LaunchBox Community Forums

COLORFUL bigbox theme

viking

The correct place to put any updated Clear Logo's for the COLORFUL Theme is here:

LaunchBox\Themes\COLORFUL\Images\Platforms\Clear Logo

..and I also found that you have to Refresh the Image Cache for Platform Wheel Images under Options for it to update

Edited by knuckleheadz
  • Haha 1

I absolutely love this theme, I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help with:

Is there any way to change the games boxart to display the game clear logos instead?

And is there a list of games in the dark view or am I stuck using the white one if I want a list version?

11 minutes ago, max2173 said:

I absolutely love this theme, I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help with:

Is there any way to change the games boxart to display the game clear logos instead?

And is there a list of games in the dark view or am I stuck using the white one if I want a list version?

For the first one, this is determined by what is set up in the view for that section of BB and it is currently set to show the Box Art. A new view would need to be made that uses the Clear Logos instead, so while it's feasible to implement if Viking chooses to there is currently no way to change this unless you mod the theme yourself. At some point I'd like to see BB allow for themes to have settings within Views so that entire new views don't need to be created just for small tweaks like this.

For the second one, unfortunately yes because at the moment BB only allows for there to be one Games List view per theme and so Viking kept it as the original one which is the light version. He plans to eventually separate out the dark views into their own theme (A dedicated dark version of the theme) to get around this.

2 minutes ago, oblivioncth said:

For the first one, this is determined by what is set up in the view for that section of BB and it is currently set to show the Box Art. A new view would need to be made that uses the Clear Logos instead, so while it's feasible to implement if Viking chooses to there is currently no way to change this unless you mod the theme yourself. At some point I'd like to see BB allow for themes to have settings within Views so that entire new views don't need to be created just for small tweaks like this.

For the second one, unfortunately yes because at the moment BB only allows for there to be one Games List view per theme and so Viking kept it as the original one which is the light version. He plans to eventually separate out the dark views into their own theme (A dedicated dark version of the theme) to get around this.

Thanks for the quick response, built my pc very recently and having so much fun getting everything looking slick. I haven't even played any games yet ?

3 minutes ago, max2173 said:

Thanks for the quick response, built my pc very recently and having so much fun getting everything looking slick. I haven't even played any games yet ?

I'm in the same boat actually, other than that I have played a few games here and there as I got some of the setup done ahead of time on another PC and then migrated everything over, but polishing the metadata of my local database of 70,000 plus games is going to be a never ending effort lol XD.

Edited by oblivioncth

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a fairly easy way to tweak the theme a bit to add scanlines to the game video area?

The theme itself looks fantastic, but some of the lower res game videos blown up to near full screen look pretty bad. Some simple scanlines would really help.

• Like 1

I made a few tweaks to this theme to work a bit better for my particular setup:

• I adjusted the game video area to reduce cropping. This bothered me more than the perfectly filled space, so its a trade off.
  • I added a solid color aperture grille which was the same color as the dark theme background. I may replace this and play with different scanline/grile sizes. This allows for it to blend in with the background and adjust to any size video. There may be a better way to do this, but this was simple to do and I have little to no XAML knowledge. This has 2 benefits in my opinion: 1) Make low res videos look better, and 2) Reduces the brightness at night since I use a 55 inch TV.

I don't mean to tarnish the artistic integrity, but I thought I would share. This is hands down my favorite theme, and the way Viking so cleanly formatted the views, this was a relatively simple change.

IMG_1800.thumb.png.de723a00c1c0e5e721a332d1a07a1cb5.png

This is an outstanding work, tks a lot, really! I'm just trying to let the platform wheel a little bit longer before the slide out. And if it is, can I press right away button A to go direct to games view whitout going to the platform details? Which parameter I have to change?

