LaunchBox Community Forums

COLORFUL bigbox theme

viking

On 11/18/2022 at 8:07 AM, viking said:

My favorites with a few more notes! 

On 11/18/2022 at 8:07 AM, viking said:

PlatformWheel2FiltersView

This is great. I would recommend some sort of arrows or signifier to move up and down. I like the singular use of the background color so there can be no color discrepancies. 

PlatformWheel2FiltersView.thumb.jpg.d02357f0438985a22b8f4ca0f9780749.jpg

PlatformWheel9FiltersView

This is my favorite by far. I really wouldn't mess with this one too much. Simple, clear, with arrows to tell the user that they can scroll, and a single use of the background color so there can be no color discrepancies. 

PlatformWheel9FiltersView.thumb.jpg.db77dc3acd8dde2a4f2aa6fd98668520.jpg

PlatformWheel10FiltersView

This is excellent too, and I think it's better than the newer revision you posted. The grayed out background image looks amazing next to the flat background color. I might remove the tick lines next to the system name because its a little too busy. Could use a flat line, or no line at all. Might need to add an arrow signifier for up and down option. You would just need to be wary of the blue game count box continually not matching the other blue background color. Could change it to a black "play now" button like wheel 9?

PlatformWheel10FiltersView.thumb.jpg.2a044102c3a2258875f6b9e207ca2454.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I like this theme, modern and stylish but. Can i make it go faster? When I see the names of the games, it takes a few seconds until the screen with the information and the video appears, can it be changed to be instantaneous like in other themes?

Also if you accept suggestions, I would like if you can add more options, like seeing everything together without separating(video, details,cover... and add icons next to the genres.

Thank you very much and a very good theme!

Sorry for my english

EDIT: How I can use the new views? I download 2.02, but not working, i can update the theme in bigbox, but is the 2.0

Edited by hsycr1

On 11/18/2022 at 10:07 AM, viking said:

OK guys. It's time to show you some of my concept for the v.3 theme ! :)

But first, a quick review of the current version:

• Too much animation! It's too slow, not very reactive and finally, we don't take take time for play videos. For this v.3, I want to simplify all that. Animations: yes. But under 1sec maximum.
  • Trying to join the theme color with the video color is too painful. So I changed the design to avoid that. So, if there is a slight variation between the 2 colors, it will be invisible. Or at least not annoying.
  • I am annoyed by the limit of PlatformView. Only 4 today and all with wheels. Ideally, we should have the same number and diversity as for GamesView. (box, wall, coverflow, 3D)
    I already asked to @faeran who is passing on to @Jason Carr and the team. But his is a limit I have to deal with for today. 
  • Having a light and dark version is painful to maintain. If the limit of the point above is lifted, we can have only one Colorful theme. Which includes both light and dark views.
  • Some v.2 designs have already aged I think. :ph34r:

There may be other things to say! Do not hesitate to tell me in comments

I'm in favor of having a screenshot-only version, as long as gameplay videos are present.
I like the videos a lot. But they end up slowing things down... Also, not all of us want to keep tons of video files stored. Colorful is a very beautiful theme and with images it is already amazing.
Keep Going, my friend!

• Thanks 1

Hi @viking, congratulations on this wonderful theme.

Would it be possible to disable the animation of the game details that appears on the right every time you change the game in the list?

For me it would be much better if the right part with the game details was always visible and that only the game details themselves changed each time you go to the next one in the list.

The game box image appears immediately when you switch from one game to the next, but the details take time to appear due to the entrance animation. I think it would be better to leave the details always visible.

Is it possible to do this?

Thanks a lot.

Edited by Daliant
  • Like 1

OK. Time for a concept update. 🚀
As a reminder: v3 of the theme has not started its development! Still in the concept and Photoshop mockup stage.
I take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback. Even if I don't include them all, they are all useful!

Sorry in advance: this is going to be a long post!

PLATFORM :
I've done a lot of them. Much more than the 4 view limit.
I really hope this limit will be lifted by a future update!  🤞 ( @Jason Carr ;) )

PlatformWheel1FiltersView
PlatformWheel1FiltersView.thumb.jpg.482f01ef5d5b9a849561931367ca4aaf.jpg
Video background.
The original view, modernized.

PlatformWheel2FiltersView
PlatformWheel2FiltersView.thumb.jpg.406d6cab3bc29d82d96b3c86d71ca559.jpg
Video background.
Same, with wheel always visible. I don't think it's useful. It will probably disappear...

PlatformWheel3FiltersView
PlatformWheel3FiltersView.thumb.jpg.adefaa227cfca404be04935e99abf06b.jpg
Video background.
The original view, modernized.
It is really this variant of "box" design that I prefer =)

PlatformWheel4FiltersView
PlatformWheel4FiltersView.thumb.jpg.0e0da6620584f8ee0e07c697f404ff64.jpg
Video background.
The same, in dark design. I would like to merge the 2 versions (lite + dark) into one theme. It would be much easier to maintain!

