK, noted and corrected in the next theme update. Be careful when downloading. There are 3 versions of Genesis/MegaDrive/MegaDrive Jap
  • Sega Naomi  > OK, noted and corrected in the next theme update.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to get a Platform view in the 2.0 version that is more or less the same as the 1.X version Platform Wheel 1? Where it shows the System Name / Logo / Year of release, then show the full 16x9 video before it slides to the side etc? 

In some ways I just find it cleaner, but also helps the entire experience be more cohesive when certain platforms aren't covered by the Colorful theme yet. In the 2.0 they really stand out as you notice it right away when scrolling that the hardware image is missing. 

Also, how do you edit the colors / custom names for the 2.0 version? 

9 hours ago, OdinsPlayground said:

Is it possible to get a Platform view in the 2.0 version that is more or less the same as the 1.X version Platform Wheel 1? Where it shows the System Name / Logo / Year of release, then show the full 16x9 video before it slides to the side etc? 

In some ways I just find it cleaner, but also helps the entire experience be more cohesive when certain platforms aren't covered by the Colorful theme yet. In the 2.0 they really stand out as you notice it right away when scrolling that the hardware image is missing. 

The easiest way is to copy/paste a view.xaml from v1 to v2. But there will probably be incompatibility with the color management system per platform.

@faeran , for this v2, has totally recreated the theme with the Community theme Creator (you can find the sources on the theme download page).
Like removing the "hardware.png" from the wheel. Or customize/add platform colors.

Hi @viking! I hope all is going well-- I messaged you before about any interest in making this theme into an Android Launchbox theme; and after having finally received my Odin Lite, I made some small edits to the 16:9 Colorful theme in order to get your beautiful videos into the Platform page of Launchbox (I basically repositioned the videos to the right for the 'Wheel with Details' to fit nicely on the left, plus some other minor edits). I've included a small video below and thought some people may be interested in having these themselves, but I wanted to make sure you'd be happy for me to distribute them before I do so! 

Edited by Bawnanable

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2022 at 1:59 PM, viking said:

Thanks for your feedback.
@faeran, I update our Google Sheets.

• NEO GEO CD  > OK, noted and corrected in the next theme update.
  • Taito Type X  > OK, noted and corrected in the next theme update.
  • Amstrad CPC  >  Damn, I see the mistake! There are two video versions here. By CMOSS and by me. The color is adjusted on mine! It's my mistake. I will correct this. In the meantime, download mine.
  • Commodore Amiga CD32  > OK, noted and corrected in the next theme update. But almost perfect color match already at home.
  • Mattel Intellivision  > OK, noted and corrected in the next theme update.
  • MSX / MSX2  > Damn, I see the mistake! There are two video versions here. By Tiualex and by me. The color is adjusted on mine! It's my mistake again. I will correct this. In the meantime, download mine.
  • Nintendo Pokémon Mini   > OK, noted and corrected in the next theme update.
  • Sammy Atomiswave  > OK, noted and corrected in the next theme update.
  • Sega Genesis  > OK, noted and corrected in the next theme update. Be careful when downloading. There are 3 versions of Genesis/MegaDrive/MegaDrive Jap
  • Sega Naomi  > OK, noted and corrected in the next theme update.

There are still even more mismatched colors:

1. Arcade Platform Category video is blue but colorful theme color is purple. The Platform CATEGORY theme color should be blue, just like with consoles and computers.

2. The platform Category "Mobile" is green (should be blue to be consistent with the other platform categories) and the video is also green, but a different shade of green.