On 4/29/2020 at 9:59 PM, midd said:

How can I remove the box art? It always seems to be in the

It’s pretty simple.
  - Identify which view you want to modify and the file name. Here : TextGamesView.xaml
  - Opens the XAML file with a text editor.
  - Fond and erase the whole paragraph "COVER BOX ART" (line 416)  +  The code for its animation. (line 152)

On 5/10/2020 at 5:25 PM, johnsanc said:

I made a few tweaks to this theme to work a bit better for my particular setup:

• I adjusted the game video area to reduce cropping. This bothered me more than the perfectly filled space, so its a trade off.
  • I added a solid color aperture grille which was the same color as the dark theme background. I may replace this and play with different scanline/grile sizes. This allows for it to blend in with the background and adjust to any size video. There may be a better way to do this, but this was simple to do and I have little to no XAML knowledge. This has 2 benefits in my opinion: 1) Make low res videos look better, and 2) Reduces the brightness at night since I use a 55 inch TV.

I don't mean to tarnish the artistic integrity, but I thought I would share. This is hands down my favorite theme, and the way Viking so cleanly formatted the views, this was a relatively simple change.

Good idea !! You can share your custom view here ? I will think about integrating it into the vanilla version.

On 5/16/2020 at 3:18 PM, mtib said:

This is an outstanding work, tks a lot, really! I'm just trying to let the platform wheel a little bit longer before the slide out. And if it is, can I press right away button A to go direct to games view whitout going to the platform details? Which parameter I have to change?

Thx !!!
It's going to be quite tricky to change a timing, since they are all dependent on each other. Change one, requires to adjust all orthers.
However, you don't have to wait for full playback animation to press A and go to the GamesView.

On 5/17/2020 at 4:59 AM, kidshoalin said:

would love a update on the next version, this theme is by far the best, I don't want to make another compiler for another theme, when's the new version, ETA?

... wait 2min ?

Update from end of quarantine !! (finally)

First of all, thank you all for your patience during this strange period. Today is updat day!!

ChangeLog :
Version 0.9 - Released May 19, 2020
 - New Feature: Split theme in 2 standalone version: Dark + Light.
 - Improvement: Eatkinola plugin update.
 - Improvement: Big performence optimization on PlatformView.
 - Improvement: Big optimization on PNG size. Theme + ClearLogo.
 - Improvement: PlatformClearLogo color correction for Dark + Light.

And here is the theme cut into 2 branches. LIGHT version + DARK version. Now the Dark version is end to end.
I stayed in "beta" because I'm waiting for your feedback, just to see if I'm not mistaken.
I also integrate the updated @eatkinola plugin, correct the ClearLogo Platforms (depending on the version of the theme) and do a lot of optimization, which I hope will make the theme more smooth.

To cut the theme in 2, I had to rename it. So you can have the old and the new version side by side.
It will be more annoying in the theme manager of BigBox, because I will have to create new pages.

I would also like to take this opportunity to say a GIANT THANK YOU to all my Patreons, it's heart warming !!! Thanks guys ?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, viking said:

Thx !!!
It's going to be quite tricky to change a timing, since they are all dependent on each other. Change one, requires to adjust all orthers.
However, you don't have to wait for full playback animation to press A and go to the GamesView.

@viking I guess so. When I´m scrolling the wheel works smoothly. If I stop scrolling, come the animation and it`s ok. Problem is when if I stop scrolling  and I start to scroll again before the animation comes, the system freezes for about 5 seconds. I don´t know if my hardware is not powerfull enough for this theme. I have a very compact mini PC mit Ryzen 5 2400G und 16GB. Should I try the update?

Thank you so much for your incredible theme!

I put together some updated images that I wanted to share in case anyone else would like to use them:

- Fixed Nintendo 3DS Platform Clear Logo Image

- Fixed Nintendo DS Platform Clear Logo Image

- Missing Platform NEC TurboGrafx-16 Clear Logo Image

- Missing Platform Sony Playstation (Dark) Clear Logo Image [Remove "- Dark" from name]

- Missing Platform Sony Playstation (Light) Clear Logo Image [Remove "- Light" from name]

- Change "Press A" button to "Press X"

P.S. Don't forget to "Refresh All Images" with-in BigBox settings after files have been placed in the appropriate folders.