PlatformWheel5FiltersView
PlatformWheel5FiltersView.thumb.jpg.0b6d6997181bef416b827ef7faa7b789.jpg
PNG hardware.
Views to take advantage of the new wheel.  Dark version.

PlatformWheel6FiltersView
PlatformWheel6FiltersView.thumb.jpg.bf0fa35dcb80fd74870a90ae0b140b60.jpg
PNG hardware.
Views to take advantage of the new wheel.  Lite version.

PlatformWheel7FiltersView
PlatformWheel7FiltersView.thumb.jpg.2aa54ec780b9e06a5dc4d961c6627a0e.jpg
Views to take advantage of the new wheel.

PlatformWheel8FiltersView
PlatformWheel8FiltersView.thumb.jpg.b28f09fe7ab1cda1c33dfe9f36a3c53c.jpg
PNG hardware.
Just some adjustments on my favorite view. No video. No centering. Just simplicity!
I started to make a logo set for the manufacturers, but the ratio is not always good. And some are impossible to get in good resolution.
So a large text in the background seems more consistent.

PlatformWheel9FiltersView.thumb.jpg.b55e1bcbccb7a90b784884b073404455.jpg
PNG hardware.
Another quick test.  =) Quick and snappy UI.

PlatformWheel10FiltersView (or  TextPlatformView  if it's possible ?)
PlatformWheel10FiltersView.thumb.jpg.b7cc25c058b86aeece9fadb607d242fd.jpg
PNG hardware.
Big bold text and that's it ^^ Love this one to !

GAMESVIEW
OK, let's see what we can do with the GamesView. Here, no problem of number limit!

WheelGamesView
WheelGamesView.thumb.jpg.77ff6a2c4bf24590a83a10fe02e7af37.jpg
Video Background
Legacy view, modernized. To avoid having to manage a lite and dark version : we switch to color !

Wheel2GamesView
Wheel2GamesView.thumb.jpg.2dbf924a5d03388c7aba9705ffe8450e.jpg
Fanart or gameplay image background.
A very simple view. The idea being to privilege the speed and the ergonomics of the interface.

HorizontalWheel1GamesView
HorizontalWheel1GamesView.thumb.jpg.2239f2ab49d9b01aa2c28bda9d305dcc.jpg
Modernization of an old concept.

HorizontalWheel2GamesView
HorizontalWheel2GamesView.thumb.jpg.5023e908019f17a3a90e8ffa00575fee.jpg
Small game with the cartridge front and the new wheel.

HorizontalWheel3GamesView
HorizontalWheel3GamesView.thumb.jpg.ce5eeba9c804aadca5f2e0914ce6aa85.jpg
More "TV" style. Like Netflix. Not sure here =/

HorizontalWheel4GamesView
HorizontalWheel4GamesView.thumb.jpg.594e190a1945fb21b425f44d21213a11.jpg
More "TV" style. Like Netflix. I prefer this one!

WallGamesView
WallGamesView.thumb.jpg.101151e1fc047eee5051f804b4af347d.jpg

Wall2GamesView
Wall2GamesView.thumb.jpg.cc5dfa44a6038aabd9db35c0125a8a8e.jpg

Wall3GamesView
Wall3GamesView.thumb.jpg.ad72a3407c6ce005d8b8ad47d85de232.jpg
Really not sure about this one. Too few items visible on the screen. Video on the top right.

The most difficult one will remain: TextGamesView
Not easy because it is the funnel. Everything ends on this view !

I look forward to your comments!
Thank you for reading to the end :x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Unusual Gem 2

Great update! Comments below on the ones I think caught my eye the most:

PlatformWheel3FiltersView
- Looking good! 

- I really like the full bleed color and minmal type design on the top part, but not really a fan of the icons at the bottom. 
- Perhaps it's only names (white on BG color) at the bottom? 
- Also would love for video playback to work on this.

WheelGamesView
- I like what I'm seeing!

HorizontalWheel2GamesView
- It's a cool concept.

HorizontalWheel3GamesView
- This would video backgrounds would be nice!
- Have fade be platform color instead of black? 
- I probably prefer the next one of the netflix-styles. 

- This is quite nice. I would simplify / remove the arrows and line below the cover art. Would rather haves slightly bigger covers than those big arrows.
- Have fade be platform color instead of black? 
- Would be really sleek to have video backgrounds on this. 

Wall3GamesView
- There is definitely something Wii / Nintendoesque going on here that's interesting. But it's also a lot too much bloom at the moment.
- Perhaps background video could look similar as Wall3GamesView, but with white fading instead? 