3. Handheld Category video is blue (as it should be) but Theme color is green (should be blue, too)

4. APF Imagination Machine color mismatch (different shades of green)

5. Atari 5200 very slightly different shades of blue (just enough to see a vertical line where the video ends)

6. Atari 7800 very slightly different shades of blue (just enough to see a vertical line where the video ends)

7. Casio OV-1000 color mismatch

8. Microsoft Xbox very slightly different shades of green (just enough to see a vertical line where the video ends)

9. Microsoft Xbox 360 very slightly different shades of green (just enough to see a vertical line where the video ends)

10. Nintendo 64 very slightly different shades of green (just enough to see a vertical line where the video ends)

11. Nintendo 64 DD very slightly different shades of green (just enough to see a vertical line where the video ends)

12. Nintendo Satelliview  very slightly different shades of yellow / orange (just enough to see a vertical line where the video ends)

13. Sega Genesis slightly different shade of red

14. Neo Geo CD slightly different shade of purple

15. Gameboy Color very slightly different shades of yellow / orange (just enough to see a vertical line where the video ends)

16.  PSP very slightly different shades of blue / purple (just enough to see a vertical line where the video ends)

17. PSP Minis very slightly different shades of blue / purple (just enough to see a vertical line where the video ends)

18. Tiger Game.com Color mismatch

19. Wonderswan very slightly different shades teal (just enough to see a vertical line where the video ends)

20. Apple II very slightly different shades of blue (just enough to see a vertical line where the video ends)

21. MS-DOS very slightly different shades of blue (just enough to see a vertical line where the video ends)

22. ScummVM very slightly different shades of orange (just enough to see a vertical line where the video ends)

23. Sharp X1 very slightly different shades of red (just enough to see a vertical line where the video ends)

24. Sinclair ZX Spectrum very slightly different shades of red (just enough to see a vertical line where the video ends)

25. Arcade Namco System 22 slightly different shade of red

26. Arcade Sega S-TV slightly different shade of purple / blue

27. Sega Hikaru slightly different shade of purple

28. Sega Naomi slightly different shade of orange

29. Sega Naomi 2 slightly different shade of orange

Those were all the ones I could find. Thanks for your hard work! Maybe these will be fixed in the future 😃

Hi @viking and @faeran !

Guys, this is  what I have now:

image.thumb.png.a3d69fe611f700ae0825c0ee1d50b683.png

Not sure if this is the intentional design, but honestly, I think this view could be better. It wouldn't be all bad, if the other items had a reduced size, so the selected one gained more prominence and didn't have to be cut around the edges. Any predictions to improve this? What happened to the good ideas we discussed in the past?

Here, two design suggestions.
What do you think?

ViewTEST01.thumb.png.7bb0e4ea06b91a22320125a05c3e461e.png

ViewTEST02.thumb.png.133ed0179079c9864c1265c157ecdf47.png

Edited by soqueroeu

@soqueroeu Yes, you are right.
In fact, this view should not even be active! It's a work in progress that I had coded/tested before Faeran redid the code with the Community Theme Creator.
Here is my original Photoshop mokup :

LIGHT_HorizontalWheel2GamesView.thumb.jpg.8572706299817bc4a433c4ca2d1f56bc.jpg

About the theme development, I have tons of ideas that are currently maturing.
I'm especially waiting for the next release of CTC with all the wheel options.
Please be patient : there will be beautiful things to come!!!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, crusadeRGP said:

I've made changes to this theme mainly adding a spinning disc or static cart behind the box when it appears using the CTC program. If I update to the latest version will it undo all the edits that I made and if so how can I update without losing any of my changes?

Yes. you've basically created a fork of this theme in the CTC. Maybe best to give your version a different name in the CTC and then publish it. Any new changes, you could download the new CTC files and see if there's anything you would like to update from them. CTC is pretty robust that you can copy and paste what you want and apply it to your theme. You could also do this in reverse and apply your changes to any new CTC files that come out for this theme.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I manually updated to 2.02 and it now has the game list horizontal view. Can someone share what I can modify in the axml to allow the boxart not to be cut off. Also maybe have up to 5 games displayed at a time rather than 3.  The SNES boxart does not get cut off so image size seems to matter. 

Image1.png

Image2.png

Edited by drewjbx