Colorful_PlatformWheel1_ButtonStart_Dark_XBox.png

Colorful_PlatformWheel1_ButtonStart_XBox.png

NEC TurboGrafx-16.png

Nintendo 3DS.png

Nintendo DS.png

Sony Playstation - Dark.png

Sony Playstation - Light.png

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, viking said:

Update from end of quarantine !! (finally)

First of all, thank you all for your patience during this strange period. Today is updat day!!

ChangeLog :
Version 0.9 - Released May 19, 2020
 - New Feature: Split theme in 2 standalone version: Dark + Light.
 - Improvement: Eatkinola plugin update.
 - Improvement: Big performence optimization on PlatformView.
 - Improvement: Big optimization on PNG size. Theme + ClearLogo.
 - Improvement: PlatformClearLogo color correction for Dark + Light.

And here is the theme cut into 2 branches. LIGHT version + DARK version. Now the Dark version is end to end.
I stayed in "beta" because I'm waiting for your feedback, just to see if I'm not mistaken.
I also integrate the updated @eatkinola plugin, correct the ClearLogo Platforms (depending on the version of the theme) and do a lot of optimization, which I hope will make the theme more smooth.

To cut the theme in 2, I had to rename it. So you can have the old and the new version side by side.
It will be more annoying in the theme manager of BigBox, because I will have to create new pages.

I would also like to take this opportunity to say a GIANT THANK YOU to all my Patreons, it's heart warming !!! Thanks guys ?

Thanks for coming through with this despite everything. I'm glad that there is a 100% dark theme now and this version is much snappier with my large collection (60.000 plus) than 0.7.

0.9 seems to have a much more bare-bones options screen in the BB theme manager and there are no longer multiple Views to pick from compared to 0.7. While I actually prefer the list view for the games list over the clear logo "one at a time" list that 0.7, I'm just curious as to whether or not you took out the options because you're working on new/revised ones? Or if you feel that the current default/only views in 0.9 are the best of the bunch and are only keeping those moving forward?

Edited by oblivioncth

19 hours ago, viking said:

Hum, stange. A little hiccup would be normal. 5sec is too much!
Try to update my theme with today's version. (Attention, I changed the name of the theme. You will have to select the right one)

Installed yesterday. I had a few problems with plugins dll permissions at the beginning so I had to unlock them on properties. But for my system particularly, this version works way better, I mean about the problem I already mentioned. Thanks again.

15 hours ago, oblivioncth said:

Thanks for coming through with this despite everything. I'm glad that there is a 100% dark theme now and this version is much snappier with my large collection (60.000 plus) than 0.7.

0.9 seems to have a much more bare-bones options screen in the BB theme manager and there are no longer multiple Views to pick from compared to 0.7. While I actually prefer the list view for the games list over the clear logo "one at a time" list that 0.7, I'm just curious as to whether or not you took out the options because you're working on new/revised ones? Or if you feel that the current default/only views in 0.9 are the best of the bunch and are only keeping those moving forward?

No, I have not removed any views.
In the previous theme, the Light and Dark views were mixed. Here, they are separated into 2 different themes. That's why you have this impression I think.
The LIGHT theme has no new view.
The DARK theme, now has all the views (identical to the other) in dark version. (3 "new" view dark version in fact)

This update mainly concerns the foundations of the code. I put it online in version 0.9 because I await your feedback to finalize these views and polish these bases. It will be v.1.0 and the end of beta status. Afterwards, I will come to add new views / design!

2 hours ago, mtib said:

Installed yesterday. I had a few problems with plugins dll permissions at the beginning so I had to unlock them on properties. But for my system particularly, this version works way better, I mean about the problem I already mentioned. Thanks again.

Strange your permissions problems ... You installed it by the forum or by BigBox?
Cool ! The feedback seems to indicate that my code optimizations worked! I am reassured ?