Edited by OdinsPlayground
Added some extra points
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if this is the right place to post this - I'm using the Colourful vids which are _awesome_ but I'm missing a load for things like "genres" / "developers" / mame genres like "ball & paddle" / "sports"  etc

1. Has anyone done these or similar that I can repurpose? I downloaded the full set from EmuMovies but nothing there that really works

2. If not, is there a source I can find some of the graphics that are used? I can't edit videos but I could whack together a static backdrop that would work within in PS or similar

Thanks!

4 hours ago, vaderag said:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this - I'm using the Colourful vids which are _awesome_ but I'm missing a load for things like "genres" / "developers" / mame genres like "ball & paddle" / "sports"  etc

1. Has anyone done these or similar that I can repurpose? I downloaded the full set from EmuMovies but nothing there that really works

2. If not, is there a source I can find some of the graphics that are used? I can't edit videos but I could whack together a static backdrop that would work within in PS or similar

Thanks!

There are a lot of stuff for collections/playlists etc either in "viking's nostalgia" videos (like colorful but with grey backgrounds) or by custom videos by users/fans on sites like here or EMU movies

2 minutes ago, PABastien said:

There are a lot of stuff for collections/playlists etc either in "viking's nostalgia" videos (like colorful but with grey backgrounds) or by custom videos by users/fans on sites like here or EMU movies

Yeah, I have tried these but I'm specifically looking for / hoping for the colourful videos that go with this theme so that everything looks similar

I'm figuring I'm not the first to have this need, but I'm unsure if anyone's created similar... Not been able to find anyone sadly

This is the one that really caught my eye. Reasons being that it has the unmistakable Colorful styling and plenty of things going on whilst retaining a simplistic look but it also has something important which I like, a wider view of systems always on show on the horizontal selector. If this one appears in an update, it will be my go to platform view straight away!

This is my pick of the games views. Love it!

Always used Colorful since day 1 of using LB 😊

Edited by Milocinia
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all Colorful theme users! I am looking for some feedback on using this theme with the new 2.5.X version of CTC, going further, doesn't matter which 2.5.X version whether 2.5, 2.5.1, or 2.5.2

I've noticed since the recent 2.5.X versions that color conditions on the wheel no longer function properly, this impacts view TextGamesView.

What this essentially does is not apply the proper dynamic color per the selected item, per what platform it is a part of.

*Important to note that I notice all other color conditions work fine still, as in if a background is supposed to be red for Sega Genesis it is, if it's yellow for Game Boy Color, it is yellow. So it seems like color conditions work OK in all situations with exception of this one element in this one view* (there could be more issues but this is all I know for certain)

This problem is not found if using CTC version 2.3 and I can load up version 2.3, publish the theme, and the color conditions work appropriately. I'm literally copy/pasting the themes folder into the newer CTC versions as normal but the same settings don't seem to work on 2.5.X and why I'm asking for feedback is I cannot get it working even taking other methods

I decided to test by putting in a new text box, in which it has text that displays the Game Platform metadata. So "Sega Genesis" when said platform or game from said platform is selected. I then made the color condition to use the newly created element I appropriately named "Platform Text" and if that text box has text in it that says "Sega Genesis" then be red ...etc etc....this is weird because THIS works....BUT....ONLY in CTC is the color condition now working with such a method. When I publish the theme and boot into Big Box it's like the color condition doesn't exist and only uses the foreground color for the selected item.

I am using the normally assigned Colorful_ListBoxStyle style source. I have not altered it either since I never worked with XML. Though the problem seems to be the same on any of the presets or other styles available in the drop down

Any feedback and/or help to get this ironed out is appreciated! Came here first to get input to see if it's theme specific before I would bring it to y2guru's attention if it ends up being something that appears like it's CTC specific. Thanks for reading!

Normal method and using the normal conditions profile (or any profile really) doesn't work in CTC or in BB

396121537_Doesntworkwithnormalcolorconditionmethod.thumb.png.f06e7ba7cf249ba31884a15b36f0fd3b.png

Using my funny method of making a separate text box with the game platform in it (populated through Game Platform metadata) only works in CTC, but if I publish this, in BB it will still look like the above photo where all selected text is black

1710340855_SpecialtextboxworksonlyinCTC.thumb.png.5269ee81a577b723d151ebf5d5759782.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded the latest and greatest update to CTC which is now version 2.5.5 and the above mentioned issue has been resolved. so if you're having this problem with 2.5.0 - 2.5.2 then update CTC and you should be good to go! the wheel's color conditions are behaving as expected now

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. Maybe someone could help me to figure this out.

I am editing the theme through CTC but when I publish many things are different. So I decided to test without doing any changes and publish and even so things are different. Maybe there are files from my actual theme that I should keep because they are edited but I have no shure which files I should keep. Heres what I mean:

Actual theme:

image.thumb.png.db097037a2327faaf0156ba4dc3816ce.png

Published theme without any changes:

Mainly is of course the size from platform categories and platform logos, the console images and the font itself. All fonts are installed.

image.thumb.png.13fff70e26c608c4e25c83dce4445c70.png